PS3 price revealed.
May 10, 2006 at 5:40 AM Post #121 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
I was just wonderin how many headfiers want to get the PS3 for it;s role as a blu ray player and how many want it as a straight games console.

My interest in the Ps3 is as a straight games console.

I'm interested in it if it turns out to be a universal player (hd-dvd, dual disc, sacd, cd, dvd, blu-ray, etc), and a gaming device, but probably more gaming. I would say that would be a big deal breaker for me though, because I myself need a good sacd/dvd-a player, and this could be the solution. I'm going to be getting a dac in the future, so the quality of the player doesn't matter that much as I probably won't be using it without the dac, but I do need some sort of universal player, and most of them which seem half decent are quite expensive.

May 10, 2006 at 8:04 AM Post #122 of 135
Quote:

I was just wonderin how many headfiers want to get the PS3 for it;s role as a blu ray player and how many want it as a straight games console.

I could care less about the PS3's BluRay Movie playing. When I buy a gaming console, I want to play games.

Sony's suicidal pricing may be OK in Japan, but it will die in the US market. Especially considering that their competition will be nearly half the price.

-Ed

May 10, 2006 at 8:10 AM Post #123 of 135
This little tidbit will be of more interest to us, as Head-fiers more specifically.

System Noise:

Look at the growth in the size of the PS3, and the added number of vents.

ps2point52xw.jpg

Old design on left(silver), latest on the right(black).

The biggest noise generator in the XBox 360 is the DVD drive. Now the 2x BluRay will no doubt be quieter, but the internal cooling fans will probably not be. The two ducted 80mm fans in the XBox 360 are pretty quiet, with a lower frequency noise. But given the tapered style of the PS3's enclosure, it's doubtful it will have larger fans, but rather more smaller sized ones spinning faster = higher pitched, whiny noise.

And with the PSU being internal (as it looks currently, this can always change) in the PS3, rather than the ginormous power brick the 360 has, it will only add to the internal heat of the PS3.

So, maybe Sony will pull off a quiet unit, but as it looks, it's very doubtful it will be a quiet unit.

I guess all of my next gen gaming will be with IEM's.
rolleyes.gif

-Ed

May 10, 2006 at 9:56 AM Post #124 of 135
You are wrong there.The 360 is known for having a huge amount of fan noise.

Also you got to remember that the PS3 unlike the 360 was made with lower power consumption in mind in the Cell processor while the 3 core 360 is a power hog.

May 10, 2006 at 1:26 PM Post #125 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
So, maybe Sony will pull off a quiet unit, but as it looks, it's very doubtful it will be a quiet unit.

Well, they wouldn't say this if that's the case:
http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/rele...f/060509ae.pdf
Quote:

For use in living rooms, maximum heat and noise reduction has been achieved with a
noise level equivalent to that of the current slim-line PlayStation 2.

May 10, 2006 at 2:14 PM Post #126 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabe Logan
You are wrong there.The 360 is known for having a huge amount of fan noise.

Also you got to remember that the PS3 unlike the 360 was made with lower power consumption in mind in the Cell processor while the 3 core 360 is a power hog.

Really? My 360 barely makes any noise at all unless the DVD drive is spinning, I definitely can't agree with a "huge amount of fan noise".

May 10, 2006 at 2:19 PM Post #127 of 135
Quote:

Only games. When I get a 1080p TV I want a outstanding blue-ray (if it's the new format) player, which means stand alone.

May 10, 2006 at 2:20 PM Post #128 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaGWiRE
... I'm going to be getting a dac in the future, so the quality of the player doesn't matter that much as I probably won't be using it without the dac, ...

Don't plan on using an external DAC with SACD or DVD-A. It's not really possible at the moment unless it's a proprietary connection between two boxes from the same manufacturer. Also, it may be hard to find a multi-ch DAC if that's something you care about in those formats.

edit: just poking around at some of this HDMI 1.3 stuff and realized that HDMI 1.2 supports 8 channels of 1-bit audio. Perhaps it is possible to have standardized hi-rez digital audio outputs now? Sorry to get off topic anyway.

