PS Audio Digital Link III
Nov 12, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #376 of 558
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isn't it though?!
wink.gif

From the DLIII manual:

"You can use both RCA and XLR outputs at the same time if needed, however, this is not
recommended."

I'm going to post a note in their forums asking why it's not recommended.

I've already asked them this question before I got my DLIII, and this is what they said:

"It really doesn’t if the cables are short. Both outputs (XLR and RCA) are tied together in parallel. When you add multiple interconnects to them, the added capacitance of the cables can affect the sound by rolling off the top end of the music slightly – but only if the runs of cables are over 10 feet or so. Anything less than that should be just fine. Sorry for any confusion."

Nov 13, 2009 at 4:46 AM Post #377 of 558
Thanks jenneth.

I got an answer this evening also, and it was even more nonchalant than yours about the issue:

Quote:

Only because adding more cables in parallel can cause a slight degradation to the sound if the cables are too long. What we should have put in the manual was an explanation that if the cables in question are 2 meters in length of shorter, then it’s not a problem. Even longer cables aren’t a big problem. We’re just being overly tweaky I think.

Nov 13, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #378 of 558
Thanks for posting that guys. But it sounds like the XLR outputs aren't true balanced/differential so while it's nice to have the output option there isn't any significant advantage from it on the output end.
frown.gif

Nov 13, 2009 at 5:19 AM Post #379 of 558
My understanding is the outputs are balanced. Some amps (like my Square Wave XL) can accept a +/- signal on the RCA, so using a simple XLR > RCA adapter would work with those amps. I have a Jensens Transformers ISOmax transformer box for times when that wont work.

Nov 14, 2009 at 12:30 PM Post #380 of 558
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadMan007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for posting that guys. But it sounds like the XLR outputs aren't true balanced/differential so while it's nice to have the output option there isn't any significant advantage from it on the output end.
frown.gif

Yes, they are balanced outputs. There are two stereo DAC chips inside the DL3.

Are they differential (4 DACs - one chip for L-, L+, R- and R+)? No.

Are they dual differential (8 DACs - two chips each for L-, L+, R- and R+)? No.

And yes, there are even DACs out there that are quad differential. And no, the DL3 isn't one of them.
tongue.gif

Nov 20, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #381 of 558
I was going to seek out a Havana but then I stumbled across this fellow and now leaning toward this...

Them working out of the U.S.A. makes things more convenient if I keep it long term (warranty and so on) and the Cullen mod sounds interesting but snaps my budget's neck and leaves it for dead.

I noticed on the Cullen Circuits page (and from RAM), they don't seem to incorporate the price drop from PS audio yet... Makes me wonder if I should hold off a little longer!

Nov 20, 2009 at 4:03 AM Post #382 of 558
I wonder about the new Cullen W4S DAC-1. Not sure when it'll be out, but it sure sounds interesting:

ESS Reference audio (ES9018) 32 bit DAC
ESS Time Domain Jitter Eliminator®
Automatic 500kHz oversampling
Fully balanced design
Discrete output stage offering exceptional sonics
Upgradable Digital board (for future improvements)
Upgradable Analog board (for future improvements)
2x Coax inputs
Optical input
24-bit 192kHz USB input (optional)
I2S balanced HDMI input (optional)

And the price looks pretty good too:

DAC-1 = $1,199, or
DAC-1 with USB = $1,499

Nov 20, 2009 at 4:09 AM Post #383 of 558
Quote:

Originally Posted by Landis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I noticed on the Cullen Circuits page (and from RAM), they don't seem to incorporate the price drop from PS audio yet... Makes me wonder if I should hold off a little longer!

I bought mine separately for under $700. and had it shipped to RAM and he just charged me for the mods.....but i kind of went overboard with them. Sounds incredible though. Waiting a long time for the Ultra-clock(higher end than normal mod) and got it about two months back and I am still just shaking my head in disbelief. I'm pretty picky about the sound too. Good Luck.

Nov 20, 2009 at 7:13 AM Post #384 of 558
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdr. Seraphim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder about the new Cullen W4S DAC-1. Not sure when it'll be out, but it sure sounds interesting:

ESS Reference audio (ES9018) 32 bit DAC
ESS Time Domain Jitter Eliminator®
Automatic 500kHz oversampling
Fully balanced design
Discrete output stage offering exceptional sonics
Upgradable Digital board (for future improvements)
Upgradable Analog board (for future improvements)
2x Coax inputs
Optical input
24-bit 192kHz USB input (optional)
I2S balanced HDMI input (optional)

And the price looks pretty good too:

DAC-1 = $1,199, or
DAC-1 with USB = $1,499

Wow, that looks tasty.

Dec 13, 2009 at 5:58 AM Post #385 of 558
Man this is just a fantastic DAC. I've had mine for about a month now (stock version, not modded). It COMPLETELY blew away my DacMagic. I had the DacMagic up for sale within a week of receiving the DLIII. It has really given me hope for digital. The DLIII actually is able to do a decent job of timbral accuracy, something that is completely deficient in "budget" digital components of today (which up until this point has made me listen to primarily vinyl).

Dec 13, 2009 at 6:16 AM Post #386 of 558
My DLlll is modded and it isn't even in the same ballpark as the Dacmagic. I still use my dacmagic for the TV in the other room and if I want to plug in a laptop to the livingroom stereo-it is what it is. I also have an xdac with a power supply in there. The headphones are just so much more detailed that I can't even deal with the flatness of those dacs when compared to the modded DLlll. Never heard a stock one but probably same general sound signature.

Dec 13, 2009 at 10:08 AM Post #387 of 558
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsplice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man this is just a fantastic DAC. I've had mine for about a month now (stock version, not modded). It COMPLETELY blew away my DacMagic. I had the DacMagic up for sale within a week of receiving the DLIII. It has really given me hope for digital. The DLIII actually is able to do a decent job of timbral accuracy, something that is completely deficient in "budget" digital components of today (which up until this point has made me listen to primarily vinyl).

I completely agree. Vinyl just became much less superior in many ways and inferior in others. The album has to be in really good shape now or there is no point.

Dec 13, 2009 at 2:13 PM Post #388 of 558
I have a stock version, and I agree - it is truly a fantastic DAC. I'll probably Cullen-mod mine at some point, although I'd love to A/B the two sometime.

Dec 13, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #390 of 558
I've said it before, I really think my modded DLIII is the best piece of equipment I own. It really took my amps and headphones to another level. Glad to see so many enjoying it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back