Proper Set of Cans
Dec 29, 2010 at 3:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Connnorrr

100+ Head-Fier

Was hoping for some advice.

I currently own some Audio Technica ATH-A700's and I just got some Senn HD595's. I've got a pair of Grados sr80i's on the way because I wasn't sure if I totally enjoyed the Senn's. I'm trying to find great pair of headphones for under $200 USD. My library of music consists of mostly rock/metal, but recently I've been stepping well outside the genre's and I'm slowly making over my library (been addicted to Animal Collective this past week..). Can anyone point me in some directions? 

A bit more detail:

When I got the HD595's out of the package I was rather underwhelmed, but now after giving them a much deserved chance, I can see the appeal of them in the detail they provide (at least in reference to my A700's). I've been looking at maybe getting some Beyerdynamics (the 990's or 770's), but I'm not sure.

My Grado's should get here either today or tomorrow (dec 29/30). Excited to give them a try due to the praise the brand gets on this board at least as entry level cans.

I do not currently have a serious headphone amp or DAC, all I've got is the Fiio E5 currently. Looking to get both an amp and DAC in the future.

I can only afford to keep one pair, but I've got a place with a nice return policy, so I'm trying out stuff. I want to be happy with my new cans, not just content 
atsmile.gif

Any help would be appreciated!

Dec 29, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #2 of 11
How do you find the A700's?

Dec 29, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #3 of 11
I enjoyed them quite a bit actually, so much so I got an ear infection from my ear being too humid. Not huge in the detail part it seems, at least compared to the HD595's, but they're fun. Ultra comfy too.

Dec 29, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #4 of 11
So i'm confused, do you want detail?

Well anyways, I personally found the A700's high-pitched, so you might be fine with beyers, which I've heard are also very bright. But I wouldn't know for sure. I like to stick with my AKG 240's for Metal, I'm not too sure if they're detailed, but they sure as hell sound awesome. I like them better than A700's but we all have different ears. The 240's are awesome for everything except bass-heavy electonica/techno.

Dec 29, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #5 of 11
Call me an HD25 fanboy, but do get the Senn HD25 for metal. Much more versatile than any open can, detail is on par with my HD558, if not better/more accurate, and the sound will rip your face off!..

Just kidding. They are most excellent for metal and fast rock though. Agressive sound, quick and precise.

Dec 29, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #6 of 11
HD-595s are underwhelming for lows.  Cannot stress that enough.
If you like bass, avoid them at all costs.

I'm a pretty huge Beyer fan.  The past month has been dedicated to listening to the 770/880/990
They are very similar. 

CLOSED:  770
OPEN:  880 / 990

LESS BASS:  880
MORE BASS:  770 / 990

I found Zombie_X's comprehensive thread on Beyers very accurate and very unhelpful.
How is that possible?
More of this or less of that doesn't exactly tell you which one you'll like better once it's on your head. 

Overall, I like the 770 sound the best if I could only choose one headphone. 
It has enough bass where I can enjoy hip hop without feeling like huge bass is missing.
It is neutral enough where other music doesn't suffer that much.

That said, I got rid of them as soon as my 880 arrived.
The 880 is open, meaning more comfy over the long run. 
It has less bass, but ends up sounding better for most rock music because of it.

990, which I just got today, is a return to more bass, kind of like the 770. 
I kind of feel like it's redundant though, because I have Sony super bass cans. 
But they're open and comfy like the 880s which I like. 

CONCLUSION:  You can read all you want.  Even if the reviewer is correct in every assessment, it won't tell you which one you will enjoy more. 

Quote:

A bit more detail:
When I got the HD595's out of the package I was rather underwhelmed, but now after giving them a much deserved chance, I can see the appeal of them in the detail they provide (at least in reference to my A700's). I've been looking at maybe getting some Beyerdynamics (the 990's or 770's), but I'm not sure.

I can only afford to keep one pair, but I've got a place with a nice return policy, so I'm trying out stuff. I want to be happy with my new cans, not just content 
atsmile.gif

Any help would be appreciated!

Dec 30, 2010 at 5:19 AM Post #7 of 11
Awesome thanks, I got my Grado SR80i's and thus far I'm really enjoying them. Going to give it another week of switching back and forth before I decide as I don't want to be to hasty.

Also does anyone know of a type of store I could try to find locally that might have some headphones out on display so I could try them in person?

Quote:
HD-595s are underwhelming for lows.  Cannot stress that enough.
If you like bass, avoid them at all costs.

I'm a pretty huge Beyer fan.  The past month has been dedicated to listening to the 770/880/990
They are very similar. 

CLOSED:  770
OPEN:  880 / 990

LESS BASS:  880
MORE BASS:  770 / 990

I found Zombie_X's comprehensive thread on Beyers very accurate and very unhelpful.
How is that possible?
More of this or less of that doesn't exactly tell you which one you'll like better once it's on your head. 

Overall, I like the 770 sound the best if I could only choose one headphone. 
It has enough bass where I can enjoy hip hop without feeling like huge bass is missing.
It is neutral enough where other music doesn't suffer that much.

That said, I got rid of them as soon as my 880 arrived.
The 880 is open, meaning more comfy over the long run. 
It has less bass, but ends up sounding better for most rock music because of it.

990, which I just got today, is a return to more bass, kind of like the 770. 
I kind of feel like it's redundant though, because I have Sony super bass cans. 
But they're open and comfy like the 880s which I like. 

CONCLUSION:  You can read all you want.  Even if the reviewer is correct in every assessment, it won't tell you which one you will enjoy more. 

Dec 30, 2010 at 11:10 AM Post #8 of 11
Guitarcenter, if you have one in your area, has a nice selection of headphones and they allow you to try them with your own source(ipod or other mp3 player).

Dec 30, 2010 at 12:37 PM Post #9 of 11

Awesome, I'll have to go up there and check it out.
Quote:
Guitarcenter, if you have one in your area, has a nice selection of headphones and they allow you to try them with your own source(ipod or other mp3 player).

Dec 30, 2010 at 12:46 PM Post #10 of 11
If it's a bit of a drive, you might want to call first and see what they stock. The closest thing to audiophile cans my local GC had was Audio Technica ATH-M30 and Sennheiser HD-202s. There was a Sam Ash across the street that had an even worse selection.

Don't go by the website. The website stocks everything under the sun.

Dec 30, 2010 at 1:03 PM Post #11 of 11
'Preciate the help man.

Quote:
If it's a bit of a drive, you might want to call first and see what they stock. The closest thing to audiophile cans my local GC had was Audio Technica ATH-M30 and Sennheiser HD-202s. There was a Sam Ash across the street that had an even worse selection.

Don't go by the website. The website stocks everything under the sun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back