PSB M4U 2
Jan 28, 2017 at 1:57 AM Post #646 of 733
I'm very intrigued by these. I've been considering getting my first wireless headphones, and these may well be it. Looks like they've updated the look and build a lot too, they look much classier and more understated. Hopefully a bit more robust too

Yea the updated design looks so much better compared to previous versions. I'm also really happy about the fact that you can plug it in to a computer via USB to use the onboard DAC / amp which I hope are well spec'ed.

Jan 30, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #647 of 733
Hey guys,

If I'm not mistaken PSB and NAD share a common thread. Paul Barton himself right?

If that's the case, I've been using a NAD Viso HP50 for about two years now and I'm already on a third pair after one of the inputs keeps cutting out on me. Seems like the scenario is the same with the PSB headphones?

I saw that video with the new PSB headphones. I wonder if they fold. 

Jan 31, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #648 of 733
  Hey guys,

If I'm not mistaken PSB and NAD share a common thread. Paul Barton himself right?

If that's the case, I've been using a NAD Viso HP50 for about two years now and I'm already on a third pair after one of the inputs keeps cutting out on me. Seems like the scenario is the same with the PSB headphones?

I saw that video with the new PSB headphones. I wonder if they fold. 

They do

http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/chris-martens-best-of-ces-2017-personal-audio/?page=2

Feb 4, 2017 at 3:18 AM Post #650 of 733
This might be a long shot, but anyone know if the Brainwavz Angled earpads will fit on the the PSB M4U2s?  I have a pair of Audeze LCD-3 and I just love the way the angled pads feels and works.  I want to get the same treatment for my PSBs when I travel.

Feb 4, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #651 of 733
This might be a long shot, but anyone know if the Brainwavz Angled earpads will fit on the the PSB M4U2s?  I have a pair of Audeze LCD-3 and I just love the way the angled pads feels and works.  I want to get the same treatment for my PSBs when I travel.

Just out of curiosity, could you compare the Audeze LCD-3 and the PSB's ?

Feb 6, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #652 of 733
The two really has no comparison.  I mainly use the PSB for my travels for obvious reasons w/Chord Mojo.  The M4U2 don't sound as "exciting" as the LCD3.  the LCD3 mid-range is just beautiful, the bass on the LCD is much fuller and the highs are clean.  The soundstage obviously is much wider for the LCD3 being an open can.  The M4U2 make the music feels compressed in a lateral sense compared to the LCD3.  A lot of times music I listen to with the M4U2 makes the voice a bit above my eyes, while the LCD3 makes the voice perfectly center around eye level.

Neither cans I would say is great for long term use.  LCD3 is heavy, but comfortable, a little sweaty around the ear with those big leather pads.  The M4U2 is light, but because of the compact design, it makes my ears uncomfortable (width of the earpads), also my ear touches the face.  This is why I am looking for 3rd party earpads that might fit.

Built quality is also a no comparison.  PSB is mostly plastic.  LCD3 is wood and metal and real leather.

Feb 6, 2017 at 9:46 PM Post #653 of 733
The two really has no comparison.  I mainly use the PSB for my travels for obvious reasons w/Chord Mojo.  The M4U2 don't sound as "exciting" as the LCD3.  the LCD3 mid-range is just beautiful, the bass on the LCD is much fuller and the highs are clean.  The soundstage obviously is much wider for the LCD3 being an open can.  The M4U2 make the music feels compressed in a lateral sense compared to the LCD3.  A lot of times music I listen to with the M4U2 makes the voice a bit above my eyes, while the LCD3 makes the voice perfectly center around eye level.

Neither cans I would say is great for long term use.  LCD3 is heavy, but comfortable, a little sweaty around the ear with those big leather pads.  The M4U2 is light, but because of the compact design, it makes my ears uncomfortable (width of the earpads), also my ear touches the face.  This is why I am looking for 3rd party earpads that might fit.

Built quality is also a no comparison.  PSB is mostly plastic.  LCD3 is wood and metal and real leather.

Thanks for the comparison. I have been considering moving up from the PSB's at some point.

