PSB M4U 2
Apr 12, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #664 of 733
I got a pair of the M4U 2 headphones because I don't care about wireless headphones and prioritize SQ over ANC performance. Just took my first plane ride with them and am amazed with these. The ANC is very adequate for a plane. Listening to them now in amped mode without ANC in a quiet room and am mesmerized by the sound. The texture to the bass and mid range is fantastic. Loving these headphones so far!

Apr 13, 2017 at 7:46 AM Post #665 of 733
I got a pair of the M4U 2 headphones because I don't care about wireless headphones and prioritize SQ over ANC performance. Just took my first plane ride with them and am amazed with these. The ANC is very adequate for a plane. Listening to them now in amped mode without ANC in a quiet room and am mesmerized by the sound. The texture to the bass and mid range is fantastic. Loving these headphones so far!

Glad you had the same experience with them as me. Congrats on your new HP !

Jul 2, 2017 at 3:01 AM Post #666 of 733
Maybe I've just been lucky. (And now I'm probably jinxing myself.). I bought a pair of PSB M4U2s shortly after they were released. I admit I baby them and don't use them as much as some other phones, but I have not had the QC problems others have reported,

I am happy with the sound quality while traveling or with my rather noisy air conditioner running (which is when I use them most frequently). For classical music, the noise cancellation is usually sufficient. For popular music and jazz it is fine. With the amp on and no music playing I can hear some static on occasion, but most of the time I don't. My biggest gripe is with the unwieldy shape of the case.

I'm heading off for a vacation that includes a lot of train travel. I will be giving them a workout then.

Aug 6, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #667 of 733
After 4 years using my pair of PSB M4U 2s I am still very happy!!!
pros
  • very good (though not best) ANC
  • sound stage (width and depth) is absolutely great for a closed can :beyersmile:
  • superior sound profile of all ANC capable HPs I know
  • one of the best sounding closed HPs
  • easy to drive, even from mobile sources
cons
  • no bass head cans (sometimes I also want more - this is where my IEMs jump into play)
  • bad quality of headband material (said to be better with decessor M4U 8 - if available )
  • probably long term problems with ultra thin cabling
I'm still in love with them and would absolutely give the M4U8s a try if I have to (by losing my 2s) when seeing my only 2 wishes come true:
1) fixed quality issue of headband and cabling
2) a bit deeper bass

Regards,
Chris

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2017 at 7:09 AM Post #671 of 733
Every time I fold them cables will get under pressure. I sometimes hear only constant buzzing until I bend the cup containing the ANC unit.
So there is already an issue but it is (fortunately) going away... till now!
I also returned 2 pairs due to headband cracks and I am VERY disappointed by the way I was treated in the end (of guarantee period) by the German distribution company saying "this will be the last time we help you"! Remember this issue is often reported world wide and also here @Head-Fi...
Anyway: as I wrote I love these phones for their sound!

Aug 7, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #673 of 733
I'm over four years on mine and they are still going strong. No cracks or others issues, fortunately. My only beef with them is that they are a bit bulky for travelling, even folded up, ANC is pretty good and sound quality is superb.

Aug 8, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #674 of 733
totally agree
they are a bit bulky for travelling, even folded up, ANC is pretty good and sound quality is superb.
But who cares how you look like ... it's you having fun and they have to look at you - not you yourself.
One last disadvantage: the microfonic design - you can hear every touch of the cable so you have to sit still (relatively easy in planes)

Aug 8, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #675 of 733
totally agree

But who cares how you look like ... it's you having fun and they have to look at you - not you yourself.
One last disadvantage: the microfonic design - you can hear every touch of the cable so you have to sit still (relatively easy in planes)

I never said anything about how you look. They are bulky as in they take up a lot of space in my bag. I would prefer something that folded flat, since that would fit better in a briefcase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back