PS-1 ~ GS-1000 ~ RS-1 what ya think?
Aug 4, 2006 at 2:23 PM Post #46 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
The PS-1's are great, but you need to build your system around them in order to have them shine.

not always ..
now that my ears have adapted to the ps-1 signature , I choose them over the other headphones I have anyday and anytime - for portable convenience I turn my head to search where I've left the recabled hd-25i around <- anyone should take in imp. consideration this pair for portable use as they're the very best set one can cover his ears with while on the go , and they sound marvelleously good out of a portable amp .
redwine imod + rockbox -> portable amp ( supermacro/Ae1/other nice port. amps ) -> good mini IC -> PS-1 sounds very good and IMO is a good alternative to any mid-fi home headphone system .

btw , on direct switch from ps-1 to recabled hd600 , the ps-1 trounce the recabled hd600 in quite every regard for my ears , details , grip , right presence and tone on spot , out of any system ..
other comparo
hd650 : I'm not impartial on this as the hd650 have an absurd midbass hill , no cable upgrade can cure them
rs-x : honkyness issue , and overall a (much) more noticeable coloured signature to my ears then what ps-1 expose , on the long run .

Aug 4, 2006 at 3:53 PM Post #47 of 65
ps-1 out of portable rig is fine because portables noticebly lack bass compared to dedicated rigs. Most rigs I've heard the ps-1's out of I didn't like the sound because there was too much dang bass.

Quote:

2)alright,i am about to write someting crazy...my intergrity is at stake for writing this....
back to the sibilances....originally i thought sibilances is in the record and i just have to live with it....but boy was I wrong!after i receive my ps-1 and listen to it,i have yet to heard any sibilances.....amazing,how is that possible?

The ps-1 does a better job of handling leading s and t sounds so any sibliance is reproduced in a tamer manner in comparison to most other headphones, including all of the other john grado headphones. The wooden grados just don't have that same level of articulation and refinement. At the same time I think the rs-1 and gs1k are much more refined then lower end grados and many other cans.

Biggie.

Aug 4, 2006 at 4:02 PM Post #48 of 65
No flaming at all
biggrin.gif
- I think you make some very valid points. Not only that but now I REALLY want to try the PS-1!

I completely agree with you about the K-1000 being better than the GS-1000 (I assume the "not bad" was a language thing (not bad meaning average, which these to my ears are way above whether you prefer or not).

The K-1000 is my favorite headphone for most of the reasons you mentioned. From what everyone is saying I feel the PS-1 (and to me even the RS-1) has a better midrange to it. The RS-1 by a very slight margin.

If you are not a
basshead.gif
then clearly that removes one of the main benefits of the GS-1000. But soundstage is important to me and it looks like the PS-1 doesn't compete in that area.

We'll just have to disagree that the GS-1000 adds unnatural siblance to the recordings. If you buy CDs with siblance and something (phone or system) removes them, then it is being hidden. I've always felt the GS-1000 and to a further extent the K-1000 gives you what's on the recording (my preference) good, bad, ugly. That's why I like having my Senn 600 around to deal with the really bad recordings. The K-1000 is painful on very bad recordings, but it's the price to pay for accuracy.

I've heard the PS-1 sounds like an (HP-1???) with more bass. I think it was the HP-1 that was compared. Can anyone confirm this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyloh73
okay,where to start first.....

first,I listen to alot of hong kong pop(70's and 80's)those cds which were produced back in hong kong around that period are some of the most poorly mixed cd i have ever heard,hollow,bright,bloated bass,lot of sibilances.

second,some of my musics(Chinese and HK music) are ripped from bootleg cd that were produced in china,those cds claimed to be HDCD,24 bit dsd....but compare to the original cd,most of them have sibilances.if you live in new york/L.A,just go to chinatown and you will know what i am talking about.

third,some of the music(chinese and HK music) I listen to are downloaded,i have no choice because like i said,those cds i bought here in the states sound so bad that even the downloaded ape have better sound quality.but i don't feel guity since i owned almost all music that i downloaded,but they are not here with me....again,the ape i downloaded,some of them have sibilances too.

cans/gears that i own/owned:
0)sony d144->senn hd280pro and hd497
1)sony d-34->supermacro v3(opa 604)->dt770/80
2)sony d303/d800k->sr-71->refurbished senn hd 600
3)d303/d800k/ape ->wavelength brick/scott nixon'usbtd/apogee mini dac->t-amp/super t-amp/octopus amp->equinoxed k1000 with no grille.
4)ape->apogee mini dac->BD GS1000
5)ape->apogee mini dac->ps-1

okay,about sibilances,to be fair,setup 0-4,all HAVE sibilances,while d800k/t-amp/stock cable is the worst,apogee mini dac/bd gs1000 being the second.
but i managed to greatly reduced sibilances on k1000 by adding usbtd,now most of the sibilance is gone.i said sibilances kill gs1000 for me,that's true for me now.perhap i spend some times to build a system around them,i might like them better.but i HIGHLY doubt it.

robm321:

My k1000 has equinoxed cable installed and the grilles had been removed,compare to bdgs1000(IMHO),they outshine bdgs1000(only with apogee mini dac),k1000 is clearer,cleaner,faster,has wider and deeper sound stage with better imaging,sound more opened and spacious,more details,has more focused sound.overall has brighter and leaner presentation that i like.but bdgs1000 has better mid that i prefer.but i like ps-1 mid better,i dunno how to descbribed it,but if gs1000 has GREAT mid,ps-1 has MAGICAL mid.it simply sound more effordless and additive.

