Ps audio direct stream dsd DAC
Feb 14, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #196 of 265
I have a PWD II and am looking very forward to upgrading it to the DS. Hopefully soon!

Feb 25, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #198 of 265

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7z7QXWto-k

And tell me what the difference is between this guy and a late paid programming scam?

Well, He clearly identifies himself as representing the company who's product he is discussing.  But thanks for taking the time to "save" us from the potential horros that can ensue when you are informed about a product you could actually return if you did not like it.

Wonder if your resume would be deemed accurate given a very strict, literal intepreation of the claims you make in it about yourself and your work-history.

marketing - evil!  

Feb 25, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #199 of 265
Just installed the DS upgrade into my old PWD II. Using the new Pikes Peak OS/firmware. Very easy to do.

So far, the everything seems improved. Rich, 3D images and a warm tonality. I like. I am curious how much the sound will change as the unit burns in.

Of interest, I also compared it running direct to my amps vs. using my preamp in the chain. The sound was better with the preamp...richer, better bass, and a deeper soundstage. Perhaps this difference will also change with burn-in. Should be a fun ride!

Feb 25, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #200 of 265
  <quote>
Wonder if your resume would be deemed accurate given a very strict, literal intepreation of the claims you make in it about yourself and your work-history.
</quotes>

Very valid analogy. I guess it would certainly not be deemed accurate and sparkles of exaggeration could be noted - but no lies. This is the difference between marketing, and false-advertising/fraud. 

are you suggesting that there is fraud in the video you referenced, or just speaking in general terms? This is the kind of thing tha posts handle badly in terms of intent, tone of voice, etc.  I'm not trying to pick a fight, just discussing the issues.  Just so you know, I sell that DAC, and I own one and listen to it every day--

Feb 25, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #201 of 265
  Goes without saying that this DAC sounds even better when coupled to PSAudio AC-12 and a couple of PSAudio Noise Harvesters.

Power the whole thing with their Powerplant and your soundstage will open up so much it'll be pristine!

or just look at this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7z7QXWto-k

And tell me what the difference is between this guy and a late paid programming scam?

Cablesnakeoil, you have all of 5 posts, and one of the first things you do is dredge up a marketing video and trash it? Although your User Name pretty much says it all, my guess is that you came to Head-Fi with an agenda.

Welcome to Head Fi...we hope you enjoy, learn, and contribute. But if being a snarky troll is your purpose, please post elsewhere.

Feb 26, 2015 at 4:05 AM Post #202 of 265
I have just yesterday bought a pre-owned PWD MKII with the network-bridge. Do you think it is rellay worth to upgrade to the DirectStream? Mainly in terms of better audio quality? In general I really love the PWD MKII I have to say. This DAC is just stunning!!

Feb 26, 2015 at 6:54 AM Post #203 of 265
I have just yesterday bought a pre-owned PWD MKII with the network-bridge. Do you think it is rellay worth to upgrade to the DirectStream? Mainly in terms of better audio quality? In general I really love the PWD MKII I have to say. This DAC is just stunning!!

Congrats on getting the PWD II! It is an excellent DAC in its own right, no real need to do the upgrade right away, especially if you like the sound the way it is. Just feel good knowing that when you want to, it will be easy to upgrade the DAC to the DS. The improvement is easy to hear and well worth the money.

Aug 8, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #204 of 265
For the DS owners, the new Yale firmware is an excellent upgrade from PP. Easy to do and free. Gotta love PS Audio.

Aug 9, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #205 of 265
Directstream simply sounds incorrect even compared to cheap receivers, Yale fixed some of that, but still incorrect. Simply A/B the DS with receivers and you'll know what I'm talking about, eg: Onkyo.

The fact that firmware update changes the sound so much is telling you how buggy the thing is. I was so happy when I finally got rid of it (at a big loss no less, but I just wanted it gone.)

Aug 9, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #206 of 265
  Directstream simply sounds incorrect even compared to cheap receivers, Yale fixed some of that, but still incorrect. Simply A/B the DS with receivers and you'll know what I'm talking about, eg: Onkyo.

The fact that firmware update changes the sound so much is telling you how buggy the thing is. I was so happy when I finally got rid of it (at a big loss no less, but I just wanted it gone.)

well, thanks for setting me straight- I'll sell mine tomorrow and buy a cheap Onkyo receiver.  lol

Some background would be helpful in understanding your rather extreme position.

Aug 9, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #207 of 265

well, thanks for setting me straight- I'll sell mine tomorrow and buy a cheap Onkyo receiver.  lol

Some background would be helpful in understanding your rather extreme position.

Just go A/B it with a $500 Onkyo receiver. Or A/B it with a Metrum DAC and prepare to be very angry. Assuming you use the DAC for all variety of music of course. If you use the DAC for TV/movie the incorrectness is not that noticeable.

Complex music is where the Directstream really shows it's incorrectness.

Forgot to mention, I'm on a speaker setup, not headphone.

See if you can get a lossless version of "Schwarzer Bogen", this is a beautiful song that sounded horribly incorrect on the Directstream. At first I was like did they screwed up the CD release...  It sounded perfect on the Metrum.

Aug 10, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #208 of 265
Just go A/B it with a $500 Onkyo receiver. Or A/B it with a Metrum DAC and prepare to be very angry. Assuming you use the DAC for all variety of music of course. If you use the DAC for TV/movie the incorrectness is not that noticeable.

Complex music is where the Directstream really shows it's incorrectness.

Forgot to mention, I'm on a speaker setup, not headphone.

See if you can get a lossless version of "Schwarzer Bogen", this is a beautiful song that sounded horribly incorrect on the Directstream. At first I was like did they screwed up the CD release...  It sounded perfect on the Metrum.

Okay...

Could you please describe the rest of your system? What did you have it hooked up with?

What does "incorrect" mean? What is your reference for "correct"?

Heck, if one's reference for sound is the local community band shell, hearing something played at Carnegie Hall would sound "incorrect."

I can completely understand if you simply did not like the presentation. Everyone is different. But calling something incorrect goes a little beyond that...

Aug 10, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #210 of 265

Think of the firmware as a flavor hence the names for the updates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back