Protest against Posting Requirements for the Gear For Sale/Trade Forums
Feb 8, 2008 at 6:26 AM Post #46 of 62
I'm just going to through in my $0.02: I fully support the posting requirement. In fact, being slightly neurotic, I'm of the opinion it should be higher, but that's just me.

Feb 8, 2008 at 6:26 AM Post #47 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by quickink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...And if I'm selling to people who filled their post allotment with a bunch of meaningless posts I'm not getting the purchaser base I want either. Yet the system is bent in that direction...

I think the only reason the system seems bent in that direction is because so many people have decided that reaching 50 posts is hard, so they put together a post-whoring thread just to make it up to that point. As many others before me have mentioned, reaching 50 posts is not that hard. There are a lot of threads on this site popping up all the time, and you're bound to find one where you are knowledgeable or have a strong opinion at least once a day. Prior to December 2006 or so, I went from my sign-up date in September 2005 up to that point with less than 50 posts. But I picked up a groove somewhere down the line and the post count wracks itself up pretty darn quickly. Heck, you don't even have to be particularly knowledgeable about anything, ask a lot of questions in the forums and you're bound to get involved in a discussion somewhere down the line, and then the post count not only goes up quickly, people actually recognize you as a contributor to the forums and would be more willing to deal with you in the FS/FT sub-Forum

Feb 8, 2008 at 6:28 AM Post #48 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewG /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was ripped off here for $400 a couple years back and have been a member for almost five years with only 130 posts... and I would have no problem making a swap with the OP, I know what to look out for with scammers... but some of the responses in this post to the OP, as well as that barbarian's response to myself on the first page, make me disappointed. This place is less friendly than I thought it is, or once was. Maybe all niche forums are like that... or maybe all people are territorial and don't like things questioned... maybe, maybe not, but in any case I'm done with this place.

Ok, so you're going to quit Head-Fi. Why? Because some idiot showed his true intelligence (and remember, he's an idiot, so his true intelligence can't be much) by saying, "U sound like a stereotypical ugly American" when there was absolutely no context that would have led him (even an idiot at that) to this conclusion? Why wouldn't you, instead, just shrug this off?

In all seriousness, what does that comment have to do with any of the rest of us at Head-Fi? Were I not arriving to this thread so late in the game, I'm sure I would have deleted that post and sent a PM to the offending party to provide a warning. As it is, I think it's sometimes just better to make a mental note of that person's behavior and let his idiotic statement stand. If nothing else, it shows everyone else what he's all about. Perhaps it was a simple mistake in judgment on his part, or perhaps it is a true reflection of his character. That remains to be seen. But it has nothing to do with the rest of us at Head-Fi: just that one person.

In terms of being "territorial", I don't think that's the case at all here. What we have is a simple and not too demanding rule, that is easy to follow. We thought about it for some time before implementing this rule, and eventually decided to put it in place to see how it would work and whether it would address some of the concerns that we were having at the time. For the most part, it has in fact worked quite effectively. Yet, we keep getting these same "protest" threads about it, which only proves that you can't please everyone all the time. No big surprise there.

What most people miss in all of this is the fact that there is a lot of work to do around here and we're all volunteers. To the extent we can help to reduce the incidence of fraudulent sales in the for sales forum by instituting a simple and easy to follow rule that doesn't impose any great burden on anyone, then I'm all for it.

The net results of the 30 days, 50 posts, rule have clearly been positive. The only known side effects of this cure are: 1) we now get slightly more nonsense posts by immature people who are trying to get their post count up to 50 so they can buy or sell something, and 2) "protest" threads like this one about once per month, causing us to have to rehash everything once again and get Tom, Dick and Harry's opinion about a very simple matter that in the grand scheme of things doesn't impose any real burden on them whatsoever.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewG /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think special requests like this should be accomodated, he's been here for two years and doesn't feel the need to post, I don't think that's a problem. If the person he's dealing with is worried, I'm sure the OP would provide pictures, contact info, et cetera...

