Project Ember Tube Rolling
Apr 17, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #3,211 of 3,354
enjoying the ember so far it really is a nice little amp along with the polaris. both are excellent for the price he charges imo. so far i only have put the jungle tubes in and agree they sound very good. much better then the included tube. ive been swamped with work so i have not had to much more seat time yet. i have a good stock of various tubes coming since its been a while since really messing with tubes. the ones from jetparts should be here soon.

Apr 22, 2018 at 9:21 AM Post #3,212 of 3,354
just got my russian 6np3 in Fri. very nice !, i love how the green light in the ember matches the green of my H/K 330c ! goodtube.JPG green.JPG

Apr 22, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #3,213 of 3,354
just got my russian 6np3 in Fri. very nice !, i love how the green light in the ember matches the green of my H/K 330c !
Let those babies burn in for a good 100 hours for them to sound their best. Hopefully they’re semi matched unless you have a tester and you’ve already done that. Have fun and happy listening!! :)

May 1, 2018 at 3:44 AM Post #3,214 of 3,354
Sorry guys, but i'm going a bit off topic. I've been using Project Ember II as my go to amp. I'm finding the stock tube(JJ ECC82) to be a tad too piercing for my liking in the treble region. Can anyone recommend a tube that has smooth but airy highs? I'm using LCD3F.

May 1, 2018 at 5:05 AM Post #3,215 of 3,354
Sorry guys, but i'm going a bit off topic. I've been using Project Ember II as my go to amp. I'm finding the stock tube(JJ ECC82) to be a tad too piercing for my liking in the treble region. Can anyone recommend a tube that has smooth but airy highs? I'm using LCD3F.
Might want to try a Bugle Boy, Mullard or Amperex SQ/PQ, I'd consider these slightly on the warmer side and they smooth out the highs a bit to me.

May 1, 2018 at 5:53 AM Post #3,216 of 3,354

I am running a RCA 6SN7GT Grey Glass with the adapter from Garage, very relaxing, smooth yet good enough with details and dynamics. Soundstage on par with the best part of the other tubes I've run.
Slightly more agressive and with more punch i have an Amperex 7308 that is probably the best all round tube I've rolled to date. Still pleasant but more defined than the 6sn7.

Not an expert btw, but I am also not a big fan of the stock JJ and typically looking for slightly warm and smooth.

Tube list:
6SN7GT RCA - Grey glass / black plates
6SN7GTA RCA
6SN7GTB RCA
6SN7GT / VT231 Sylvania - 2-hole / bottom getter
6n6p Foton - Gold grid
6n6p Novosibirsk
6n23p Voshkod
12bh7a RCA
PCC88 Amperex - Bugle Boy
12AT7 Mullard
12AU7 RCA - Clear top
7308 - Amperex - White print / gold pins
JJ stock

Last edited:
May 3, 2018 at 10:25 PM Post #3,217 of 3,354
Oh Boi those guys are pricy kinda

Well I finally did it, I switched back to my 1940 100%/100% White Label Bottom Getter Tall Bottle Sylvania 6sn7GT VT 231/JAN CHS (my holy grail Sylvania 6sn7) and... i immediately noticed how noisy it is :/ I also remember how lean it is in the bass, but after like 3 months with my current and end game tube the Classic Grade Psvane CV181-T Mark II ValveTubes, I can say I'm not going back to my back up >.> it's a little nosier and not as detailed nor resolving

So that said, I can certainly recommend the Psvanne CV181-T Mark II Classic Grade. I did a best offer and paid like $100 shipped for it, there are cheaper variants you can get for less but I'd avoid them. Some folks in other threads/communities have noticed they aren't nearly as resolving

But YAY! Got my end game 6SN7! Tonally I find the Psvanne to be everything I want and them some. It's blacker than my old 1940 Syl, just as open and expansive. A little darker up top, better resolve in the mid range and more tactile. Bass is also... punchy with more weight but no lack of texture. Basically everything I've wanted+ a little more, the only down side I can think of is the bass. If your trying to tame a Bass Heavy Dynamic with like 300+ Ohms resistance than you might enjoy a classic 40's White Label Syl 6SN7 as it's extra noise is moot into a higher restive load. But if your driving low impedance planars or sensitive dynamics again I think the Psvanne is the way to go

So while I have NO idea how it compares to the Dual Single Plate Triode options, I think for a single 6sn7 this one's pretty much the only thing I'll recommend. Yes it's a completely NEW STOCK Tube so no new Old Stock magic here, but again for a New Stock tube it's got the advantage of a longer life and less variation. So again I recommend em!

Jun 20, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #3,220 of 3,354
For those of you rolling in 2C51s - Jeremy is now shipping the V2 adapter which will not only work with the Ember, but should work with any amp which takes 6922s

Jun 20, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #3,222 of 3,354
Do u know what was changed for the v2?

The tube heaters weren't getting power with non-G1217 amps. That is fixed.
He also added a hole in the middle so the LED in his amps will shine through the adapter and into the tube.

Jul 22, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #3,223 of 3,354
Anyone know if 6N8P works on Ember? i have a chinese 6N8P that came stock with DV336SE

I seems to be equivalent to 6SN7 so i thught it would work but since the manual doesn't list this tube, i couldnt be sure

Jul 22, 2018 at 5:31 PM Post #3,224 of 3,354
Anyone know if 6N8P works on Ember? i have a chinese 6N8P that came stock with DV336SE

I seems to be equivalent to 6SN7 so i thught it would work but since the manual doesn't list this tube, i couldnt be sure

Should be fine, but if you want to be sure -- shoot Jeremy at G1217 an email to confirm.
I haven't used that tube but have tried several other 6SN7 equivalents with success

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back