PS-1 ~ GS-1000 ~ RS-1 what ya think?
Aug 2, 2006 at 7:46 PM Post #16 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
I'm also wondering how someone can consider the gs1k's to sound the most 'liquid' of the three cans. I'm not sure how others interpret this over used term, but to me it means a combination of smoothness and linearity through out the audible frequency range. Thats something the ps-1 excels at.

The PS1 excels at this in the MR linearity, no doubting....and yes has great highs, more controlled than the RS-1 or stock GS1... but the Black Dragon GS1's trounce the "liquidity" factor right from square one if taking the entire FR into account, and as compared to the RS1 and PS1, it is not even really as close as some may think...
The Stock GS1 has the mids somewhat recessed/distant as you speak to..but the the BDGS1 does not suffer this same trait..The balance in Mids and Highs with the respect the Lower Register on these phones help to make them the most liquid and smooth sounding of the three (out of the stock GS1, PS1, & RS1), and make headphone listening and eerie experience filled with a more involving and effective soundfield..

The PS1/RS1 can not image with the same detail or depth in terms of varying FR and soundstaging, and this shows with better recordings but can be noted in general listening too..

Aug 2, 2006 at 8:04 PM Post #17 of 65
So you are saying the bd gs1k is smoother then a stock ps-1 and has a more linear frequency response? I'm not talking about staight line "flat" frequency, I'm talking about the transition between highs/mids/bass.

I'd like to see a frequency graph of stock gs1k vs. bd gs1k because if what you are saying is true then there will be a huge difference.
wink.gif

Call me unconvinced of the miracles you claim hehe. I don't doubt the bd version is smoother and more focused then stock and gives the impression of a more upfront presentation. There have been similar comments with the cable on qualia's.

Biggie.

Aug 2, 2006 at 8:04 PM Post #18 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiofiler
The PS1 excels at this in the MR linearity, no doubting....and yes has great highs, more controlled than the RS-1 or stock GS1... but the Black Dragon GS1's trounce the "liquidity" factor right from square one if taking the entire FR into account, and as compared to the RS1 and PS1, it is not even really as close as some may think...
The Stock GS1 has the mids somewhat recessed/distant as you speak to..but the the BDGS1 does not suffer this same trait..The balance in Mids and Highs with the respect the Lower Register on these phones help to make them the most liquid and smooth sounding of the three (out of the stock GS1, PS1, & RS1), and make headphone listening and eerie experience filled with a more involving and effective soundfield..

The PS1/RS1 can not image with the same detail or depth in terms of varying FR and soundstaging, and this shows with better recordings but can be noted in general listening too..

I certainly don't mean any offense by this, but I'd really need to see these claims backed up by other people, regarding the "liquidity" and a few other things. I mean, I know my GS1000 doesn't cure cancer at the moment, and I have my doubts that the re-cabled version can.

Aug 2, 2006 at 8:16 PM Post #19 of 65
The GS1000 confounds me. I loved it when I heard it at the National Meet. However, my modded EMP could not drive it properly (amp was fine with L3000). No problem, as I planned to use more powerful amps in any event. However, when I got the retail version, my EMP drove it perfectly. The mids that I heard at the National Meet were also gone. I'm big in the midrange, and if a headphone doesn't do it right, I won't listen to it. I finally sent it back. I did the same thing originally with the RS-1, however, flat pads cure the mids of that headphone. Not an option for GS1000. I have no explanation for the difference in efficiency between the two headphones. All other aspects of the EMP rig, right down to the iPod and power cord/cables were unchanged.

Of the Grado's, the PS-1 is the one that I've come to love the most. I've done a four-way comparison between PS-1, RS-1, HP-2, and GS1000, and the PS-1 is simply more resolving than the others. Bass is an issue with PS-1, and the amp used needs to go low. If the amp can't control the headphone, the bass will bloat. However, using something like my SDS or modded SHA-1, bass is big but controlled. I'm pretty convinced that I've kept the right Grado's (PS-1 and RS-1).

Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
Um, er, I meant 3 $1K headphones. + RS-1 ($700) I'm nuts.

Heheheh. If that makes you nuts, you'd only be an outpatient in the asylum where they keep me.
tongue.gif

Aug 2, 2006 at 9:08 PM Post #20 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
So you are saying the bd gs1k is smoother then a stock ps-1 and has a more linear frequency response? I'm not talking about staight line "flat" frequency, I'm talking about the transition between highs/mids/bass.