I don't disagree with that and would probably feel the same way in terms of dealing with someone who is able to represent him or herself well in private messages, email, and phone calls. We were all new to the place once, so of course you're right to treat individuals as individuals. But that's not the point! The rule is designed primarily for administrative convenience and to protect our members from possible scammers (who generally don't want to hang around for a month and make 50 posts just to get their scam threads shut down anyway).

I also don't blame you for thinking that maybe, in certain cases, we could make exceptions. I just wonder: who do you propose should be sitting on this "exceptions board"? What do you think this place is? We've got 65,000 members and about a dozen active moderators, if that. We're all volunteers and we only "work" when we happen to be online. We have no set hours or duties. We simply chip in when we can and as best we can. We don't want to add 20 or 30 or 50 more moderators. We like it that we're a small group and can all get along with each other. But we don't want to create a bunch of needless work for ourselves. Not at the billable rate of 0 dollars and 0 cents per hour!

Quote:

Open and shut rules like that have nothing to do with rules and more to do with the powers that be being too lazy to make exceptions, but that's what rules are for in this world, a 'one size fits all' type of thing because no one can be bothered... sorry for the rant! I love head-fi

"Powers that be"? Like being a moderator here is some kind of power trip? P-uhhh-lease!!!

"Too lazy to make exceptions..." This coming from someone who has been here for several years and has made all of what? 150 posts? What exactly has been your contribution to this place? Amazing how you think we're lazy. You obviously have no idea about what it takes to make Head-Fi a reality for everyone to enjoy, for free.

Come to think of it, you are at least stereotypical. Don't know about the rest of it (ugly and American), but some of these comments you've made really rub me wrong. Nonetheless, that won't make me quit Head-Fi.

Interesting how you say you "love Head-Fi" in one post and then say, "I'm done with this place" in the next post.
confused.gif

Feb 8, 2008 at 6:47 AM Post #50 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecommerce813 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the posting requirements are fair. They could certainly be much stricter or costly. Regardless, 50 posts and 30 days is a small price to pay for a safer place to deal and trade.

Well said. Not completely safe, and maybe not even that much safer, but every little bit helps. BTW, the 30/50 rule was our chosen implementation (it could have been more or fewer days and posts, or it could have been just days or just posts, or something else completely, but the idea of imposing minimum requirements before allowing someone to participate in the buy/sell/trade sub-forums clearly came from our members! We had a number of complaints about scam artists and requests for these sorts of minimum requirements.

Most of the other "discussion" forums that I'm aware of have similar rules as well. By "discussion" I'm referring to forums where the primary purpose is to discuss and not to buy and sell, be they audio/video related forums or otherwise. So we're definitely not alone in having this safety measure in place.

Feb 8, 2008 at 11:49 AM Post #51 of 62
Just to clarify, I have never sold, nor have I tried to sell, anything at Head-Fi.

I bought a headphone amp and some cables over the years but it wasn't why I joined. I do browse through the boards every few days. I hope to learn a thing or two.

I'm not a drive-by board-hacking thief trying to unload equipment, nor am I a bitching drama-queen, or a typically complaining, ugly American. If I read the entries in this thread though, I'd probably start to believe that.

I intended to start a constructive discussion, not to complain. Apparently I blew it.

For those of you who seriously tried to answer my questions, my thanks.
I think a whole bunch of the rest of you should be ashamed of yourselves.

I'm not going to worry about getting 50 posts; it'll happen when I find 50 people worth responding to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems all the people replying how easy it is to hit 50 are people who have 200+ posts...

But it also seems that the OP joined this forum just to sell some headphones. I remember when I joined, I didn't even know the FS forum existed. By the time I noticed it, I'd been a member for a while and had well over 50 posts so I didn't even need to make a conscious effort to post.

Maybe the OP should consider buying some new headphone related gear so he/she has something to post about?

Feb 8, 2008 at 2:13 PM Post #52 of 62
I first saw this thread last night and you were at 26 posts...currently, you're at 30. Just keep this thread going and you'll be there by next week! LOL. But I do agree, you should have been grandfathered in when the rules were changed...I think it was about a year ago.

