Protest against Posting Requirements for the Gear For Sale/Trade Forums
Feb 8, 2008 at 12:20 AM Post #16 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And you sound like a whole lot of fun!

Don't confuse "fun" with preferential treatment. Am always game for jokes and songs and dance always welcome, but yer still not cutting in front!

Feb 8, 2008 at 12:24 AM Post #17 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsmithepa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't confuse "fun" with preferential treatment. Am always game for jokes and songs and dance always welcome, but yer still not cutting in front!

Yeah, us ugly Americans always want to have our way. We're dicks like that.

Quote:

i wouldnt buy from anyone with under 100 posts

What if I offered to throw in a pony?

Feb 8, 2008 at 12:27 AM Post #18 of 62
Oh, I am! In another 25 posts you'll know it too! At the rate people are responding to this thread, it won't be long...
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And you sound like a whole lot of fun!

Feb 8, 2008 at 12:28 AM Post #19 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewG /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think special requests like this should be accomodated, he's been here for two years and doesn't feel the need to post, I don't think that's a problem. If the person he's dealing with is worried, I'm sure the OP would provide pictures, contact info, et cetera... Open and shut rules like that have nothing to do with rules and more to do with the powers that be being too lazy to make exceptions, but that's what rules are for in this world, a 'one size fits all' type of thing because no one can be bothered... sorry for the rant! I love head-fi

Since you are so sure, would you be willing to take on the responsibility of choosing who gets a "special pass" and reimburse a buyer who, in a rare instance, gets scammed by the person you let by.

Feb 8, 2008 at 12:47 AM Post #21 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by quickink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, I am! In another 25 posts you'll know it too! At the rate people are responding to this thread, it won't be long...
biggrin.gif

Now you're getting the trick....keep it up.

Feb 8, 2008 at 1:26 AM Post #22 of 62
Quote:

Yes, that's what I was thinking of as junk posts... somehow I was under the impression posts should be (intended as) constructive. Sorry... my bad.

See, I mistakenly thought starting a thread that addressed an issue other members were concerned about, in the Members Lounge , was appropriate. I have learned the error of my ways and will keep my mouth shut.

Again, sorry to have offended you all.

This is the right place to address the issue, however this issue has been addressed countless times before. If the reactions here seem harsh, it's because of that reason.

Contribute to the board, give some meaningful posts, give us the opportunity to get to know and trust you a bit, or move to eBay or Craigslist. Head-Fi is a forum with the option to sell and buy gear -- not a marketplace with a discussion board attached.

Also, getting to 50 posts with crap posts will not make anyone eager to deal with you.
smily_headphones1.gif

[size=xx-small]While I hugely support the open discussions on Head-Fi, and am against large scale moderating by mods or admins, it might be time to start closing the threads discussing this topic. The rules are clear and all that can be said has been said. [/size]

Feb 8, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #23 of 62
Same problem as thread opener, but I guess for a place like this there got to be some rules, and what's in place might not work well for everyone but at least it is fair, and I'm sure it proved to be effective to a suitable degree or it wouldn't still be in effect.

Anyways, +1 post for me.

Feb 8, 2008 at 1:35 AM Post #24 of 62
Uhh..., if it makes you feel better, I promise to never buy or sell anything here ever again. I wasn't trying to dump equipment, I'm trying to participate. I tried to post a WWT:

I've learned a lot here watching the forums; I just don't post unless I feel I have something to add. If we worked together, you'd find I don't talk much either. I wasn't asking for an exception or preferential treatment, I just suggested a review of the posting requirements. This isn't the only thread in the General Discussion Forum on the topic and, since it looks as if these posting requirements have been up for a year, I doubt it's the first.

I appreciate what Jude and the rest do for us; that shouldn't mean keeping my mouth shut when I think it could improve.

If I was a 'drive-by' seller, I'd have posted my 30 "Hi, how are you"s, "Far out!"s and "Rule Britannia"s, put my headphones up, and they (and I) would be gone by now. Instead I spend my afternoon responding to a guy that (apparently) thinks I can doctor my profile.

I haven't been this disillusioned since the HF-1 re-issue debacle. It's not fun anymore... it's like splashing around in a shark tank.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
20 something posts in a couple of years (as you say) shows your commitment to this forum. Drive-by sales are better suited to places like Craigslist or ebay. This is not called Sales-Fi. Why do so many new people think this place is a place to unload some equipment? When you buy something, do you investigate the product and the seller before you lay down your hard earned dollar? Most items sold here are major purchases for some and they look to users here for guidance and experience to help them make the right purchase. The buyer still has to beware but a little thing like a demonstrated commitment (as shown in a post count) to the hobby may be all we have here, unless you know the person. Even ebay uses feedback to build some confidence. Why shouldn't we here?

Feb 8, 2008 at 1:44 AM Post #25 of 62
Quote:

I haven't been this disillusioned since the HF-1 re-issue debacle. It's not fun anymore... it's like splashing around in a shark tank.

Stop being a drama queen and just make some useful posts. You'll get there eventually, everyone does.

Feb 8, 2008 at 1:55 AM Post #27 of 62
It's true! And if I'm selling to people who filled their post allotment with a bunch of meaningless posts I'm not getting the purchaser base I want either. Yet the system is bent in that direction. I think there's room for improvement.

How about taking a break from taking potshots at me (not you braillediver) and suggesting some alternate (or even additional) criterion for Posting Requirements? Maybe more meaningful posts instead of junk is a good one?

Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Something to consider- If you fill your post alotment with a bunch of meaningless posts just to sell things you might not get the customer base you want.

Mitch

Feb 8, 2008 at 1:58 AM Post #28 of 62
Seriously.

Browse the forums. Participate in discussions. There are a lot of other subforums here other than the Members Lounge.

If all you want to do is sell stuff, there's eBay, Audiogon, and Craigslist.

Have at it.

-Ed

Feb 8, 2008 at 2:03 AM Post #29 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsmithepa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
U sound like the stereotypical ugly American.

Guess where I come from, we don't ask for exeption for every little thing, we're just happy to fit in. OK, yer having an heart attack, everybody stop what you are doing and assist, but come on! at work too, people ask for exeptions and I go WHY? Is this a medical emergency? Do we have a security breach? No? then get back in line buddy!

If you don't like Americans,then go back to where you came from!boy

Feb 8, 2008 at 2:04 AM Post #30 of 62
Quote:

How about taking a break from taking potshots at me (not you braillediver) and suggesting some alternate (or even additional) criterion for Posting Requirements? Maybe more meaningful posts instead of junk is a good one?

The problem is that "meaningful" is very subjective. Going only by date of registration initially sounds good, but then there are the people who registered in 2001, posted nothing, and then randomly decide that they want to just dump gear (and I'm not saying you are - I'm just discussing the issue in general). There's no easy solution that immediately separates the respectable members from the not. But posting 50 meaningful comments isn't very hard if you just click some interesting-looking topics in the Music forum/Members' Lounge, and you already more than fulfill the 30 day requirement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back