Protest against Posting Requirements for the Gear For Sale/Trade Forums
Feb 7, 2008 at 11:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62

quickink

New Head-Fier
I would suggest Jude & the-powers-that-be reconsider their Posting Requirements for the Gear For Sale/Trade Forums.

I've been a regular visitor here for the last couple years, have purchased a number of items and occasionally even added my 2 cents to a thread. Last week I tried to reply to a FS: post and found I was locked out (so I sent a private message instead). Today I tried to put up a WTT: thread, with the same (locked out) result. Going to the Posting Requirements sticky, I find I need to post another 30 messages here before I'm allowed to participate again. This will be difficult since, until I have a post-count of 50, I'm not allowed to post anything.

I could just flood the members lounge (and other boards) with junk posts to get my post-count up but, since it might start a trend, believe it would be much better if they came up with a more equitable solution.

Please.

Feb 7, 2008 at 11:29 PM Post #2 of 62
The FS forums serve the community.

You've only posted 22 times. We don't know you so well yet.

Some audio forums charge for FS listings. You could do worse.

Feb 7, 2008 at 11:30 PM Post #3 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by quickink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would suggest Jude & the-powers-that-be reconsider their Posting Requirements for the Gear For Sale/Trade Forums.

I've been a regular visitor here for the last couple years, have purchased a number of items and occasionally even added my 2 cents to a thread. Last week I tried to reply to a FS: post and found I was locked out (so I sent a private message instead). Today I tried to put up a WTT: thread, with the same (locked out) result. Going to the Posting Requirements sticky, I find I need to post another 30 messages here before I'm allowed to participate again. This will be difficult since, until I have a post-count of 50, I'm not allowed to post anything.

I could just flood the members lounge (and other boards) with junk posts to get my post-count up but, since it might start a trend, believe it would be much better if they came up with a more equitable solution.

Please.

You could make an effort to participate in the forum. It's not a perfect system but it was done for everyones protection. It's not like anyone asking for much. It's only 50 posts and 30 days. I find it difficult to believe that with these requirements anyone would find it necessary to complain. If it were my choice there would be stricter requirements. If you can't come up with anything other than "junk posts" than maybe you don't belong here. Sorry for being so harsh but come on, this is a little silly, don't you think?

Feb 7, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #4 of 62
Board like this thrive because of unpaid contributors, I guess the powers-to-be are saying to you, don't just take-take-take, give until u put in 50 cents!
smily_headphones1.gif
Or as mentioned above, u could PAY for your advertisement.

Feb 7, 2008 at 11:39 PM Post #6 of 62
Threads like "What do you drink now?" What music are you listening now" etc are threads that can bring your post count to 50 easily, after a couple days.

Kind of "junk post" but ...

Feb 7, 2008 at 11:48 PM Post #8 of 62
I think special requests like this should be accomodated, he's been here for two years and doesn't feel the need to post, I don't think that's a problem. If the person he's dealing with is worried, I'm sure the OP would provide pictures, contact info, et cetera... Open and shut rules like that have nothing to do with rules and more to do with the powers that be being too lazy to make exceptions, but that's what rules are for in this world, a 'one size fits all' type of thing because no one can be bothered... sorry for the rant! I love head-fi

Feb 7, 2008 at 11:59 PM Post #9 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewG /img/forum/go_quote.gif
more to do with the powers that be being too lazy to make exceptions, but that's what rules are for in this world, a 'one size fits all' type of thing because no one can be bothered... sorry for the rant! I love head-fi

U sound like the stereotypical ugly American.

Guess where I come from, we don't ask for exeption for every little thing, we're just happy to fit in. OK, yer having an heart attack, everybody stop what you are doing and assist, but come on! at work too, people ask for exeptions and I go WHY? Is this a medical emergency? Do we have a security breach? No? then get back in line buddy!

Feb 7, 2008 at 11:59 PM Post #10 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewG /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think special requests like this should be accomodated, he's been here for two years and doesn't feel the need to post, I don't think that's a problem. If the person he's dealing with is worried, I'm sure the OP would provide pictures, contact info, et cetera... Open and shut rules like that have nothing to do with rules and more to do with the powers that be being too lazy to make exceptions, but that's what rules are for in this world, a 'one size fits all' type of thing because no one can be bothered... sorry for the rant! I love head-fi

Honestly, Jude and the rest of the Admins/Mods already do enough here, and I can't imagine them having to review these types of things on a case-by-case basis. The rules have been put in place to serve that purpose.

Jude and Co are providing a great resource for FREE to most of us, on their own time. To call them lazy is a smack in the face.

And really, 50 posts? Hardly a rigorous standard to meet.

Feb 8, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #11 of 62
20 something posts in a couple of years (as you say) shows your commitment to this forum. Drive-by sales are better suited to places like Craigslist or ebay. This is not called Sales-Fi. Why do so many new people think this place is a place to unload some equipment? When you buy something, do you investigate the product and the seller before you lay down your hard earned dollar? Most items sold here are major purchases for some and they look to users here for guidance and experience to help them make the right purchase. The buyer still has to beware but a little thing like a demonstrated commitment (as shown in a post count) to the hobby may be all we have here, unless you know the person. Even ebay uses feedback to build some confidence. Why shouldn't we here?

Feb 8, 2008 at 12:09 AM Post #12 of 62
Yes, that's what I was thinking of as junk posts... somehow I was under the impression posts should be (intended as) constructive. Sorry... my bad.

See, I mistakenly thought starting a thread that addressed an issue other members were concerned about, in the Members Lounge , was appropriate. I have learned the error of my ways and will keep my mouth shut.

Again, sorry to have offended you all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caribou679 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Threads like "What do you drink now?" What music are you listening now" etc are threads that can bring your post count to 50 easily, after a couple days.

Kind of "junk post" but ...

Feb 8, 2008 at 12:09 AM Post #13 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsmithepa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
U sound like the stereotypical ugly American.

Guess where I come from, we don't ask for exeption for every little thing, we're just happy to fit in. OK, yer having an heart attack, everybody stop what you are doing and assist, but come on! at work too, people ask for exeptions and I go WHY? Is this a medical emergency? Do we have a security breach? No? then get back in line buddy!

And you sound like a whole lot of fun!

Feb 8, 2008 at 12:15 AM Post #14 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tech2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly, Jude and the rest of the Admins/Mods already do enough here, and I can't imagine them having to review these types of things on a case-by-case basis. The rules have been put in place to serve that purpose.

Jude and Co are providing a great resource for FREE to most of us, on their own time. To call them lazy is a smack in the face.

I completely agree. And let's not forget how much time Jude dedicated to getting the forum back up and running. And are they really expected to find time to filter through exception after exception after exception? The one-month 50-post rule is acceptable for most people. There are no fees to list or sell either - I think we all get a very fair deal here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back