Feb 8, 2008 at 4:04 PM Post #53 of 62
I don't see the problem.
The 50 posts and 30 days posting requirements have a mission, and they seem to work. Keep the spammers away, and allow the seller to earn a certain respect in the community.

Feb 8, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #54 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the way you've described Head-Fi's moderators, or rather, how you've described how other people might describe us! Quite clever... hmmm... who should I ban next? I know, maybe Sam!!! Getit, gotit?
biggrin.gif

I thought I might catch a "Jahn" banning for that.
tongue.gif

Feb 8, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #57 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
by saying, "U sound like a stereotypical ugly American" when there was absolutely no context that would have led him (even an idiot at that) to this conclusion? Why wouldn't you, instead, just shrug this off?

Read carefully. "Stereotypical" = acts to enhance other's superficial perception of you. Am sure Andrew is a nice guy.

The response had a little relevance to OP but more in response to Andrew's accusation of you being lazy and using one-size-fit-all rule, he finished off by saying he loves this forum but the accusation was black&white and I being in service to the public had to respond.

I am in the U.S. serving the public on a contract and will be going back home soon. My perception is that U.S. customers, in general, are very demanding, for every little thing (this OP post being one), and what irks me is they don't think I'm working hard enuff (Andrew's reply in reference to you). They think if I am not running 150 mph and not stressed out, by golly am lazy and it's in their right to tell me so. I don't get this at home. My hometown folks are very polite and they DO complaint but obviously for good reasons.

I know the U.S. is a bit defensive these days but that's a small (and I stress SMALL, please don't fly off the handle) picture of you.

Feb 8, 2008 at 6:57 PM Post #58 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsmithepa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Read carefully. "Stereotypical" = acts to enhance other's superficial perception of you. Am sure Andrew is a nice guy.

Oh BS. You still brought nationality up without a need. If Andrew was black, would you say "U sound like a stereotypical angry black guy" even though race had nothing to do with his response? Or this entire thread, for that matter?

Quote:

My perception is that U.S. customers, in general, are very demanding, for every little thing (this OP post being one), and what irks me is they don't think I'm working hard enuff (Andrew's reply in reference to you). They think if I am not running 150 mph and not stressed out, by golly am lazy and it's in their right to tell me so. I don't get this at home. My hometown folks are very polite and they DO complaint but obviously for good reasons.

Are any of these customers on this forum? Did they participate in this thread?

Feb 8, 2008 at 9:01 PM Post #59 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsmithepa /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The response had a little relevance to OP but more in response to Andrew's accusation of you being lazy and using one-size-fit-all rule, he finished off by saying he loves this forum but the accusation was black&white and I being in service to the public had to respond.

I am in the U.S. serving the public on a contract and will be going back home soon. My perception is that U.S. customers, in general, are very demanding, for every little thing (this OP post being one), and what irks me is they don't think I'm working hard enuff (Andrew's reply in reference to you). They think if I am not running 150 mph and not stressed out, by golly am lazy and it's in their right to tell me so. I don't get this at home. My hometown folks are very polite and they DO complaint but obviously for good reasons.

I know the U.S. is a bit defensive these days but that's a small (and I stress SMALL, please don't fly off the handle) picture of you.

Your are right we Americans want the very best,and expect no less.
So if a person is serving the public they should either accept this,or let some one else that's willing to serve,to serve!When are you leaving for your home town?

Feb 8, 2008 at 10:01 PM Post #60 of 62
I was/am in the same position as the OP. I was looking for an amp and LOD, and while it was inconvenient to not be able to reply to FS ads, I was still able to PM.

I, too, thought about PM'ing a mod and decided against it. I also thought about doing some post whoring but didn't think that was a good way to build a reputation here. If you've been around for a couple of years you have most likely picked up some knowledge of the areas this forum covers, so why not put it to use and help some of the newer folks that have questions.

Too many people on the internet are out to scam and spam others, and as inconvenient as it may be, this is one solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back