proper setup for ath-a900?
Jul 5, 2010 at 4:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Swolenator

New Head-Fier
i was wondering what the best way to hook up ath-a900's to my pc is.  Right now they are hooked into the green jack of my xfi-titanium.  When I click my sounds playback for windows area it lists speakers 2 high def audio device not plugged in with red down arrow,   Headphones 2 high def audio device not plugged in with red down arrow,  digital output device (spdif)  2 high definition device working, same thing but (hdmi) working, speakers creative sb x-fi working with green check mark, spdif out creative sb x-fi working, and digital output device (hdmi) working.  I don't have an hdmi monitor just in case.  It is set to 24 bit 48hz.  Also what should i change in creative settings? i set it to output for headphones.  Btw this would be for gaming.  i see people talk about digital output but I have no idea what that means when connecting ath-a900 to pc but I see some people connect to amps then pc? Am i missing out if not using digital output?

Jul 5, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #2 of 6
digtal output is for outputting to the digital input of a receiver/decoder. u dont need it here. 
i have an x-fi and am a gamer as well

x-fi in gaming mode, choose headphones, do NOT sync with windows.
cmss 3d ON (turn off for music, it sux for music)

in windows control panel for audio choose 5.1 speakers.

in games: if eax/openal/3d audio is an option choose it. otherwise choose 5.1 speakers in game

for openal/eax games, the x-fi will use its own 3d sound engine , for 5.1 speaker games it will convert to headphone surround (exactly like dolby headphone)

what games do u play? please ask if any questions- so many peeps set up x-fis wrong its sickening

Jul 6, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #3 of 6
I have it as in creative control panel I clicked optimize speaker output for headphones.  Whenever i auto-detect it comes up as 2.1 so I just clicked optimize for headphones.  And can you be more specific for windows control panel I don't see where to pick 5.1 speakers. Do you mean under sound playback right click the speakers configure and select 5.1? It was on stereo before but i just changed it to 5.1.  Is there an option somewhere I check to not sync with windows? I mostly play counter strike source, left 4 dead 2, command and conquer 4, bad company 2, been playing a little of the medal of honor beta.  i also have crysis/crysis warhead and modern warfare 2 but i don't really play them anymore.  I never know what option to pick in game headphones, home cinema, 5.1 or in bad company 2 war tapes.  I know bad company 2 never really sounded as good for me in game as in the videos I noticed I had eq flat on so I turned that off I also had enable eax effects on i turned that off.  I checked counterstrike source it was set to 5.1, bad company 2 is on war tapes, left 4 dead 2 was 2 speakers, modern warfare 2 was windows default, command and conquer 4 doesn't even allow me choose anything.

Jul 6, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #4 of 6
yes on the windows picking 5.1
in x-fi -gaming mode is important- just select headphones. 

try going into left 4 dead. start a single player game. try changing from headphones to 5.1. 5.1 should give u a nice surround sound.  not all games have a surround option

Users who are viewing this thread

Back