Ps audio direct stream dsd DAC
Jul 28, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #181 of 265
Decided to try out coaxial output from my pc and I believe I like it more than usb, at least as far as first impressions go. They sound similar but there is more sense of the lower grunt being brought out. Will try swapping usb ports and cables next.

edit: Turns out it might be anything even remotely silver brings out the highs more. Switching usb cables from the silver cabledyne to a belkin gold makes it sound like coaxial to the point I can't hear a difference. 

Oct 21, 2014 at 2:21 AM Post #184 of 265
Noticeable improvement with lastest firmware 1.21. Highly recommend re audition if you heard it before without this firmware. Bass and soundstage improved are the noticeable differences right off the bat.

Oct 22, 2014 at 8:14 PM Post #185 of 265
just joined the club.  Listening now, with about 30 minutes on it so far.....  Happy Happy.

Oct 24, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #186 of 265
Hoping some of you can help since I'm not finding the manual very useful.  My display shows no information about the track that is playing.  I know that the album art shown in the PS literature and website only works if you add the bridge (misleading, I think), but PS Audio told me all I needed to do was insert an SD card and artist name and song info would be displayed.  Nope.

Also, most of the functions on the remote do not work.  I guess they for a hypothetical PSA Transport?

Oct 24, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #187 of 265

Also, most of the functions on the remote do not work.  I guess they for a hypothetical PSA Transport?

They are for the actual PWT, i.e., The Perfect Wave Transport

Oct 27, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #189 of 265
  I meant hypothetically present in my system.

probably costs less that way too 
biggrin.gif

Dec 8, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #190 of 265
Hi everybody,  i have a question about the USB input of DS dac: is it Dop or native DSD?  

Dec 8, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #191 of 265
  Hi everybody,  i have a question about the USB input of DS dac: is it Dop or native DSD?  

I believe it is DOP.  I haven't tried it myself yet, but I believe I read this on the PS Audio's forum.  I think the only input that can accept native DSD is the i2s input.  At this point, the only device that could supply navite through i2s is their digital phono preamp/converter.

Jan 13, 2015 at 4:59 AM Post #192 of 265
  Hoping some of you can help since I'm not finding the manual very useful.  My display shows no information about the track that is playing.  I know that the album art shown in the PS literature and website only works if you add the bridge (misleading, I think), but PS Audio told me all I needed to do was insert an SD card and artist name and song info would be displayed.  Nope.

On my Mk1 w/bridge inserting the SD card  displayed  the CD cover image . Wasn't paying attention on the very few times I've used it on USB. Would be happy to help if you haven't solved this yet .

I believe it is DOP.  I haven't tried it myself yet, but I believe I read this on the PS Audio's forum.  I think the only input that can accept native DSD is the i2s input.  At this point, the only device that could supply navite through i2s is their digital phono preamp/converter.

Can anyone tell me if there is a bridge bundled with it ? And if yes is it used only for PCM?

Feb 13, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #193 of 265
The new "operating system" called Pikes Peak has just been released. (They've decided "firmware" understates the significance of revisions to a software-based product.) The improvements are breathtaking. You can read detailed comments from users on the PSA user forum. For me, the music has come alive.

So far I've just listened through speakers.

The media superlatives for this product have already been so extravagant (Stereophile Class A+, etc.) I wonder what they'll say now.

http://www.psaudio.com/forum/directstream-all-about-it/pikes-peak-operating-system-is-live/

Feb 13, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #194 of 265
The Absolute Sound has already weighed in:

These initial impressions represented such an improvement that I wanted to document them right away.

So to return to the questions I posed earlier: Was it worth it? Absolutely. Were the changes subtle and hard to hear? Neither the slightest bit subtle, nor hard to hear. Should you update your PS Audio DirectStream DAC to the Pikes Peak OS? Well, would you like a noticeably better DAC? For free? It’s a no-brainer. What was originally an excellent DAC has become way better. And there’s no reason to think there’s not still more magic yet to come from designer Ted Smith’s brain.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/ps-audio-directstream-dac-update/?utm_campaign=Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_source=email-343

Users who are viewing this thread

Back