PS-1 ~ GS-1000 ~ RS-1 what ya think?
Aug 5, 2006 at 8:29 PM Post #61 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
OK. that I'll buy. I misunderstood. Have you heard the HP-1? If so I'd appreciate your opinions in comparison to the PS-1

I had a pair of hp-2's for a couple of weeks, but it was not on the same type of system I have now. They are the flatest cans I have ever heard, but I'm not really a fan of them. So yes my comments were more regarding the ps-1's.

Biggie.

Aug 5, 2006 at 11:47 PM Post #62 of 65
I was finally able to hear the last of these today, the GS-1000. I was able to listen to the PS-1s fairly extensively at a meet several months back. Ideally, I would have all three in front of me to truly compare, but life isn't always ideal.

I loved the PS-1s except they were WAY too bassy for me. The GS-1000s were also too bassy for me, but not as much as the PS-1s. The mids and highs of the GS-1000 are very nice. The bass didn't seem to have the superb detail of the PS-1.

Overall, I like the balance of the RS-1s best out of the three.

The GS-1000s are the most comfortable Grados, but they're still a step behind comfort-wise to the circumaural AKGs, Senns, and Beyers, in my opinion, because the foam is a bit rougher than the comfy valour of the others.

The soundstage is better with the GS-1000 than the RS-1 or PS-1, but only slightly. I don't think it's quite on par with the Beyer 880 or AKG 701. At any rate, I wouldn't think to criticize the GS-1000 regarding soundstage as I may with the RS-2s, MS-2s, and other Grados (the RS-1s are a half step better than the other Grados in terms of soundstage but behind the GS-1000s).

Overall -- because the PS-1s are just way too bassy for me, I couldn't live with them. The GS-1000s would be a bit tough for me too because of the bass, but otherwise I really liked them. If I had to pick a Grado as my only headphone, I'd probably go with the RS-1 just because I'm sensitive to bass, I think.

Of course, this is without regard to the HP-1000, which is still my favorite Grado my a slim margin.

Aug 6, 2006 at 3:31 PM Post #63 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
These cans arn't taming the recordings sibilance, they are just representing what is on the recording more true to life. They are more resolute, not less.
Biggie.

imo
The ps-1 forgive much more then the hp-2

the hp-2 present the recording in a more detached sentiment , but there and as-it-is without emphatizing and overedging nothing really ; the hp-2 is also able to let you hear how your gears sound and what's your gear sound signature far more then other cans , so that is also kind of easy to understand what you would like to hear and to understand what is the component of the rig chain to change for the better

the ps-1 convey the recording into music ( much ) more then the hp-2 , and on an absolute scale ( that is , not relative to gears ) they reach down more deep then the hp-2
the mids on ps-1 imo are bit better then on hp-2 and are bit more emotional , while they're not upfront at all ( good thing imo )
the ps-1 are more coloured other then more musical , from bottom to top , the hp-2 are more flat , but they lack the ultimate bass extension and also the ps-1 smoothness

the hp-2 do not tame any recording issue , while the ps-1 let you forgive some issues better then the hp-2

the ps-1 are not less resolving then the hp-2 (!)

Aug 6, 2006 at 4:40 PM Post #64 of 65
Not to cast a negative shadow on a great thread or to "assume" that anyone is commenting on what they haven't heard, but tyloh73 can you please answer this question from another thread? The other thread is slipping away with no answer.

Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyloh73

not gs1000 though,i had a pair with black dragon cable from moon audio,though it's not bad..

Quote:

Originally Posted by audiofiler
Hi there!
Am curious, because I was one of the first to order/receive a Black Dragon pair from preorder, and I received mine 7/11 --you say you had the BDGS1 from Drew..but these just started shipping a few weeks ago with the BD cable?? What amp and source were you running out of (sorry your profile does not include this info)

Seems strange, as they just started becoming available and shipping??

John Grado himself has not heard the BDGS1 yet, per a phone conversation with him a few weeks back.
Interesting..what you say, how long have you had yours? What did you do with your pair, do you still have them?

Aug 6, 2006 at 4:43 PM Post #65 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
I had a pair of hp-2's for a couple of weeks, but it was not on the same type of system I have now. They are the flatest cans I have ever heard, but I'm not really a fan of them. So yes my comments were more regarding the ps-1's.

Biggie.

I remember comparing my RS1 and the HP2 for a weekend. Flat isn't always what I want either...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back