PS4 vs XBOX ONE (What would you buy and why? No fanboy like comments please)
May 29, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #1,081 of 1,094
I just came across this thread,Question i have a old racing set up that includes PS3,ButtKicker and logitech G27 mounted on a DIY rig with RACTIVE Racing seat that is collecting dust somewhere in the Garden shed:) does the G27 works with the PS4 now?Thanks!

Jun 1, 2017 at 4:19 AM Post #1,082 of 1,094
As I owned both for quite a time I would say go for a PS4. I ended up selling my X1 as I simply did not use it anymore.
Just go for the platform you like the exclusives more ( bear in mind that X1 exclusives are coming to pc also)

Jun 14, 2017 at 6:53 AM Post #1,085 of 1,094
With Xbox Scorpio now announced (Xbox One X)... there is still no competition if you have a PC available that can play the announced games. PS4 if you want consoles, stick with PC-MASTER-RACE for the rest :)

Jun 14, 2017 at 8:05 AM Post #1,086 of 1,094
With Xbox Scorpio now announced (Xbox One X)... there is still no competition if you have a PC available that can play the announced games. PS4 if you want consoles, stick with PC-MASTER-RACE for the rest :)
There's currently at least one thing that can make Xbox One S/X compelling even for many PC users (at least for me). Most PCs can't play 4K UHD blurays or stream 4K content even if they run games much better than Xbox One S or X. You'll need specific hardware components and software (Kaby Lake, Geforce 10 series, PowerDVD, 4K UHD bluray drive etc.) to do so. Updating most of your already powerful enough hardware components (motherboard, RAM etc.) just to get this one feature can be much more expensive than just getting the Xbox. Xbox One S/X natively has 4K UHD bluray playback and 4K streaming apps. Dedicated 4K UHD bluray player (like Panasonic DMP-UB700) could also be option especially if you have good surround speaker setup. But it can be as expensive as Xbox One S/X and you won't get the gaming capability and as good app support, e.g. Dolby Atmos app, which enables Dolby Atmos tracks from blurays (and games) to be processed into 2-channel virtual surround for your headphones.

Jun 14, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #1,087 of 1,094
Honestly, I do not believe at all that there will be true 4K gaming on either system. I believe it will be like the previous generation and upscale from a lower resolution to minimize power consumption on the budget parts necessary to keep costs down. As of right now, even the newest 1080Ti struggles with true 4K gaming. It can do it with some games, but the far more expensive Titan X is still king with its 11teraflops. The Xbox1X is a 6 teraflop system. To be clear, that is lower than the GTX1070 (which is 6.5), and that struggles greatly with 4K, but can more or less put out 1440. Now streaming and playing 4K content is another matter entirely. I can currently stream 4K with ease, and I can invest in a 4K bluray burner for $130 if I so desired. Just by a numbers game, neither system has the guff to pull off total 4K graphics. It just isn't in the cards for a $500 system.

Jun 14, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #1,088 of 1,094
I can invest in a 4K bluray burner for $130 if I so desired.
You could, but currently you still wouldn't be able to play 4K UHD bluray movies. For that you would also need to upgrade your CPU to Kaby Lake and get the latest PowerDVD software. You would also need to disable the GTX 1070 and use the integrated GPU on the Kaby Lake CPU instead. Even then it might not work because your motherboard also needs to have SGX and HDCP 2.2 implemented (with HDMI 2.0a output) for the integrated GPU.
http://www.cyberlink.com/support/faq-content.do?id=19144
The Geforce 10 series just got 4K streaming support on May, but they still don't have 4K bluray playback support. Hopefully next gen GPU's (AMD Vega/GF Volta) can handle all 4K content DRM alone without any other hardware (CPU/motherboard) involvement.
For now, 4K content streaming/playback has been made very difficult for PC users who don't want to spend big bucks upgrading their system. Therefore Xbox One S or dedicated 4K bluray player may be better option for those that need the feature now.

Jun 14, 2017 at 8:00 PM Post #1,089 of 1,094
You could, but currently you still wouldn't be able to play 4K UHD bluray movies. For that you would also need to upgrade your CPU to Kaby Lake and get the latest PowerDVD software. You would also need to disable the GTX 1070 and use the integrated GPU on the Kaby Lake CPU instead. Even then it might not work because your motherboard also needs to have SGX and HDCP 2.2 implemented (with HDMI 2.0a output) for the integrated GPU.
http://www.cyberlink.com/support/faq-content.do?id=19144
The Geforce 10 series just got 4K streaming support on May, but they still don't have 4K bluray playback support. Hopefully next gen GPU's (AMD Vega/GF Volta) can handle all 4K content DRM alone without any other hardware (CPU/motherboard) involvement.
For now, 4K content streaming/playback has been made very difficult for PC users who don't want to spend big bucks upgrading their system. Therefore Xbox One S or dedicated 4K bluray player may be better option for those that need the feature now.

