PS1000s shipping
Jul 10, 2009 at 1:10 PM Post #616 of 644
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
..and guys, please stop quoting all those pictures.
wink.gif

Yes, please

Jul 10, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #617 of 644
Quote:

Originally Posted by ical /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I replaced them with JMoney Audio headband version 3 which is much more comfortable over the stock with it's wider and thicker padding. Ideal for heavy cans like PS1000 as it helps to distribute the weight over the head as well as a firmer grip.

What do you do for the itchy pads?

Jul 10, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #619 of 644
Quote:

Yes, I replaced them with JMoney Audio headband version 3 which is much more comfortable over the stock with it's wider and thicker padding. Ideal for heavy cans like PS1000 as it helps to distribute the weight over the head as well as a firmer grip.

How would you compare the GS1000 to PS1000 Sound?

Jul 10, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #621 of 644
ical - from the beautiful pictures you've posted I noticed that your GS1000 'phones look particularly glossy/shiny. Is that "as delivered" or have you put an additional finish or polish on them?

I'm very envious of the PS1000...I have the option of trading in my GS1Ki for them plus the balance, but it's been hard for me to justify...

Thanks!

Jul 10, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #622 of 644
Quote:

PS1000 has a more forward mid, sweeter high and better bass. Will have to wait for it to burn in before any serious listening.

This sounds very promising.
smile_phones.gif
But can you specify 'better bass', please?

Jul 10, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #623 of 644
Quote:

Originally Posted by indydieselnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ical - from the beautiful pictures you've posted I noticed that your GS1000 'phones look particularly glossy/shiny. Is that "as delivered" or have you put an additional finish or polish on them?

I'm very envious of the PS1000...I have the option of trading in my GS1Ki for them plus the balance, but it's been hard for me to justify...

Thanks!

It was treated with polish and conditioner that's use for musical instrument which doesn't harm the wood. Not recommended for newbie as it require some knowledge and skill to do it.

PS1000 is definitely a better cans than GS1000. For almost double the price, it better be. I'll still keep my GS1000 as it's warmness and timber still sound magical to me. Maybe my pair is fully burned in. PS1000 still sound a little raw now. It keeps getting better so I believe it'll need at least 200hrs to show it's true colors.

Best to audition and let your ears be the judge. Then decide whether it justify the upgrade. For me, it worth every cents.

Jul 10, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #624 of 644
Quote:

Originally Posted by mopps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This sounds very promising.
smile_phones.gif
But can you specify 'better bass', please?

Lower and tighter bass with definition.

Jul 10, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #625 of 644
Quote:

Lower and tighter bass with definition.

Sounds even more promising!
happy_face1.gif
Thanks and happy listening!
gs1000.gif

Jul 10, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #627 of 644
Quote:

Originally Posted by indydieselnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks!

Do it - the PS-1000 at CanJam were definitely better than the GS-1000. The mids were much more vivid and clear, being the biggest difference to me.

Jul 10, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #628 of 644
Quote:

It was treated with polish and conditioner that's use for musical instrument which doesn't harm the wood. Not recommended for newbie as it require some knowledge and skill to do it.

PS1000 is definitely a better cans than GS1000. For almost double the price, it better be. I'll still keep my GS1000 as it's warmness and timber still sound magical to me. Maybe my pair is fully burned in. PS1000 still sound a little raw now. It keeps getting better so I believe it'll need at least 200hrs to show it's true colors.

Best to audition and let your ears be the judge. Then decide whether it justify the upgrade. For me, it worth every cents.

It will indeed get better. I have had mine for a few weeks, I was happy with the sound out of the box but is has improved since.

Jul 10, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #629 of 644
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Di it - the PS-1000 at CanJam were definitely better than the GS-1000. The mids were much more vivid and clear, being the biggest difference to me.

I certainly believe you! I have until March of next year, so I guess I'll start saving my pennies...the DT880 600-ohm and the J&R "deal" AH-D7000 have already been purchased so I'm back to the drawing board!

I appreciate your feedback and recommendation as someone with much more experience than myself.

Jul 11, 2009 at 9:34 AM Post #630 of 644
Sanderman, thanks for a solid review plus follow-up info and photos. I haven't heard or actually seen the PS1000, yet your writeup makes me feel as though I understand it at an insider level. You cover the points that seem most relevant about the PS1000 without getting caught up in side issues. Finally, your observations have a ring of truth to them, a credibility that's captured in the way you write, the way you express yourself.

The overall impression I'm getting from your reports is that the PS1000 corrects critical shortcomings in the RS1 and GS1K but doesn't stop there. It is much more revealing and neutral than its reference counterparts while retaining the organic quality that has been the Grado hallmark.

I was especially interested in the metal-wood construction and its impact on SQ, and you've covered that beautifully, too. The sense I'm getting from you is that the rigidity seems to sharpen dynamics that might've bled through the all-wood housing. However, the price is added weight which might impact comfort for some.

You've also pointed to significant differences in the bowls of the GS1K and the PS1K, and you respect our intelligence enough to simply report the differences and leave the implications to us.

The rigidity also -- I'm reading between the lines here -- seems to improve definition and accuracy, making the PS1000 organic as well as revealing.

I love the GS1K with the m902. It's warm, musical, alive -- almost Latino with a bass beat -- and has a soundstage that's deep and flexible. I can only imagine how much more enjoyable it could be with sharper and stronger mids and greater dynamic resolution.

I was thinking that the GS1K would be able to cover my craving for the Grado sound, but now I can see that the PS1K has pushed the Grado envelope to a whole new level.

Thanks again for a beautifully written, completely satisfying review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back