I'd like to see a frequency graph of stock gs1k vs. bd gs1k because if what you are saying is true then there will be a huge difference.
wink.gif

Call me unconvinced of the miracles you claim hehe. I don't doubt the bd version is smoother then stock and has a more upfront and focused sound. There have been similar comments with the cable on qualia's.

Biggie.

Cool!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
I certainly don't mean any offense by this, but I'd really need to see these claims backed up by other people, regarding the "liquidity" and a few other things. I mean, I know my GS1000 doesn't cure cancer at the moment, and I have my doubts that the re-cabled version can.

no worries Mercut..none taken, I hope to hear others comment on their pair soon, the results should be the same.

hmm..
Have no problem keeping hush hush on these, but is against my general nature not to help others. Especially since I am the ONLY one on this forum (or was) that has owned all of the phones here..the PS1, RS1 (old choc model and new light model), GS1 stock, and BDGS1, so am not sure why no one has taken this into consideration..

Note to all GS1/RS1/PS1 users or former owners....There is a reason I did not just re-purchase the the PS1, and recently honestly had the opportunity to buy a pair for cheap ($950) ...in like new cond. -- I did Not buy them..
The reason is hanging at home in a dust proof bag: The Black Dragon GS1000 Statement Headphones...

Get Some.
tongue.gif

edit: length

Aug 2, 2006 at 10:42 PM Post #21 of 65
I have not yet heard the GS-1000, but hope to in the next couple of weeks. What I can say, is that I prefer the PS1's over the RS1's by a large margin. I find it difficult to believe that the GS-1000's, could improve very much on a headphone that is darn near perfect in terms of the Grado house sound.

Despite my feelings, I will put the GS-1000 through the paces, and see how it stacks up against the PS1's, and other Grado offerings.

- augustwest

Aug 2, 2006 at 11:01 PM Post #22 of 65
Quote:

Get Some.
tongue.gif

you got me! the next purchase I make will add the bd to my gs. And hey, I even have the (in my best monster truck rally announcer's voice) indestructable indestructable indestructable (echo echo echo) gs1000 carton to ship em back to John in...that's a relief!
biggrin.gif

Aug 2, 2006 at 11:20 PM Post #23 of 65
Quote:

Have no problem keeping hush hush on these, but is against my general nature not to help others. Especially since I am the ONLY one on this forum (or was) that has owned all of the phones here..the PS1, RS1 (old choc model and new light model), GS1 stock, and BDGS1, so am not sure why no one has taken this into consideration..

I've taken it into consideration - that's partly what has sold me on the BD cables. It took me more than a month to really appreciate the GS-1000, so that's why I wanted more then just the ones that tried them for a limited time. Heck even the RS-1's took me a long time to get used to and now they are one of my favorites.

I think it comes down to what's important:

Hirsch mentioned that midrange is everything to him. He/you said that RS-1 w/flats curred his problems. That speaks volumes because for me although the flats expose the terrific midrange of the RS-1, it destroyed everything else that's important to me. So those pads didn't do it for me. To me layering and soudstage size are very important. With the RS-1 everything is squished together in comparison to the GS-1000 which creates more of an "air" around the instruments. Also, the GS-1000 highs (unlike most mentioned here) come very close to the K-1000. Very strong but not harsh (can be strong though) but I don't listening at damaging levels.

I think I understand what people see in the PS-1 and it would be nice to own both. I don't get the recessed mids or linearity issues. I think in comparison to the RS-1 mid hump and highs that can shoot out at you, it can sound like the mids are recessed (btw, the graph doesn't correlate with what I hear, super loud high, super loud bass, and flat mids). Filburt explained to me that there is more to understanding a graph than just at this frequency it sounds this loud, but I'm not an expert on that and what I hear trumps any chart or graph.

Anyway, great discussion and I love the GS-1000 with stock cable, but as usual always look to improve things. I think we've all kind of settled on what we feel accomplishes what we value most. But one thing that I can't find elsewhere and that all these Grado's have IMHO (my most important quality) MUSICALITY!

