Ps audio direct stream dsd DAC
Sep 15, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #241 of 265
The guy definitely prefers warm DACs going by that list.
Hence why the Dave is so low.

I heard from a few impressions that the Terminator was slightly dark sounding & had emphasized bass over other DACs. That would definitely give it a unique sound signature, different from more neutral DACs.
That would explain it. I'm not into warth myself.

Sep 15, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #242 of 265
I suppose I should look deeper into how he arrived at his percentile numbering scheme, and why he ended up with his ranking. But I won't. He said his opinions were subjective, so that's how I'll take them. I am curious to hear about the Ayre vs the DAVE, as I find both Charlie Hansen and Rob Watts' approaches to be meticulous and interesting. Not forgetting Ted Smith, of course.
On another note: I heard rumours about a signature Ted Smith PS DAC in the wind, for a possible $20,000. I may never afford it, but I'm intriegued.

He mentioned it in one of his more recent YT videos. Two chassis DAC where Ted Smith will be given anything he wants in development. I wonder if the prototype will be a no-holds-barred unicorn that they use with listening room 1, and they will try to get close to that model when they move to production...

Sep 15, 2018 at 10:10 PM Post #243 of 265
The guy definitely prefers warm DACs going by that list.
Hence why the Dave is so low.

I heard from a few impressions that the Terminator was slightly dark sounding & had emphasized bass over other DACs. That would definitely give it a unique sound signature, different from more neutral DACs.

Why is directstream so low though? Isn't it super warm and laid back ?

Sep 16, 2018 at 1:57 AM Post #244 of 265
Why is directstream so low though? Isn't it super warm and laid back ?

Maybe the older firmware were like that, but not the redcloud version, It's definitely not laid back, maybe a bit meatier sounding than dead neutral, but I wouldn't classify it as warm sounding.
Should mention Vinyl doesn't always equate to warm sounding either.

I also read that Ted Smith is working on a new firmware update as well. Something about redoing the entire code from the ground up, so the next update will probably be a big change as well.

Sep 16, 2018 at 2:34 AM Post #245 of 265
Maybe the older firmware were like that, but not the redcloud version, It's definitely not laid back, maybe a bit meatier sounding than dead neutral, but I wouldn't classify it as warm sounding.
Should mention Vinyl doesn't always equate to warm sounding either.

I also read that Ted Smith is working on a new firmware update as well. Something about redoing the entire code from the ground up, so the next update will probably be a big change as well.

going to try and buy locally soon :)

Sep 22, 2018 at 1:56 AM Post #248 of 265
FYI, if anyone one wants to know the status of the new update, Ted said this recently

For the DS software update I’m trying to rewrite the PCM upsampler (I mentioned that above somewhere). That should both help PCM and lower FPGA generated jitter/noise overall which should help the sound quality of everything. Like always, there may be a gotcha that stalls out that new feature. The code for 44.1k is limping, but that means almost everything is working: the new data flow control is working, the new upsampler is close. But there’s still significant work to do to modify a few things to deal with the new data: fit in the new filter coefficients for 88.1/96k and 176.4/192k, correct the deemphasis filter, test, test, test… Since this is new code I’ll probably not be doing much archeological cleanup on other code, but:

Tho I don’t know if I can make a difference I’ll revisit the pops going from PCM to DSD and vice versa. The new upsampler will have different timings for that transition so revising the code that tracks the PCM/DSD boundaries needs to be done. This won’t (directly) address the pops that some players add in DSD to DSD seeking or that they add on PCM/DSD transitions or sample rate changes, tho I’ll be looking over the auto-mute-on-transitions-code.

If all goes to plan the PCM sound stage may deepen a little and transient timing may improve a little. There shouldn’t be any apparent change in frequency response, but PCM should be a little more cohesive. In so far as I lower FPGA noise, you’ll get the expected blacker background and it’s effects (but there probably won’t be a measurable level change in the noise floor.)

Obviously the fix for blurbles in loud/dynamic music that Redcloud introduced will be included. I’m (once again) hoping to get a UI for setting the I2S signal polarities for each input.

At a slower rate I’m working on using the newer tools for the new DAC’s newer FPGA.

So expect a lower noise floor, a deeper soundstage & better transient response in the eventual update.

Sep 22, 2018 at 1:58 AM Post #249 of 265
The guy's work ethic is insane. People were getting worried because he wasn't responding to their forum questions for a few weeks, turns out he had a kidney stone removed.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2019 at 8:43 PM Post #252 of 265
Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 26, 2019 at 11:17 AM Post #254 of 265
DirectStream Junior Snowmass 2.01 released

https://forum.psaudio.com/t/directstream-junior-snowmass-2-01-released/8945

For DSJ owners we have found and fixed the bug that some of you had with the unit freezing up when using the Bridge. Please download and install this latest version of Snowmass.

Sorry for the delay.

You will need a USB stick to do this.

Only the PIC code (display microprocessor) changed and not Ted’s brilliant work on the FPGA.

Highly recommended to upgrade.

To download go to our downloads section on the website. https://www.psaudio.com/support/downloads/ 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back