As of Skylake many have SGX but it is disabled by default (post 4th Qtr 2015). You can enable it if you know what you are doing. It would be very easy for me to make my computer run 4K bluray if I so desired. I don't since I don't have a 4k display at the moment.

http://www.techspot.com/news/62324-intel-enable-sgx-technology-future-skylake-cpus.html

At worst I might have to upgrade my MoBo, if I need to do that it will still be around half of the cost of buying an Xbox1X.

Jun 15, 2017 at 1:32 AM Post #1,091 of 1,094
As of Skylake many have SGX but it is disabled by default (post 4th Qtr 2015). You can enable it if you know what you are doing. It would be very easy for me to make my computer run 4K bluray if I so desired. I don't since I don't have a 4k display at the moment.

http://www.techspot.com/news/62324-intel-enable-sgx-technology-future-skylake-cpus.html

At worst I might have to upgrade my MoBo, if I need to do that it will still be around half of the cost of buying an Xbox1X.
Maybe you are an exception then, but as I stated, for most PC users Xbox One S (~$250) or dedicated 4K bluray player can be cheaper option for those that need the feature now. Xbox One X isn't even out yet, so the situation is probably different then (AMD Vega/GF Volta could maybe alone handle 4K bluray DRM). Many PC users still have older chipset (e.g. Haswell, Ivy Bridge etc.) and the minor performance improvements aren't worth the upgrade to Skylake/Kaby Lake. For pure gaming performance, putting money on new GPU is much more sensible route.

Jun 15, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #1,092 of 1,094
Rompe, they released their specs, and they said clearly 6 teraflops. Destiny 2 will be played at 30fps. And they aren't going to change the GPU drastically like that (From Polaris to Vega). That would be the dumbest thing they could do. If they do that, the architecture of the GPU is different and thus all old games would be not optimized, that means either one of two things... 1) They need to patch EACH AND EVERY game in their library for the new architecture or 2) force their customers to play older games or games designed for their other system in a less than ideal way (read unoptimized). It will use the same architecture. Also, as I recall the Vega is looking to be in the 11-12TFLOP range, which is double the slated FLOPS in the XB1X. So yeah, an Xbox 1 S is the cheapest 4K bluray player you can buy (unless you have a system that can just be upgraded to a 4k bluray drive), but there is literally no reason to spend the $500 on the Xbox1X. You can more than likely upgrade your current system to better specs for the same or less than the price.

Jun 15, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #1,093 of 1,094
Rompe, they released their specs, and they said clearly 6 teraflops. Destiny 2 will be played at 30fps. And they aren't going to change the GPU drastically like that (From Polaris to Vega). That would be the dumbest thing they could do. If they do that, the architecture of the GPU is different and thus all old games would be not optimized, that means either one of two things... 1) They need to patch EACH AND EVERY game in their library for the new architecture or 2) force their customers to play older games or games designed for their other system in a less than ideal way (read unoptimized). It will use the same architecture. Also, as I recall the Vega is looking to be in the 11-12TFLOP range, which is double the slated FLOPS in the XB1X.
I don't think these teraflops, Destiny 2 30fps and other gaming capabilities or whatever you are trying to tell me here really affects 4K streaming or bluray playback, so I don't see how they would concern or interest me in any way. I do my gaming on PC.

So yeah, an Xbox 1 S is the cheapest 4K bluray player you can buy (unless you have a system that can just be upgraded to a 4k bluray drive), but there is literally no reason to spend the $500 on the Xbox1X. You can more than likely upgrade your current system to better specs for the same or less than the price.
$500 for a console is definitely too much. So Xbox One S is clearly better option unless, as I already speculated, Vega or Volta (one of which I'm planning to get this year/beginning of next year) would bring standalone support for 4K bluray playback, in which case I would only need 4K bluray drive + player software.

Jun 15, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #1,094 of 1,094
I don't think these teraflops, Destiny 2 30fps and other gaming capabilities or whatever you are trying to tell me here really affects 4K streaming or bluray playback, so I don't see how they would concern or interest me in any way. I do my gaming on PC.

$500 for a console is definitely too much. So Xbox One S is clearly better option unless, as I already speculated, Vega or Volta (one of which I'm planning to get this year/beginning of next year) would bring standalone support for 4K bluray playback, in which case I would only need 4K bluray drive + player software.

They don't. My point was against the new XB1X. The XB1S is actually a really good deal for a 4K Bluray player, but still only a mediocre gaming machine. The XB1X is just a waste of money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back