PS4 with 3.5mm x2 Type Headset...
Sep 29, 2014 at 1:40 AM Post #347 of 411
  Hello,
I am new to this forum, so I hope this thread is still getting some attention.

I was also looking for a way to hook up my headphone + mic combo (akg k712pro+anlion modmic) with the PS4 without having to buy the Astro Mixamp. 
My setup is:  optical cable from the PS4 to my FiiO-Dock (E17+E09k) where my headphone is connected to. And the mic is plugged into an USB soundcard (CSL) wich is plugged right into the PS4 USB port.
The headphone output of the soundcard is empty.

At first this setup didnt work out for me, as the PS4 has recognized the soundcard as a "headphone" device. I could adjust the volume of the mic but couldnt hear myself talking.

!!! NOW by accident (or maybe it was just frustration) i removed the mic from the usb card, hooked it up into the dualshock controller same thing, nothing happening. 
>>>> BUT after removing the mic from the controller and plugging it back into the soundcard I was able to hear myself talking. The first thing I did,I jumped right into an online game to check if the chat works, and it does. I could hear other players and they could hear me talking. <<<

So as you can see, it is possible to get the gamesound AND chat through optical, while you're still able to talk through usb.
I hope somebody of you can confirm this, and see if it works.

Greetings

Yup this does work, I figured it out on my own earlier today and it works like a charm.

I am using one of those USB audio devices plugged into my PS4 (that has 3.5mm mic and headphone ports) and it gets treated as a 'headset' by the PS4.  However just by doing a really simple step, I have managed to reproduce this 100% every time to where it will output chat audio over HDMI/optical to an AV receiver or whatever audio device we want to use.

Step 1: Turn on PS4 and connect up one of these USB audio devices (I assume a USB mic will also work the same way, though I haven't tried one yet).  Let the PS4 recognize it and assign it to your profile if it asks you.

Step 2: Plug in a pair of headphones to the controller (or any 3.5mm jack, even an empty adapter works, as long as it isn't the headset that comes with the PS4 or anything else that will get recognized as a mic).

Step 3: Unplug the headphones (or whatever 3.5mm connection you used) from the controller.

Step 4: Enjoy chat audio coming from your headphones while being able to use a mic off the USB!

Seriously it is really that simple, and I have been able to make this work 100% of the time.  Not sure why it works, but it does.

Oct 1, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #348 of 411

Yup this does work, I figured it out on my own earlier today and it works like a charm.

I am using one of those USB audio devices plugged into my PS4 (that has 3.5mm mic and headphone ports) and it gets treated as a 'headset' by the PS4.  However just by doing a really simple step, I have managed to reproduce this 100% every time to where it will output chat audio over HDMI/optical to an AV receiver or whatever audio device we want to use.

Step 1: Turn on PS4 and connect up one of these USB audio devices (I assume a USB mic will also work the same way, though I haven't tried one yet).  Let the PS4 recognize it and assign it to your profile if it asks you.

Step 2: Plug in a pair of headphones to the controller (or any 3.5mm jack, even an empty adapter works, as long as it isn't the headset that comes with the PS4 or anything else that will get recognized as a mic).

Step 3: Unplug the headphones (or whatever 3.5mm connection you used) from the controller.

Step 4: Enjoy chat audio coming from your headphones while being able to use a mic off the USB!

Seriously it is really that simple, and I have been able to make this work 100% of the time.  Not sure why it works, but it does.

All I have to say you sir are a screw*** genius. Tried it out with COD Ghosts and to my surprise it really works. I can't belive that this s*** finally works It's like magic.

Now I can finally use my Coolermaster Sirus Headset on my ps4 with 5.1 surround sound and voice chat.

I salute you.

Oct 3, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #349 of 411
Hey guys great thread and lots of helpful info.

I'm in the UK and was wondering if someone could provide a link to what kind of usb converter i need for the mic to get leukoplast method to work?

I have a very good pair of 3.5mm jack headphones and will probably buy a clip mic to go with it ( any suggestions on that too would be awesome :D )

Oct 3, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #350 of 411
  Hey guys great thread and lots of helpful info.

I'm in the UK and was wondering if someone could provide a link to what kind of usb converter i need for the mic to get leukoplast method to work?

I have a very good pair of 3.5mm jack headphones and will probably buy a clip mic to go with it ( any suggestions on that too would be awesome :D )

First question is do you want to use your headphones for stereo sound or surround sound. If you just want to use your headphone for stereo sound you only need a usb sound card. If you want surround sound you need a decoderBox/Mixamp and a usb sound card.