Feb 17, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #654 of 733

I just got the regular Brainwavz HM5 pads on my M4U 1 last night and they fit great.  Lots of room, very comfortable padding.  While that confirms the angled pads will physically seat onto the cups since they're the same size in that area, I can't speak to the fit of the angled pads against your head - the PSB's cups don't have a lot of room for swivel.  On my head, they're already tilting most of the way with both stock and HM5 pads, so there's really no room without flexing the headband in some way.  If your head bends the cups the other way, you should be good.  In any case, I'd be prepared to return them, or have another set of cans in mind in case they don't work out.

As for sound quality, I got the velour pads and they definitely bleed out some bass, especially sub bass.  Granted, I lean slightly towards being a bass head, so YMMV.  It's still quite fixable with an EQ or by using a bass-heavy amp (I use a Creative X7 and I had the bass enhancement turned off; I just turned it on the default setting and it sounds good.)  They also leak a fair amount of sound, as you'd expect.  They add a certain airiness, still nowhere near as bad leakage as open cans, but they definitely feel and sound like a step in that direction without actually being open.  If you're concerned about leakage in either direction or you're a bass head then I'd discourage you from getting the velour pads, but they're a top-notch comfort upgrade otherwise.

EDIT: I ended up getting hybrid angled pads after deciding I wasn't happy with the bass on velour.  The angled pads fit, but barely.  If my head required any more tilting of the cups, they wouldn't fit.  YMMV, naturally.  The bass response is almost as good as stock, the soundstage is slightly improved (and naturally, the comfort is still a huge improvement.)  The hybrid pads are a no-brainer upgrade in my opinion, but whether you get angled or not is going to really depend on how these things fit on your head.  Like I mentioned above, be prepared to return or repurpose the pads in the event that they don't fit as well for you.  Fortunately, they do fit on a long list of large cans.

Feb 26, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #655 of 733
I also got the Hybrid/Angled Brainwavs pad.  They are a little bigger than the stock (fitting wise), but fits just fine.  The comfort is at least two folds better.  However, I noticed that the high-mids are now almost +5db higher.

The Brainwavz cloth part over the drivers is very thin.  Unlike the stocks there is foam layer.  What I ended up doing was unstitch the cloth part from the stock ear pads, and then split the foam from the cloth.  I put the thin foam part in between the drivers and the Brainwavz.  And totally calm the mids back to the original stock.

Mar 2, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #656 of 733
Can I just use a cable with this HP? How does it compares to the B&W P7 ?

Mar 9, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #657 of 733

Thanks for the comparison. I have been considering moving up from the PSB's at some point.

I would highly recommend trying the LCD series on for an hour before buying them. They sound amazing, but, the fit and comfort can literally be a deal breaker for many people.

They're extremely heavy. A lot of people say they can't use them for more than an hour.

Also, they really can make your ears sweaty with the stock pads that come with the LCD.

I thought the Audeze EL-8 were much more comfortable with an astounding, nearly unparalleled build quality, but with sound quality not at as good as the LCD series.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Mar 11, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #658 of 733
Considering a set of ANC headphones and don't want to pay the $500 for the newest BT sets like Beoplay H9 and Momentum Wireless. These have been out for a few years and aren't the latest and greatest in ANC headphones, but I'm wondering if they still hold up. You folks that still use them, would you still recommended them vs the newer sets out there? Thanks.

Mar 11, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #659 of 733
Considering a set of ANC headphones and don't want to pay the $500 for the newest BT sets like Beoplay H9 and Momentum Wireless. These have been out for a few years and aren't the latest and greatest in ANC headphones, but I'm wondering if they still hold up. You folks that still use them, would you still recommended them vs the newer sets out there? Thanks.

I think the PSB's are still (generally) regarded as the best sounding when not in active NC mode, the noise canceling, while fairly decent, isn't as good as the TOL Bose.

My understanding is the Sony MDR-1000X are comparable to Bose tech in noise cancellation, are better sounding than the Bose, if not quite to the quality of the PSB's.

I love my PSB's and would likely get another pair when/if these break. However I only need the active NC a few times a year, and the rest of the time I use them for general listening.

It is all in what is most important to you.

Mar 11, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #660 of 733
Thanks for the feedback. These weren't on my radar at first, but I noticed that in reviews for other headphones that the PSB's were referenced as a comparison, so I figured they had to sound pretty good. My priority is on sound quality with ANC only needing to be adequate. Sounds like these might work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back