May 10, 2006 at 3:51 PM Post #129 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuroraProject
Really? My 360 barely makes any noise at all unless the DVD drive is spinning, I definitely can't agree with a "huge amount of fan noise".

x2

May 10, 2006 at 4:32 PM Post #130 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by jefemeister
Don't plan on using an external DAC with SACD or DVD-A. It's not really possible at the moment unless it's a proprietary connection between two boxes from the same manufacturer. Also, it may be hard to find a multi-ch DAC if that's something you care about in those formats.

edit: just poking around at some of this HDMI 1.3 stuff and realized that HDMI 1.2 supports 8 channels of 1-bit audio. Perhaps it is possible to have standardized hi-rez digital audio outputs now? Sorry to get off topic anyway.

Not looking for multi channel, and you bring up a decent point, I might need hdmi / a reciever to even be able to get any sort of digital output from sacd or dvd-a.

May 10, 2006 at 4:41 PM Post #131 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by bpm2000
I'd bet 9/10 people grabbed off the street couldn't tell the difference between component and hdmi feed of HDTV on my tv. Have you compared the two(three, rather)?

It's more than obvious on my beamer.

May 10, 2006 at 5:02 PM Post #132 of 135
You know, I've got a 360 now, and I was planning on putting my name down for the PS3. I might not now. The issue isn't $600... I'd gladly pay that (and have) for headphones / related gear.

Thing is, I'm guessing that I could pick up a Wii more easily and with 4 games + a few controllers for the same approximate price. I can't imagine the Wii being more than $250-$300 tops.

May 10, 2006 at 5:43 PM Post #133 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin
Yep. Load up GRAW on the Xbox 360 with the VGA cable and the Component cables, and do some tweaking to match color space. Instant difference in sharpness and resolution. Bring up pretty much anything on my Panasonic S-97 and run it in upscaled pixel perfect mode on HDMI vs progressive upscale mode on component. Again, large difference in sharpness. In both cases, VGA/HDMI have no overscan, while component does. Compare HDMI against VGA on a PC, and HDMI wins due to slightly faster response and usually better color. The differences are there, and are fairly major, if you care to be discerning.

Admittedly I've not compared an XBOX 360 (getting one soonish) but I do actually have the same DVD player. My tv is not calibrated ISF but with Video Essentials so that may also be a factor if yours is the former. Ive found the component/HDMI from either my panny dvd player (upscaled) or the moto cable box from comcast to be very similar. I can pick out tiny differences here, but nothing I would call "large". I'm on a CRT Panasonic 34" also. I guess too many variables to really make a claim
wink.gif
. Whats GRAW btw?

May 10, 2006 at 6:31 PM Post #134 of 135
Well I certainly hope the PS3 does very well as I'll probably be working on titles for it later so I do have a personal interest in it's success. I'll probably get the top end model myself if the movies come as I will want a Hi-Def video player as well as console. Price is similar to what I was expecting.

May 10, 2006 at 6:42 PM Post #135 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by bpm2000
Admittedly I've not compared an XBOX 360 (getting one soonish) but I do actually have the same DVD player. My tv is not calibrated ISF but with Video Essentials so that may also be a factor if yours is the former. Ive found the component/HDMI from either my panny dvd player (upscaled) or the moto cable box from comcast to be very similar. I can pick out tiny differences here, but nothing I would call "large". I'm on a CRT Panasonic 34" also. I guess too many variables to really make a claim
wink.gif
. Whats GRAW btw?

Heh, yep. I'm on a 30" LCD. From what I've seen, avoiding overscan and the ability to run perfectly pixel mapped are the mains reason why VGA and HDMI look better on my TV, but obviously these advantages don't apply to those lucky enough to have large CRTs.

GRAW is Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter. It's a tactical shooter, and I'd say it's the best looking Xbox 360 game out now. Excellent game to boot. It really shows Ubisoft's dedication to true multiplatform gaming as the Xbox 360 (tactical shooter), PC (squad based shooter), and Xbox (lower spec Xbox 360) all have different versions of the same game tailored towards the platform.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back