Aug 2, 2006 at 11:22 PM Post #24 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by analog'd
you got me! the next purchase I make will add the bd to my gs. And hey, I even have the (in my best monster truck rally announcer's voice) indestructable indestructable indestructable (echo echo echo) gs1000 carton to ship em back to John in...that's a relief!
biggrin.gif

LOL
icon10.gif

Aug 2, 2006 at 11:39 PM Post #25 of 65
Quote:

Well the E3C will stay for air travel out of mp3 player. Sounds good enough for that.

you really owe it to your ears to move up to the E500's. then your iem's will sound as if they were created for the same purpose as that great set of phones at the top of your list. i am serious...these suckers are so musical!

Aug 3, 2006 at 1:01 AM Post #26 of 65
Quote:

you really owe it to your ears to move up to the E500's. then your iem's will sound as if they were created for the same purpose as that great set of phones at the top of your list. i am serious...these suckers are so musical!

It would be nice, but my issue is that I only use IEMs for traveling and then I'd need to get an amp which I'm afraid would be confiscated with the latest security stuff going on at airports. I would love to hear them though.

**edit** just read your post on another thread about these sounding good without an amp **edit** but I still wonder:

Anyone able to take a portible (altoid can) amp and get hastled?

Aug 3, 2006 at 1:18 AM Post #27 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
The PS-1's are great, but you need to build your system around them in order to have them shine. The older RS-1's [with the darker wood] come pretty damn close in terms of resolution and are a lot easier on the wallet [both the cost of the headphones and the cost to make them happy].

How can you tell they come close in resolution? I think you might be the first to suggest that different rs-1's have different resolutions. Having heard those dark cup rs-1's at the meet I have no idea if they sound different from my old rs-1's or not. Unfamilar system + loud background was the culprit. When I had my pair I did a blind test between my rs-1's and my friends older pair and I couldn't tell the difference. The ps-1's superior resolution comes from superior dampening via an aluminum encloser and screws vs. stained wood and glue.

Biggie.

Aug 3, 2006 at 1:27 AM Post #28 of 65
Quote:

It would be nice, but my issue is that I only use IEMs for traveling and then I'd need to get an amp which I'm afraid would be confiscated with the latest security stuff going on at airports. I would love to hear them though.

yea, I get it. it's a lotta bucks if you only use them now and then. i use iem's at work often, so it's easy to justify. But I had to make the suggestion in response to what you use regularly. got anybody who wants to buy you a $400 to $500 present? I mean, you seem like such a nice guy and all...

Aug 3, 2006 at 2:18 AM Post #29 of 65
Quote:

I've taken it into consideration - that's partly what has sold me on the BD cables. It took me more than a month to really appreciate the GS-1000, so that's why I wanted more then just the ones that tried them for a limited time. Heck even the RS-1's took me a long time to get used to and now they are one of my favorites.

I think it comes down to what's important:

Hirsch mentioned that midrange is everything to him. He/you said that RS-1 w/flats curred his problems. That speaks volumes because for me although the flats expose the terrific midrange of the RS-1, it destroyed everything else that's important to me. So those pads didn't do it for me. To me layering and soudstage size are very important. With the RS-1 everything is squished together in comparison to the GS-1000 which creates more of an "air" around the instruments. Also, the GS-1000 highs (unlike most mentioned here) come very close to the K-1000. Very strong but not harsh (can be strong though) but I don't listening at damaging levels.

I think I understand what people see in the PS-1 and it would be nice to own both. I don't get the recessed mids or linearity issues. I think in comparison to the RS-1 mid hump and highs that can shoot out at you, it can sound like the mids are recessed (btw, the graph doesn't correlate with what I hear, super loud high, super loud bass, and flat mids). Filburt explained to me that there is more to understanding a graph than just at this frequency it sounds this loud, but I'm not an expert on that and what I hear trumps any chart or graph.

Anyway, great discussion and I love the GS-1000 with stock cable, but as usual always look to improve things. I think we've all kind of settled on what we feel accomplishes what we value most. But one thing that I can't find elsewhere and that all these Grado's have IMHO (my most important quality) MUSICALITY!

I agree, completely. Great thread. Nice points you made, well put too.

Aug 3, 2006 at 3:23 AM Post #30 of 65
Quote:

yea, I get it. it's a lotta bucks if you only use them now and then. i use iem's at work often, so it's easy to justify. But I had to make the suggestion in response to what you use regularly. got anybody who wants to buy you a $400 to $500 present? I mean, you seem like such a nice guy and all...

haha I am glad you are enjoying them though. I imagine they are up there with all the phones we are discussing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back