PS3 price revealed.
May 9, 2006 at 4:26 PM Post #91 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Usagi
I may be alone on this one, but I loath binding contracts and monthly payments for entertainment/recreational purposes. I wonder...., if you miss a payment, does MS send that $7.99 to collections and notify the "Big 3"; Experian, TransUnion, Equifax?
rolleyes.gif

Nope, you buy a card with a pin on it that when you put it into your live account you get your 12 months. You pay it all up front. When your time is up you buy another.

The other way, is month to month, which I'm guessing comes off of a CC...

May 9, 2006 at 4:34 PM Post #92 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Usagi
I may be alone on this one, but I loath binding contracts and monthly payments for entertainment/recreational purposes. I wonder...., if you miss a payment, does MS send that $7.99 to collections and notify the "Big 3"; Experian, TransUnion, Equifax?
rolleyes.gif

nah, they just send the guy from hellraiser.

WHAT IS YOUR WISH!?!?

May 9, 2006 at 4:38 PM Post #93 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
Dreamcast had free online gaming too. So does the PSP, but then non of them are as advanced and fluid as live. Live is just much better. Its not too expnesive either, at the most its 7.99 if you just want to pay month by month.

Nevertheless is the nintendo wifi network working really nicely with the ds and i wouldn't be surprised if they expanded it for the wii.

the dreamcast isn't a good comparison, it had a 56k modem and not a lot of games to play online. No wonder that xbox live is more fluid. I haven't had any experience with the psp though.

and yes i hate monthly payments

May 9, 2006 at 5:51 PM Post #95 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
i dunno, playing nhl 2k6 with some 14 year old in arkansas, yelling I OWNED!@! on his mic isn't the make or break point of a console for me. Sure online gaming is great, but let's not kid ourselvse here ok.

Sure gaming against random strangers on the internet often sucks, but coop and team play with friends really makes online gaming a better experience than vs the AI. Plus mics are rather useful and greatly improve the experience in team based games like GRAW, Splinter Cell, or Battlefield 2.

May 9, 2006 at 6:01 PM Post #96 of 135
No hdmi and no memcard slots? The "cheaper" version is a total rip-off imho.

May 9, 2006 at 7:05 PM Post #98 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabe Logan
Since the $500 version does not have HDMI then what does it have to display high def content?

Component can display hi-def content. It sucks compared to VGA and DVI, but hey, it can still do it.

May 9, 2006 at 7:14 PM Post #100 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by mightyacorn
The PS3 is expensive as next-gen consoles go, but since it also has Blu-ray it is within reasonable limits- a HD DVD player sells for $500US at the moment.

Similar situation with the PS2 at launch, $300 for a game console + DVD player was a great deal one mediocre stand alones were going for $200+.

Still the DVD player in the PS2 is really poor quality, so I'm not expecting much from the PS3; I just know the video playback will be something Sony is going to skimp on
rolleyes.gif

But as long as it has good games I'll get one for sure. Up until now I've owned a ton of consoles and the PS2 is the one console that I've purchased the most games for. So many exclusive franchises make it worth it (Final Fantasy, Metal Gear, Devil May Cry, Katamari, Grand Theft Autos (no delays) )

May 9, 2006 at 7:18 PM Post #101 of 135
Component huh?Correct me if i am wrong but that seems like a great idea.Those who purchased hdtv's in the past now can have a high def player without buying a totally new television that has to carry hdmi.That could fuel the sales of the $500 version.

Also is anyone taking pre-orders at the moment?

May 9, 2006 at 7:38 PM Post #102 of 135
Everyone has component, including all of the current and next gen consoles, and all of the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray players.

The only issue is that the studios are threatening to cripple component out on HD-DVD and Blu-Ray, limiting resolution to ~ 540p. Better than 480p DVD, but still not that great.

May 9, 2006 at 9:33 PM Post #103 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin
Everyone has component, including all of the current and next gen consoles, and all of the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray players.

The only issue is that the studios are threatening to cripple component out on HD-DVD and Blu-Ray, limiting resolution to ~ 540p. Better than 480p DVD, but still not that great.

all studios, including sony has said they wont cripple it as of now

May 9, 2006 at 9:36 PM Post #104 of 135
Only for competitive advantage though. Whichever one crippled resolution at this point in time would easily lose the format war. After one wins, or after the market has reached equilibrium, they will start crippling it.

May 9, 2006 at 9:47 PM Post #105 of 135
$500 is pretty steep but if it gets me whatever Final Fantasy and Tekken releases, then so be it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back