PS Audio Digital Link III
Dec 14, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #421 of 558
Interesting to read many different observations on this thread since I am looking for possible DAC upgrade. For me, the difference between Stello DA100 and stock DL III is very apparent (with unbalanced connection). Such distinct discrepancy may be interpreted differently (as good or bad) depending on other gears, music, ears, and personal preference. However, such change is clearly there to my case.

@Tosehee
I would be very interested to hear your observation on Ref 1 vs. modded DL III. Thanks!!

Dec 14, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #422 of 558
Quote:

Originally Posted by dukja /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting to read many different observations on this thread since I am looking for possible DAC upgrade. For me, the difference between Stello DA100 and stock DL III is very apparent (with unbalanced connection). Such distinct discrepancy may be interpreted differently (as good or bad) depending on other gears, music, ears, and personal preference. However, such change is clearly there to my case.

@Tosehee
I would be very interested to hear your observation on Ref 1 vs. modded DL III. Thanks!!

There is audible difference between Ref1 and PS 3. Whether it's the worth the premium is another story.

I am not good with words here, so I will not try to mimic other great reviewers and/or copy their things.

The Ref1 is definitely better in resolving power. It sounds more analog like to me (whatever that means. :wink:). However, I just don't think the upgrade is nearly $1k+ more.

I purchased Ref1 at $1550 + shipping. It came out at $1700. I paid $500 for PS 3. At $1200 more, do I hear $1200 better sound? To me, it's not, but to some, it might be.

I've done some ABX testing on unscientific manner (no where close to oatmeal) with other Ref1 (googlephone's), and I didn't hear much difference. I added Transporter as a transport, used his PS Power Conditioner, and I still didn't hear much different.

So, my hearing may not be as great as others. To me, the amps made more dramatic differences than all different types of source and transport used.

That's just my opinion and my mileage. Yours and others might vary.

Dec 14, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #423 of 558
Tosehee:

Thanks a lot for your input, which is valuable to me!

It is true that the final decision falls upon how much money (and desktop space
wink.gif
) that you are willing to pay for the change of the sound. I will have no complains at all to take a $500 instead of a $1000 gear if it works for me. That is the answer that I am trying to get. I am very happy with stock DL III (I thought you had modded one, sorry) but just wonder if Ref 1 or modded DL III or Buffalo32 or any more expensive balanced DAC will provide additional enjoyment at the cost that I'll willing to pay.

From what I read, it seemed that the ceiling of diminished return on DAC is lower than that of other gears.

Dec 14, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #424 of 558
Quote:

From what I read, it seemed that the ceiling of diminished return on DAC is lower than that of other gears.

That's the conclusion I draw, but everyone's different. If you have a chance to audition, that's the best way to come up with your own decision.

I've done it through rather expensive route (buying at new and selling at used price), but in the end, I know what I am capable of hearing when it comes to DACs, Transporter, various other digital cables and etc.

I strongly advise that you caution when reading any 'fancy' reviews/impressions that seems to make the different any more audible than what they really are. Sure, there are differences, but it's not night and day difference like some people seem to make up as. I fell for a 'glorious' and 'luxury' and 'exotic' words that seem to me like made in heaven or something.

In any rate, hope you make a good decision.

Regards

Dec 17, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #426 of 558
Does the DL3 have a voltage switch somewhere on the device (or maybe inside it). I might want to import one from the states (they go for about $700 tops, while here in Europe they go for 1200,- euros or even more...).

Dec 18, 2009 at 5:37 AM Post #427 of 558
No, its set to 120v. If you need to change the voltage Rich Cullen at Cullen Circuits will do it or if you buy from them you can opt for 230v one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the DL3 have a voltage switch somewhere on the device (or maybe inside it). I might want to import one from the states (they go for about $700 tops, while here in Europe they go for 1200,- euros or even more...).

Dec 20, 2009 at 6:54 AM Post #428 of 558
I wish it has a power switch..

Dec 20, 2009 at 7:08 AM Post #429 of 558
Quote:

Originally Posted by tosehee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish it has a power switch..

I believe all newer builds have a power switch. I never turn mine off, however. It goes to "standby" whenever the CDP is turned off.

Dec 20, 2009 at 9:19 AM Post #430 of 558
Yeah, mine has a power switch, but it will automatically shut off if my sources are off. So, if I disconnect USB or shut off my Macbook, or shut off my CD player with coax then it will turn off.

But if I have my Airport Express optical connected, then the PS Audio stays on until I manually shut it off or unplug the optical cable; because the Airport Express stays on all the time and the constant optical signal tells the PSA to stay on.

Dec 20, 2009 at 11:17 AM Post #432 of 558
^
Yeah, i'm also interested on this.

Dec 22, 2009 at 6:03 AM Post #434 of 558
Quote:

For me, the difference between Stello DA100 and stock DL III is very apparent (with unbalanced connection).

Dukja,

Do you mean to say that Stello DA100 sounds better than DL III - or vice versa?

Dec 22, 2009 at 6:37 AM Post #435 of 558
Quote:

Originally Posted by ironmine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you mean to say that Stello DA100 sounds better than DL III - or vice versa?

As I tried to say in my post, the difference may be interpreted as pro or con depending on other gears, music, and preference. That was the reason why I try not to label one is better than the other for other people.

For me, I like sharper focus and wider soundstage and hence may prefer DL III with my music genre and headphone. But other may find that DA100 sound smoother, less bright, having more body, etc. (When I just got DLIII, I actually preferred DA100 initially since my ears were used to its sound for a while)

I also often compare DA100+HP100 and DA100+GCHA at home. To me, both DA100 and HP100 share some similar characteristic when they are compared with DL III and GCHA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back