PSB M4U 2
Aug 18, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #706 of 733
Hey guys. A few questions for those familiar with this headphone. Originally I was going to get the M4U 1, but I figured having the additional amplification when not at my desk, and using noise cancelling for the two times a year I'm on a flight would be nice to have.

Question 1: Is the sound quality the same as the M4U 1 ?
Question 2: I'm getting a FULLA 2 DAC/AMP should that pair well?

I think that was all, but I might add more.

I find that whether or not the M4U-2 benefit from the built in amp depend on the source.

Through my phone or a DAP without much output power, the headphone Amp sounds better.

Through a DAP like my Fiio X5i with a good amount of output, the sound is better without the headphone amp on; The M4U1 would be just as good as the 2.

There is a slight hiss with the headphone amp on, but I only notice it in between songs, for the most part.

Aug 18, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #707 of 733
No, not with just the amp - but when you switch on the NC as well, you get some very slight distortion.

I went for the M4U2 over the M4U1 also because of the built in amp and was not disappointed.

Sep 10, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #710 of 733
Everything's possible, but I doubt - low volume, low recognition, low price brand/product. Just not worth the trouble making fakes. But as said, everything is possible.
Ok thanks

Mar 23, 2019 at 7:07 PM Post #711 of 733
So how is the durability on these from all of your perspectives? I have been debating getting these for a few months now (bc of sound reviews), but those Amazon reviews have me scared af because so many say that they crack or break or the leather peels off or the battery cover comes off, or internal wires get broken.

So? Is it a huge concern like I think or no?

Mar 24, 2019 at 9:41 AM Post #713 of 733
I've had mine for about 6 years. The left channel recently developed some crackling noise. I don't know the cause but it sounds like loose wiring. Otherwise they've been fine. Considering the amount of travel I've done with these, I'm fairly happy with the durability. No cracks in the plastic, battery cover is fine, pads are still in good shape.

May 19, 2019 at 12:19 PM Post #714 of 733
I travel with mine a lot and they’ve held up well so far - I’ve had them about 3 years. If / when they break, I’ll just buy another pair because I love the way they sound. Best headphones I’ve owned.

Nov 8, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #717 of 733
A complete bargain at the price, interested to see how they sell.

They're active again on Drop. $99 USD

Tempted but...comfort?, sound quality?, durability? Are they worth it just to fill a niche in the headphone collection?...why the extreme discount?

https://drop.com/buy/psb-m4u2-noise-cancelling-headphones/talk?utm_placement=0&referer=LRRMUA&mode=guest_open&utm_campaign=Automated Daily Promotional 2019-11-08&utm_source=SparkPost&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Daily Promotional&utm_content=1573210643118.193935323723671958833378#discussions

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2019 at 10:43 AM Post #718 of 733

Sound and comfort are good for a closed portable, durability is the Achilles heal, the plastic headband has a tendancy to snap. I would avoid personally, even for $99

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2019 at 10:58 AM Post #719 of 733
Sound and comfort are good for a closed portable, durability is the Achilles heal, the plastic headband has a tendancy to snap. I would avoid personally, even for $99

Thanks for the info. Do you or did you own them? Are they still intact if you do? The $99 price does seem a little "we're just trying to get rid of these". Thanks again.

Nov 8, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #720 of 733
Thanks for the info. Do you or did you own them? Are they still intact if you do? The $99 price does seem a little "we're just trying to get rid of these". Thanks again.

I owned the PSB M4U 1's which had the same issue. Cracking started to develop for me after about a year. I know people had the same thing happen with the M4U 2's, which essentially have the same headband design. I believe PSB claimed to have addressed the issue with the plastic, so it's possible the same problem won't re-occur, but I can't say for sure. Maybe they're just trying to dump stock since these headphones are a bit old now and they have a new wireless model to replace them. Given that they're under warranty I suppose it's not a huge gamble for $99 since you know the risk and can keep an eye out for any signs of cracking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back