PS4 with 3.5mm x2 Type Headset...
Oct 28, 2014 at 5:55 AM Post #361 of 411
Firmware 2.0 added a few changes now you can select audio input/output settings like in the previous ps3 settings. But I still had to use Leukoplasts method to get the voice chat running. Really strange.

Oct 28, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #362 of 411
Yep, same here. Its like they half-assed tried to make this work. Everything would be fine if you could change the output setting to "System Default" like on PS3, except you cant change anything on the output settings.

So far, this was the only thing I was looking forward to with 2.0, but of course they failed again....Im done.

Oct 28, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #363 of 411
  Yep, same here. Its like they half-assed tried to make this work. Everything would be fine if you could change the output setting to "System Default" like on PS3, except you cant change anything on the output settings.

So far, this was the only thing I was looking forward to with 2.0, but of course they failed again....Im done.

Well with Leukoplasts method I can use my chat. If you plug in one usb soundcard and plug in one headphone into the controller and If you unplug the headphones from the controller it works.

With the new options you can see why.

In the audio settings we all use optical right? Input device is a usb headset( generic usb audio device) and with leukoplasts cheat the output device is tv or AV amplifier.

Don't know why you can't save these settings. At least there's one way to get the chat working. A dumb way but better than buying new headphones/headsets.

Oct 28, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #364 of 411
Well, its nice Leukoplasts method still works I guess...but I dont see why they even bothered putting in these options if you cant change them! I guess just for looks...lol.

Again, half-assed on Sonys part.

I should be able to plug in my USB Mic (input device) and change the output device to "TV or AV Amplifier". It would be that simple...but no, as soon as I plug in my USB Mic, output device becomes locked.

Oct 30, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #365 of 411

it seems there are two output device options `headset connected to controller` and `TV or AV amplifier`(when mono chat is unplugged from controller.

Its a step in the right direction but not really functional yet.

Dec 3, 2014 at 2:35 AM Post #366 of 411
Old thread, but I've seen a lot of mentions of the Mixamp, I just got the latest one (2014) and holy moly, it makes my MMX300 mic sound like a $2 toy. I've asked astro about it and they replied "Yes it will sound worse, that's how it's designed". Returning it.

The rest of you don't have this problem? I made a sound recording of the mixamp and using my macbook pro, it's a bigger difference than night and day :)

Jan 3, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #367 of 411
I can't talk about the Astro mixamp because I don't have one. You can try out some alternatives.

Turtle beach DSS2

or the soundblaster Recon 3D

If you go with the dss2 you need a usb sound card to get the voice chat runnin.

Mar 26, 2015 at 7:33 AM Post #368 of 411
Firmware 2.5 Update.

You don't need leukoplasts method anymore to get the voice chat running. But everytime you turn your ps4 on you half to select tv or amplifier again because the ps4 won't save the setting.

Mar 28, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #369 of 411
So after reading through this thread and found a solution to using an external mic and headphone with the turtle beach DSS.

All you need is a cheap USB desktop microphone from ebay and plug it into the front USB port of the DSS. Like this:

It works as well i tested it on the PS4. Only thing is there is no mic monitoring feature so you cannot hear yourself talking through the headphones so you won't know how loud your talking. But apart from that it works fine.

Mar 29, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #372 of 411
Has anyone tested the Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D USB Soundcard with the PS4?

http://www.soundblaster.com/products/Sound-Blaster-Recon3D.aspx#features

It takes an Optical in and USB.

Mar 29, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #374 of 411
I thought I'd solved it by buying an Astro MixAmp Pro (new version) but after friends started complaining I sounded terrible over chat and stumbling across a lengthy post on the Astro support page about the very same issue I'm sending it back for a refund.

Here's a youtube video of the chat quality with the MixAmp

The problem is certainly the MixAmp as when you connect straight to the Dualshock 4 controller the chat is clear again 

At first everybody was amazed by what Sony had done by moving the headset connector to the Dualshock controller but for anyone wanting half decent surround sound with chat, its a punch in the face. The only way the PS4 will accept a mic input is via the USB port on the front yet it only supports surround output via the Optical on the back.

I'm debating whether to just buy a USB sound card and forget about dolby.

Mar 31, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #375 of 411
So basically the method of using the USB desktop mic is very annoying. I rather have the mic on the headphone.

I know people said the method of using the USB soundcard plugged into the front port of the DSS doesn't work or have I read incorrectly?

Can't the headphone be plugged into the front port of the Turtle Beach DSS headphone jack and USB soundcard plugged into the USB port on the DSS. The mic then plugged into the USB soundcard?

Like this:

Will this work. Will the PS4 recognise the mic and output the sound via the headphone? The USB desktop mic method works but i'm not sure with a 3.5mm mic converted to USB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back