PS3 price revealed.
May 9, 2006 at 9:51 PM Post #106 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda
$500 is pretty steep but if it gets me whatever Final Fantasy and Tekken releases, then so be it.

That price isn't so bad, I paid $500 for my PS2 when it first came out (First one on the block to have one
biggrin.gif
).

May 9, 2006 at 10:25 PM Post #108 of 135
May 9, 2006 at 11:36 PM Post #109 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin
After one wins, or after the market has reached equilibrium, they will start crippling it.

Not going to happen. This has been covered on the avsforum ad nauseum.

May 9, 2006 at 11:39 PM Post #110 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by F1GTR
This has been covered on the avsforum ad nauseum.

Sadly, not all of us frequent that particular forum, but thanks for the info nonetheless . . . (if you can trust sony/microsoft that is)
wink.gif

May 10, 2006 at 12:04 AM Post #111 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin
Component can display hi-def content. It sucks compared to VGA and DVI, but hey, it can still do it.

I'd bet 9/10 people grabbed off the street couldn't tell the difference between component and hdmi feed of HDTV on my tv. Have you compared the two(three, rather)?

May 10, 2006 at 3:06 AM Post #113 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeeeMeS
$600 is chump change in the high-end headphone world

Yes, but let's compare worlds - console world vs. high-end headphone world. That analogy doesn't work for me. The former is mass market while the latter?

I've been fence sitting, but my decision is easier now. I'll pick up a 360 around when the new GTA comes out and wait and see for the PS3. Hell, the second generation of games is when stuff gets interesting anyway.

May 10, 2006 at 4:31 AM Post #114 of 135
ok, since we're on the subject let me get this straight. sony is in a huge format war with microsoft over who will control the new HD video format and thus who will make all the oodles of money off the lisencing. part of sony's stratagy is to make millions of people buy bluray players without knowing it, months before the average consumer even knows HDvideo exists. once it comes time for studios to start releasing HD movies en masse, they'll choose bluray by default due the the massive existing market. the blueray support partially accounts for the playstation's high price.
so therefore, sony is so interested in winning the format war that it's willing to suffer slower sales of it's console and possibly risk the top console spot in the states to M$, but ultimatly come out ahead in the HDvideo arena. am i reckoning this all about square?

May 10, 2006 at 4:51 AM Post #115 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli
Ok; so it costs 600$ US with a 60gb hard drive. But look at what you're getting. The CPU and GPU is far ahead of what we see on home PCs and I see it as quite a bargain. True some functionalities are lost but multimedia and games are incredibly streamlined and I like the PS3's feature set more then that of the 360 which seems more like a toy to the PS3. I've always liked Sony's consoles (circa PS1) and this one is no exception.

Haven't read the whole thread yet, but I'de love to debate this with you at the next meet if it's soon. Just think about wha they are cheating you out on. a 60 gb hard drive? PFft, even if it's a gaming device, it's still supose to be an HT device, and 60 gb is just too small. For $600, regardless of component prices, they should had at least packed it with 100+gb. Also, no hdmi for the $499 model? Ridiculous..., I honestly thought HDMI was the biggest difference over the 360 other then specs (for the 1080p.)

May 10, 2006 at 5:03 AM Post #116 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Headphony
Dang, I was really looking forward to that boomerang controller.
icon10.gif

I know, I am the only one who wanted to give something new a try out? For all wek now, that was the most comfertable piece of ugly killing thing ever.

On another note, does anyone else other then me feel offended by all the data we had been given like a year back about dual hdmi and stuff, with pretty much none of that coming true? I had an arguement with a friend who I thought was very ignorant about the ps3 topic, and amazingly he was correct about everything he said. It just makes me tear inside how Sony plays this out, the one thing that stops me from considering to pay the $600 is the proprietary DRM crap, and the fear that blu-ray may not suceed.

May 10, 2006 at 5:12 AM Post #117 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaGWiRE
Haven't read the whole thread yet, but I'de love to debate this with you at the next meet if it's soon. Just think about wha they are cheating you out on. a 60 gb hard drive? PFft, even if it's a gaming device, it's still supose to be an HT device, and 60 gb is just too small. For $600, regardless of component prices, they should had at least packed it with 100+gb. Also, no hdmi for the $499 model? Ridiculous..., I honestly thought HDMI was the biggest difference over the 360 other then specs (for the 1080p.)

At least you're getting a hard drive!
The $2000 L3000s don't even include a hard drive!

Ok sure the PS3 might be overpriced. They're a far cry from $800 cable overpriced or $2000+ headphone overpriced though.

May 10, 2006 at 5:20 AM Post #118 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeeeMeS
At least you're getting a hard drive!
The $2000 L3000s don't even include a hard drive!

Ok sure the PS3 might be overpriced. They're a far cry from $800 cable overpriced or $2000+ headphone overpriced though.

Yeah, well, high end headphones entertain a pretty small audience I would say (well, head-fi compared to several countries full of a large percentile of the audience using consoles at home for gaming.)

Now that I'm thinking about it, the main factors for me will be:
1) Will it get cracked / modded? Homebrew software for a beastly console like that which features blu-ray would be amazing, similiar to all the advantages of 3rd party software for modded xboxes (say XBMC.)
2) What type of functionality will it have out of the box? I.E. will it be able to really take over the whole set of entertainment gear you have? For example, wil it have the ability to act as PVR, or to act as an hd-dvd + sacd player with good quality? (Not sure about hd-dvd actually.)
3) The online gameplay. I wasn't overly impressed with the 360's graphics and this and that, because that is all forgotten to me when I am gaming, it's all about the gameplay and online experience itself. That is the one thing I can say I value and that I love about my 360 purchase. The online interface is so greatly advanced, espicaly in comparison to my original xbox.
4) Will it have anything that will be upgradeable by 3rd party manufacters? If so, are we talking about mere preipharels like the 360, or can we actually replace the HD for example with a similiar 2.5 or 3.5" drive?

May 10, 2006 at 5:35 AM Post #119 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by bpm2000
I'd bet 9/10 people grabbed off the street couldn't tell the difference between component and hdmi feed of HDTV on my tv. Have you compared the two(three, rather)?

Yep. Load up GRAW on the Xbox 360 with the VGA cable and the Component cables, and do some tweaking to match color space. Instant difference in sharpness and resolution. Bring up pretty much anything on my Panasonic S-97 and run it in upscaled pixel perfect mode on HDMI vs progressive upscale mode on component. Again, large difference in sharpness. In both cases, VGA/HDMI have no overscan, while component does. Compare HDMI against VGA on a PC, and HDMI wins due to slightly faster response and usually better color. The differences are there, and are fairly major, if you care to be discerning.

May 10, 2006 at 5:36 AM Post #120 of 135
I was just wonderin how many headfiers want to get the PS3 for it;s role as a blu ray player and how many want it as a straight games console.

My interest in the Ps3 is as a straight games console.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back