PS Audio Digital Link III
Jan 29, 2008 at 1:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 558

achristilaw

Headphoneus Supremus
Just placed one on order. Wanted to upgrade. Needed something with Balanced Outs. Looked at the Dac1. It's the Darling at Stereophile. But all indications are that it might be to dry sounding for my tastes. Looked at Lavry. Actually gave them a call. Spoke to a Woman on the phone. She was smug and condesending. Not helpful at all. I was being treated like an inferior. I'm a stickler for good customer service. And wonderful product aside. They lost my business. I went for the PS Audio Digital Link III. When they answered the phone. They were happy to hear from me. And answered all my questions. And factory blessed upgrades are available. Needed something to mate with the Apache. Hope it foots the bill. The threads here have spoken kindly. And a couple of formal reviews looked positive. Will see. If not. There is the return policy.

Jan 29, 2008 at 6:00 PM Post #2 of 558
i plan on getting this DAC too, with the Cullen mods, once the funds are raised.

i already have the matching Trio C-100 integrated.

Jan 29, 2008 at 7:57 PM Post #3 of 558
If you like Lavry DA10 DAC and need more output XLR and RCA, get Audio Research DAC-5. I have both atm, and can't tell the difference between the two DACs. Make sure you set the Lavry to 46 on volume display when do comarision.

Jan 29, 2008 at 9:58 PM Post #4 of 558
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrLA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you like Lavry DA10 DAC and need more output XLR and RCA, get Audio Research DAC-5. I have both atm, and can't tell the difference between the two DACs. Make sure you set the Lavry to 46 on volume display when do comarision.

That's something to keep in mind. And find on the used market. If later down the road. I need more flexability.

Jan 29, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #5 of 558
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i plan on getting this DAC too, with the Cullen mods, once the funds are raised.

i already have the matching Trio C-100 integrated.

Yeah! The Cullen mods. I am going to see. If I think they are necessary. The HUGE PSU. The discrete buffered output. And price. They were the factors that changed the tide. And gave the nod to the PS. You don't have to look to hard to find something wrong with digital. This is reported to have warmth with flesh. And manage to spring detail. How you liking your amp? Alan

Jan 30, 2008 at 2:59 AM Post #6 of 558
Quote:

Originally Posted by achristilaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah! The Cullen mods. I am going to see. If I think they are necessary. The HUGE PSU. The discrete buffered output. And price. They were the factors that changed the tide. And gave the nod to the PS. You don't have to look to hard to find something wrong with digital. This is reported to have warmth with flesh. And manage to spring detail. How you liking your amp? Alan

i absolutely love the amp. it's tiny, but it's a powerhorse... 100 watts dual mono into 8ohms, 200 into 4. it's very smooth with oodles of detail, tight imaging and super-controlled bass... hypnotic. i was listening to Glenn Gould's performance of Bach's Goldberg Variations today, and got totally lost in it. same thing with So Percussion.

the only thing i heard in my auditions that sounded slightly better was a $3000 Prima Luna tube integrated that weighed about 80 pounds.

Jan 30, 2008 at 3:54 AM Post #7 of 558
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i absolutely love the amp. it's tiny, but it's a powerhorse... 100 watts dual mono into 8ohms, 200 into 4. it's very smooth with oodles of detail, tight imaging and super-controlled bass... hypnotic. i was listening to Glenn Gould's performance of Bach's Goldberg Variations today, and got totally lost in it. same thing with So Percussion.

the only thing i heard in my auditions that sounded slightly better was a $3000 Prima Luna tube integrated that weighed about 80 pounds.

Great tube amps need heavy Iron. No way around it. Unless the conversation leads to OTL. The future of Class D. Is in infancy. It will Mature. In Ten years or less. It will be hard to find conventional Linear Push-Pull designs. Just got the email. UPS tracker notification. It's on it's way. Hooray!!

Oct 2, 2008 at 9:15 PM Post #11 of 558
Just ordered a Cullen L3 DLIII on Monday... waiting impatiently by the door!!!

biggrin.gif

Oct 15, 2008 at 2:06 AM Post #13 of 558
Oct 15, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #15 of 558
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not that impressed by the shot of internals comparing to other DACs in that price range. Even Pico looks busier inside.
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/p...trip_stock.jpg

And Stello Signature looks like a spaceship
http://www.hifi500.com/goods/images/...24159cont4.jpg

I'm not sure that comparing the innards of two different DACs is really a wise method of picking one.
confused.gif

I just received my DLIII last night.

I've only had a few minutes to listen to it... and only very casually at that. But two things stand out to me immediately:

1. The musical, present bass. All the lower-register instruments become just that -- instruments. The bass, lower piano and kick drum are not just impactful thuds and vibrations, but clear and musical in a way I've never heard in my system.

2. The fact that everything sounds more "live" than recorded, with richness and immediacy.

Basically, it sounds like my system is finally a grownup. Having said that, I've only listened for about 30 minutes without being able to focus on it. So my impressions could change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back