PS Audio Digital Link III
Oct 30, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #346 of 558
Oh my God! I got my DLIII with the Cullen stage 4 mod last week and it's waiting for my woo amp to arrive. Tonight I had a little time to myself so I thought what the heck, I'll take this old sony cd changer(CDP-M333ES) I got for free and hook it up through my new DAC and see what happens. It's all covered with dirt and spray foam and looks like an old dinosaur. I didn't want to take a chance with any of my favorite discs so I grabbed a copy of Elton John "Yellow Brick Road". First I ran an optical straight to my AVM30 to see what it's internal DAC would do. It's sending a signal through an Anthem MCA30 into a pair of Paradigm Studio100v4s backed up by a Paradigm Servo15 sub. This system is pretty great in it's own right and has impressed me for several years. The sound was full and clear as it is with my other cd player.

Next I ran the optical cable to the DLIII and RCA cables to the AVM30. I went into the menu and changed the input to analogue and WHAM! Magic came out of my speakers. I can't believe it made that much difference in an already great system.

OH MY GOD! I listened to Elton John for a while, hearing crystal clear detail and a soundstage that is about 135 degrees wide. Each note and each instrument are distinct and accurate. It is better than live by a long shot. I have often been impressed by the soundstage of this system, but now it is equal to the best system I have heard and that one cost around one million dollars. It's impossible! Is it placebo? who cares.

Next I listened to an old recording of Mance Lipscomb. This recording has been muddy and reminds me of a cassette recording from an old scratchy LP that has been around too long. Now it sounds like modern recording. I can hear the size of the room. I can hear the slight echo of the hall and the people in the background. I can hear the volume of wooden body of the acoustic guitar. How is it possible that I ever thought I knew what this cd sounded like? The veil is lifted.

I build very expensive houses and they have very expensive sound systems. I think that money is wasted without a DAC of this caliber. Thanks to the contributors of this site for helping me to find this product and the Cullen mods.

I know how this sounds. I wouldn't believe it if I was reading it. Oh well, I hears what I hears. Now I think I have to get another one for my Anthem/Paradigm system for after I take this one into my office to play with my soon to arrive Woo WA6SE maxxed.

Oct 30, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #347 of 558
The Woo WA6SE is an incredible amp so I am sure you will be very pleased with your new system.

I am still getting used to the Cullen Modded DLIII and have been spending time revisiting all my familiar music. One thing immediately apparent is the immediacy and spatial detail improvements over the standard DL III. The decay of all the percussion instruments is much longer and much more pronounced and realistic. That is it for now I will reserve the rest of my comments for a more comprehensive post.

Oh, and Rick Cullen really does know his stuff, he designed and built the DLIII and definitely knows how to improve an already great platform for musical enjoyment.

Oct 31, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #349 of 558
I've been listening to the stock version for a few weeks now and I'm impressed. Soundstage, even without the mods, seems much more expansive than with my previous DAC.

I'm glad to hear you guys think the mods are a dramatic improvement. Makes for a nice convenient upgrade path.

Oct 31, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #350 of 558
I don't know why it would be. The CAT speakers in that system should have outperformed the Studio 100s but for some reason my memory of listening to that system is similar to this experience.

Of course it is a memory thing as well.

Also the speakers in the million dollar system were placed in partnership with an architect so they are not placed as mine are with sound being the only motivational force. I have spent a bit of time getting the placement and toe-in just right.

Oct 31, 2009 at 10:42 AM Post #351 of 558
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been listening to the stock version for a few weeks now and I'm impressed. Soundstage, even without the mods, seems much more expansive than with my previous DAC.

Soundstage is a classic difference between NOS vs. over/upsampling DACs. The question is whether you give up too much smoothness vs. detail & soundstage for your personal taste. Sometimes any change can be perceived as an "improvement" initially. Long-term listening, and possibly comparisons down the road with NOS DAC's again, will prove out whether it really is for you.

I also believe that a big part of the final sound comes from the output stage. This is where new DAC designers can close the "fatique-free listenability" gap while still retaining high-end detail.

Nov 1, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #352 of 558
It's good to know I'm hearing the basic differences, but as to whether I like it long term, who knows. I do know I like what I hear right now. I wouldn't say I've sacrificed too much in the way of smoothness and actually this is the most satisfied with my headphone rig I've been in a long time, and this is with an entry level amp (KIKAS Caliente). Certainly over time I may find more faults with this DAC, and I need a better amp eventually, but so far, so good

Nov 2, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #353 of 558
Just ordered the the Wadia I170 transport/PS Audio Digital Link III combo from Music Direct. Should have it on Wed, can't wait!

Plan to use this with a Headroom amp/HD600 and also in the main rig. May even hook the dac up to my Marantz 8260 SACD for cd play back.

Nov 2, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #354 of 558
Let me just add that at an upsampling rate of 96khz I do not feel like I am sacrificing any smoothness for soundstage and detail. However, at 192khz, it starts to get a bit harsh.

Nov 2, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #355 of 558
Quote:

Let me just add that at an upsampling rate of 96khz I do not feel like I am sacrificing any smoothness for soundstage and detail. However, at 192khz, it starts to get a bit harsh.

i agree. 96khz is smoother and has better focus. 192khz has slightly wider soundstage and better stereo separation, but sounds harsher to my ears.

Nov 2, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #356 of 558
Quote:

X2 Wonder why that is. You'd think it would get better...

Nov 2, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #357 of 558
Congrats to the soon to be owners for this incredible DAC. I've had mine for a few months now, and I am still amazed at how much it improved everything else in my setup. I've recently added the HD800 with Blue Dragon cable, and well, I think I have found my happy place for a quite a long time. Brilliant soundstage and detail without any harshness. I love the 800's, Raptor, etc., but I think the modded DLIII is the best piece of gear I own.

Nov 3, 2009 at 6:22 AM Post #358 of 558
Quote:

Originally Posted by oatmeal769 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2 Wonder why that is. You'd think it would get better...

Maybe harsh isn't the right word. But I know I can listen for longer periods of time at the lower upsampling rate.

Nov 4, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #359 of 558
The lower upsample rate sounds better to me-it just sounds right. I don't know if you guys have tried with 24bit but I just may like the 192 better with the higher input rate.....jury is out. On normal bit rates I go for the 96 though.

Nov 6, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #360 of 558
Has anyone used both the toslink and the coax to connect 2 different sources to the dac?
I would like to connect my Wadia I 170 transport to the rca digital coax in and my cd player to the toslink. This should work, yes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back