I used this one for my ps3 and it works for the ps4 too. If you want to use it on the ps4 you need a usb extension cable.

LogiLink USB Soundcard

http://www.amazon.com/USB-Soundcard-Virtual-7-1-Soundeffects/dp/B0037AOUUQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1412351393&sr=8-2&keywords=LogiLink+USB+sound+card

Oct 3, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #351 of 411
Thanks for the quick reply :)

At the moment just stereo sound with a Headphone Amp as I don't have a decoder box. I just need something to plug a 3.5mm microphone in while using my headset through the TV headphone jack.

will that converter work with that setup?

Oct 3, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #352 of 411
  Thanks for the quick reply :)

At the moment just stereo sound with a Headphone Amp as I don't have a decoder box. I just need something to plug a 3.5mm microphone in while using my headset through the TV headphone jack.

will that converter work with that setup?

If you just need stereo sound you just need the usb sound card. Plug it into the ps4 and one cable into the headset jack and the microphone jack into the other one. But like mentioned before you only will get stereo sound..

Which headset will you use btw?

Oct 5, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #353 of 411
Something like this is what you need:
http://www.amazon.com/iLuv-iCB758-Audio-Adapter-Headset-Mic/dp/B007PFZEKY

There is 1 issue though, these USB Adapters, as simple as they seem are not all created equal. Ive tested many different brands with the PS4 and almost all of them have issues, hissing, static, pops. You can test this by recording a message to a friend then playing it back to yourself to test the sound quality of your mic. My advice is to stay FAR away from the cheap ones on Amazon as well as the Turtle Beach Amigo, they were the worst by far.

The one I use is a discontinued Logitech unit. You can still find them on ebay, but they are fake so dont waste your time.

The iLuv one I linked above was the only one that worked ok for its purpose.

Oct 6, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #354 of 411
I have no problems using my headset with my usb soundcard. Problem is when you connect the headset with usb with your ps4 so you can see the red coolermaster emblem flashing.
You hear some cracking issues if you use the mic.

So now I turn the light of the headset off.

Oct 13, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #355 of 411
Hey guys, just finished reading this thread and I had a few questions that hopefully some people can answer. I have a Turtle Beach DSS and a Philips Fidelio X1 + VModa BoomMic Pro.

The 2 together going into the headphone jack of the DS4 works fine for audio and mic purposes, however of course I'd rather have the DSS process the sound instead. The VModa is inherently a cable that has audio and mic on one cable, but it also comes with a splitter that separates both into 2 separate 3.5mm cables as well. What would be the best way to get the DSS processing the audio out, while having the use of my mic as well? Would getting one of those iLuv adapters plugged into the USB in on the DSS work?

Right now here's what I was envisioning:

PS4->Optical Out->DSS->Headphones Out->VModa Headphoines->X1
                                       ->USB In->iLuv->VModa Mic

or more preferably (since the VModa cables are short)

PS4->Optical Out->DSS->Headphones Out->VModa Headphoines->X1
                                                                 VModa Mic->DS4 controller

Is any of this possible? I will mention that my DSS is plugged into my TV's USB port to power it. Is that how it should be? I just did it because I didn't like the look of wires sticking out of my PS4.

Any help would be appreciated.

Oct 13, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #356 of 411

Sorry if I seem slow, but I need some clarification on what you did there.

Step 1) So I need to have the USB audio device only AFTER I turn on the PS4? Or can I just leave it there indefinitely?

Step 2) The headphones that I plug into the DS4 can not have any mic functionality?

Step 3) Once I unplug the headphones from the DS4, I reconnect my mic/audio cable to the USB audio device? But won't that force the USB device to process all the sound? I'm not seeing where this allows us to output sound to whatever device we want to use, especially if I want to use headphones?

Oct 25, 2014 at 7:53 AM Post #359 of 411
  At this point, my expectations are so low that I really dont care anymore. Ill be happy if they fix it, but Im not even concerned about it.

Well with Leukoplasts method my voice chat works.
Ingame Sound via optical and voice chat via usb.
You sound like your voice chat doesn't even work with his method.

Oct 25, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #360 of 411
I haven't touched my PS4 in many months. Not because of the headset issue, but because of life in general...However, I feel these features should have been there from the start. They had 7 years to build/design this next-gen system, it should've had these features from the start. Now we sit here a YEAR after release, hoping for something that should've been there in the first place. Im done expecting Sony to do anything that makes sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back