PS Audio Digital Link III
Feb 4, 2010 at 5:58 AM Post #451 of 558
usb = 16/44.1
optical = 24/96.

Mar 13, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #454 of 558
So which do people prefer the 96kHz or 192kHz upsampling? I prefer the latter with pretty much everything.

Two days now and I am very impressed with this DAC. So much so that I sold my Cambridge Audio DacMagic within 1 day of this being in my system.
icon10.gif

Mar 13, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #455 of 558
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So which do people prefer the 96kHz or 192kHz upsampling? I prefer the latter with pretty much everything.

Two days now and I am very impressed with this DAC. So much so that I sold my Cambridge Audio DacMagic within 1 day of this being in my system.
icon10.gif

Next step: Cullen mods.

Mar 13, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #456 of 558
Quote:

icon10.gif

That's what I thought at first too, but over time I think you will prefer 96khz. It sounds more natural.

I thought you said the DacMagic was perfect for you and you really couldn't imagine anything better.
wink.gif
I'm glad you like the DL3 though. It's a great unit. Along your journey you'll find that DACs can even get a lot better than it. But if you're thinking about the Cullen mods, you should consider some other units before you invest that kind of money, as you can do better.

Mar 14, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #459 of 558
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's what I thought at first too, but over time I think you will prefer 96khz. It sounds more natural.

I thought you said the DacMagic was perfect for you and you really couldn't imagine anything better.
wink.gif
I'm glad you like the DL3 though. It's a great unit. Along your journey you'll find that DACs can even get a lot better than it. But if you're thinking about the Cullen mods, you should consider some other units before you invest that kind of money, as you can do better.

I was very happy with the DacMagic and for $400 and under it was pretty hard to beat. I just got a great deal on a DLIII that was too good to pass up. I think I might look into the Perfect Wave as well as the Cullen mods when I catch my next bought of upgraditis.
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 14, 2010 at 1:08 AM Post #460 of 558
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used the 96K up-sampling for HD800 and the 192K up-sampling for the Stax O2, but I don't need the DLIII anymore now that I have the Perfectwave DAC.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Thanks Larry for planting the seed.
wink.gif

When I look into the Perfectwave, I'll tell my wife it was all your fault! Just like my Westone 3s!
icon10.gif

Mar 14, 2010 at 3:12 AM Post #461 of 558
Quote:

Thanks Larry for planting the seed.
wink.gif

When I look into the Perfectwave, I'll tell my wife it was all your fault! Just like my Westone 3s!
icon10.gif

I just got my Perfectwave Transport and DAC combo last night. It's AMAZING!!! I've had some pretty decent digital equipment in the past including the Meridian 500/566.24, Linn Ikemi, Cary 306, Sony XA9000ES, Rega Saturn to name a few. The PWT/PWD clearly plays in another league. I have the combo in my speaker system right now and the soundstage is huge in both width and depth. Amazing imaging and so musical. I have the combo connected via the PS Audio I2S silver HDMI cable. I never heard digital sound this good at anywhere near the price. I'm now considering buying a combo for my dedicated headphone system.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 14, 2010 at 3:20 AM Post #462 of 558
Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveM324 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got my Perfectwave Transport and DAC combo last night. It's AMAZING!!! I've had some pretty decent digital equipment in the past including the Meridian 500/566.24, Linn Ikemi, Cary 306, Sony XA9000ES, Rega Saturn to name a few. The PWT/PWD clearly plays in another league. I have the combo in my speaker system right now and the soundstage is huge in both width and depth. Amazing imaging and so musical. I have the combo connected via the PS Audio I2S silver HDMI cable. I never heard digital sound this good at anywhere near the price. I'm now considering buying a combo for my dedicated headphone system.
very_evil_smiley.gif

And you too Steve!
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 14, 2010 at 6:36 AM Post #464 of 558
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I went to the 96 for a long time but now I am back to the 192 again.

By the way, I had the choice to get the Perfectwave, it was only a slightly more than my DLlll with the mods I did but I ended going for the sure thing since I had heard the DLlll with these mods or close to them and liked it. I think the Perfectwave, which was brand new was about seven hundred or so more than my final product. Would have liked to have the chance to compare them. I don't know how close my dac even is to a stock DLlll at this point as far as the end sound goes. Gotta say though I did waste money on the usb section, that ended up being a throw away I am afraid since I am bypassing it....and that upgrade alone was a wasted three hundred dollars, luckily i got that part discounted or it would have been six hundred just for the part-ouch! Guess i do occasionally use it for audio from my PC though.

So PJ, what are you using nowadays, the AudioGD dac still?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back