P.S.please don't flame me or make fun of me.i am just trying to give an honest opinion ....i know there are many grammatical mistakes in my post,but i have tried my best....english is not my 1st language.

peace....

edit to add :

1)i said bdgs1000 is "not bad" is due to the fact that i have listened to arguebly two of the best headphone ever made.had i not listen to ps-1 and k1000,i might like them better.

2)alright,i am about to write someting crazy...my intergrity is at stake for writing this....
smily_headphones1.gif

back to the sibilances....originally i thought sibilances is in the record and i just have to live with it....but boy was I wrong!after i receive my ps-1 and listen to it,i have yet to heard any sibilances.....amazing,how is that possible?

3)about the bass,i don't like big bass,that's why i prefer k1000.

Aug 4, 2006 at 4:18 PM Post #49 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
I've heard the PS-1 sounds like an (HP-1???) with more bass. I think it was the HP-1 that was compared. Can anyone confirm this?

I think the layering of the lower reg, and marks in the upper register are better on the HP-1/2...the highs are comperable somewhat on the HP1/2 VS the PS1, in that they are not commanding or too sibilant. Am thinking the bass is more controlled, natural and bit more realistic on the HP phones..VS the Professional series..a bit more depth and texture between layers of bass on the HP's..

Aug 4, 2006 at 4:28 PM Post #50 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiofiler
I think the layering of the lower reg, and marks in the upper register are better on the HP-1/2...the highs are comperable somewhat on the HP1/2 VS the PS1, in that they are not commanding or too sibilant. Am thinking the bass is more controlled, natural and bit more realistic on the HP phones..VS the Professional series..a bit more depth and texture between layers of bass on the HP's..

Would you say the HP-1 is better overall than the PS-1? Is the PS-1 "layed back" (you mention taming siblance)? Thanks for the impressions.

Aug 4, 2006 at 4:45 PM Post #51 of 65
Quote:

Would you say the HP-1 is better overall than the PS-1? Is the PS-1 "layed back" (you mention taming siblance)? Thanks for the impressions.

too hard to say. It is on preferences that one would lean an opinion on this..
I really wish (like the new Rock Balboa 2007 in a fiction way) that there was a way to hear both new or with relatively the same usage from each set...and do some serious AB'g on like amps, with known synergies for both and making sure the levels are matched..

I can say that for my vinyl rig on my PS1s, running a nice phono stage builds on the PS1's strengths and adds additional gain for low output cartridges which helps to exloit one of this phones' greatest traits...although a lush headphone with the sweetest MR of practically any Grado can, the PS1 lacks in the soundstage area in the same regard as the HP...So would have to go wtih the HP and its dead neutral presentation, maserful layering of the lower bands, and clear non shrill highs..just a perfect phone all around...

edit:
Both of these cans suffer from too much weight on the head after awhile (HP1/2 and PS-1 IMO). And both tame sibilances better than the RS-1/2.. but are darn close to the K1K and BDGS1. I think both of these phones (PS1 and HP1/2 tame the highs better than the Stock GS1, but this is not the fault of the stock GS1, and is more reliant on the source/amp and material maybe..)

Aug 4, 2006 at 7:13 PM Post #52 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiofiler
too hard to say. It is on preferences that one would lean an opinion on this..
I really wish (like the new Rock Balboa 2007 in a fiction way) that there was a way to hear both new or with relatively the same usage from each set...and do some serious AB'g on like amps, with known synergies for both and making sure the levels are matched..

I can say that for my vinyl rig on my PS1s, running a nice phono stage builds on the PS1's strengths and adds additional gain for low output cartridges which helps to exloit one of this phones' greatest traits...although a lush headphone with the sweetest MR of practically any Grado can, the PS1 lacks in the soundstage area in the same regard as the HP...So would have to go wtih the HP and its dead neutral presentation, maserful layering of the lower bands, and clear non shrill highs..just a perfect phone all around...

edit:
Both of these cans suffer from too much weight on the head after awhile (HP1/2 and PS-1 IMO). And both tame sibilances better than the RS-1/2.. but are darn close to the K1K and BDGS1. I think both of these phones (PS1 and HP1/2 tame the highs better than the Stock GS1, but this is not the fault of the stock GS1, and is more reliant on the source/amp and material maybe..)

Thanks again - sounds like the PS-1/HP-1's gloss over the sound (taming siblance) a little to make everything a bit lush and pleasant. Where the K-1000/GS-1000's would be more of a warts and all ruthlessly revealing can (not taming siblance or any other system/recording issues) ?

No more questions I promise - you are a great resource!

Aug 4, 2006 at 7:20 PM Post #53 of 65
Quote:

Thanks again - sounds like the PS-1/HP-1's gloss over the sound (taming siblance) a little to make everything a bit lush and pleasant. Where the K-1000/GS-1000's would be more of a warts and all ruthlessly revealing can (not taming siblance or any other system/recording issues) ?

No more questions I promise - you are a great resource!

The HP1000 definitely doesn't gloss anything over, and while not being the opposite of lush and pleasant (which would be dry and unpleasant), it is more accurately described as neutral and uncolored (which some folks would call "boring," but not me!)

K1000s and GS1Ks definitely extend higher in the upper frequencies than an HP1000 does, however, and so such treble (not a bumped treble, just the existence of it where the HP1000 doesn't reach up to) may give the impression of more detail (meaning, hearing more hisses and pops and clicks and sibilance where it exists in the original recording and so on).

Aug 4, 2006 at 8:22 PM Post #54 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
The HP1000 definitely doesn't gloss anything over, and while not being the opposite of lush and pleasant (which would be dry and unpleasant), it is more accurately described as neutral and uncolored (which some folks would call "boring," but not me!)

K1000s and GS1Ks definitely extend higher in the upper frequencies than an HP1000 does, however, and so such treble (not a bumped treble, just the existence of it where the HP1000 doesn't reach up to) may give the impression of more detail (meaning, hearing more hisses and pops and clicks and sibilance where it exists in the original recording and so on).

Thanks Jahn and Audiofiler - I think I have about the best impression of how they sound now (until I hear them) that I'm going to get.

Thanks everyone for a great thread!

Aug 4, 2006 at 8:30 PM Post #55 of 65
Quote:

These cans arn't taming the recordings sibilance, they are just representing what is on the recording more true to life. They are more resolute, not less. The wooden grados just can't get the leading s and t sounds on vocals to sound correct, its one of their few weaknesses and one that prompted me to go for the ps-1.

Biggie.

Aug 4, 2006 at 8:30 PM Post #56 of 65
Quote:

Thanks Jahn and Audiofiler - I think I have about the best impression of how they sound now (until I hear them) that I'm going to get.

Thanks everyone for a great thread!

You're very welcome
cool.gif

Aug 4, 2006 at 9:55 PM Post #57 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
These cans arn't taming the recordings sibilance, they are just representing what is on the recording more true to life. They are more resolute, not less. The wooden grados just can't get the leading s and t sounds on vocals to sound correct, its one of their few weaknesses and one that prompted me to go for the ps-1.

Biggie.

So, if you have a recording like the old Norah Jones (hmmm is she washed up now?) that was recorded well but clearly has siblance on it, would you hear that with the PS-1?

I just don't hear siblance on the RS-1 or GS-1000 on well recorded voices. On voices that are processed I do, but they are on the recording. Hmmm don't get that they add siblance where it isn't.

Aug 4, 2006 at 10:15 PM Post #58 of 65
Quote:

I just don't hear siblance on the RS-1 or GS-1000 on well recorded voices. On voices that are processed I do, but they are on the recording. Hmmm don't get that they add siblance where it isn't.

They don't add simbilance like say an akg701, but they exagerate the sibilance that is there. Like I said, I never found rs-1 or gs1k to add sibilance. People that arn't susceptable to sibilance probably wouldn't even notice. The cause is probably a mixture of peaky treble and inferior dampening.

Biggie.

Aug 4, 2006 at 10:17 PM Post #59 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
The PS-1's are great, but you need to build your system around them in order to have them shine. The older RS-1's [with the darker wood] come pretty damn close in terms of resolution and are a lot easier on the wallet [both the cost of the headphones and the cost to make them happy]. I also think that they have a general sound signature that I prefer. I need to get some more time with them when compared directly to some HP1000's to be sure, but I think that all things considered, these are probably my favourite Grado. The newer RS-1's are nice too, but seem to be missing something over their older siblings.

I know this is not really the subject of this thread but this is very interesting. I have wondered if the sound of the RS-1 has changed at all over the years (maybe to work better with the bowl pads versus the original flats). Almost nothing in audio lasts for 10 years without some revision. I bought my RS-1's almost they day they became available back in 1995 and immediately preferred them to the HP-2's I had been using for several years before that. They still sound great and tend to be my favorite. I always end up going back to them after time with others including the PS-1 and GS-1000.

Aug 4, 2006 at 11:49 PM Post #60 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
They don't add simbilance like say an akg701, but they exagerate the sibilance that is there. Like I said, I never found rs-1 or gs1k to add sibilance. People that arn't susceptable to sibilance probably wouldn't even notice. The cause is probably a mixture of peaky treble and inferior dampening.

Biggie.

OK. that I'll buy. I misunderstood. Have you heard the HP-1? If so I'd appreciate your opinions in comparison to the PS-1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back