Project Ember Tube Rolling
Apr 3, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #3,196 of 3,354
Appreciate the info. I ordered three of the jungle tubes just because we may never see them again down the line. also the tungsols 2 different ones ones, a 2c51 pair and one 6sn7 pair both nos. grabbed the sylvania black I found on eBay it was a price i couldnt pass up. I have the lyr 3 coming also and just finished a crack and a "custom" build I'm working on (otl design) so down the rabbit hole I go hahaha. heard so many great things about the ember I had to try one out it's coming with its brother Polaris. been a while since I did a ton of tubes so this should be fun.

Apr 8, 2018 at 7:08 PM Post #3,197 of 3,354
I've gone back through this thread looking for a mention of the 5755/420A tubes - it is a 12AX7 equivalent but with different pin wiring and requires an adapter. Someone mentioned it earlier and I bought the adapter but haven't tried any of the 5755 tubes.
I know I read about it somewhere in this thread, but just can't find it now. If anyone has tried this tube, I would be interested in their observations.

Apr 9, 2018 at 8:49 PM Post #3,199 of 3,354
I've gone back through this thread looking for a mention of the 5755/420A tubes - it is a 12AX7 equivalent but with different pin wiring and requires an adapter. Someone mentioned it earlier and I bought the adapter but haven't tried any of the 5755 tubes.
I know I read about it somewhere in this thread, but just can't find it now. If anyone has tried this tube, I would be interested in their observations.

It was probably me. I bought a couple 5755 to 12AX7 adapters and was hoping to convince Jeremy to make some better ones. One for Ember and another for Leeloo. Probably too niche though for him to bother with. I haven't actually tried the 5755 in Ember yet. I think I'll do that tonight. It's a pretty solid tube. No obvious flaws or shortcomings. Maybe not as quite as good as a 5751, but way cheaper to buy. I honestly think for the price it's a ridiculous steal, just like the 5670/2C51/6N3. I bought a sleeve of 5 NOS Raytheon 5755s for $28 and that's probably going to last me 20 years.

I still have one running in Leeloo, so I obviously think it has potential. Probably going to depend a lot on the amp.

Apr 9, 2018 at 10:18 PM Post #3,200 of 3,354
Ahhh, I think it was you Matt -- I have the adapter and ordered four of the tubes today - $4.95 each is pretty low cost, at least compared to 12AX7s.
Should have them in a few days and will see how they stand up. I'll be interested to see what you guys think once you've tried them.

Apr 10, 2018 at 3:49 AM Post #3,201 of 3,354
Ahhh, I think it was you Matt -- I have the adapter and ordered four of the tubes today - $4.95 each is pretty low cost, at least compared to 12AX7s.
Should have them in a few days and will see how they stand up. I'll be interested to see what you guys think once you've tried them.

I've been listening to the 5755 in Ember with my GH1s (with Grado G-cush pads) now for about an hour or so. I use Jeremy's attenuator adapter cable, so keep that in mind. Gives me a lot more play on the volume dial. Also kills most of the background noise and hiss without having to resort to digital attenuation. I'm sitting at about 11 o'clock on the volume dial right now listening to some Animals as Leaders. Starcastle was a bit over 12 o'clock.

I'm quite satisfied with this tube so far. Definitely a brighter presentation than the 6J5Gs, but not overly so. I guess anything is bright compared to them, though. Same as in the Leeloo, I don't find any obvious shortcomings and nothing stands out as missing with the 5755, but that's a good thing. I unfortunately tend to zero in on annoyances in tubes, and I don't have any with this tube. Same with the 5670, just an all-around good sounding tube. This tube seems to have excellent control over the entire audio range and makes me want to keep on listening. Really nice sound for prog rock and metal.

Can't say anyone should just run out and buy 5 of them and an adapter, but if you're looking for a cheap, solid tube, it's worth checking out. Harder and harder to find good NOS tubes that don't cost a fortune. I was originally turned onto this tube from Justin, owner of Ampsandsound, while talking to him at a local meet in Phoenix, as his recommendation for the Leeloo. Figured it would work well in the Ember also, and certainly does seem to. Just don't forget you need an adapter to try it out... Don't want any fireworks.

Apr 10, 2018 at 4:40 AM Post #3,202 of 3,354

i got the adapter ordered also today.what tubes did you order?

on another note.... my "jungle" tubes were finally shipped out after a whole lot of stress. wow. will be my one and only order from upscale ill just leave it at that.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2018 at 8:10 AM Post #3,203 of 3,354
I've been listening to the 5755 in Ember with my GH1s (with Grado G-cush pads) now for about an hour or so. I use Jeremy's attenuator adapter cable, so keep that in mind. Gives me a lot more play on the volume dial. Also kills most of the background noise and hiss without having to resort to digital attenuation. I'm sitting at about 11 o'clock on the volume dial right now listening to some Animals as Leaders. Starcastle was a bit over 12 o'clock.

I'm quite satisfied with this tube so far. Definitely a brighter presentation than the 6J5Gs, but not overly so. I guess anything is bright compared to them, though. Same as in the Leeloo, I don't find any obvious shortcomings and nothing stands out as missing with the 5755, but that's a good thing. I unfortunately tend to zero in on annoyances in tubes, and I don't have any with this tube. Same with the 5670, just an all-around good sounding tube. This tube seems to have excellent control over the entire audio range and makes me want to keep on listening. Really nice sound for prog rock and metal.

Can't say anyone should just run out and buy 5 of them and an adapter, but if you're looking for a cheap, solid tube, it's worth checking out. Harder and harder to find good NOS tubes that don't cost a fortune. I was originally turned onto this tube from Justin, owner of Ampsandsound, while talking to him at a local meet in Phoenix, as his recommendation for the Leeloo. Figured it would work well in the Ember also, and certainly does seem to. Just don't forget you need an adapter to try it out... Don't want any fireworks.
You have such great taste in music! I also value yoyur opinion on your tube usage. I'm gonna have to try these other tubes you guys are talking about...especially the Jungle tubes

i got the adapter ordered also today.what tubes did you order?

on another note.... my "jungle" tubes were finally shipped out after a whole lot of stress. wow. will be my one and only order from upscale ill just leave it at that.
If you're talking about the 5670 tubes, here's a couple suggestions you can't go wrong with
Tung Sol 5670. You can get a set for $35. Excellent tube and has some of the best mids I've heard with really good low end.
My favorite is the Western Electric 5670. The JW WE are also excellent but I don't really hear a difference from the regular WE.
Also for SUPER cheap, the (early 1970's) 6N3P-E or (late 1950's to early mid 1960's) 6N3P Foton. Both are so damn inexpensive and sound incredible after at "least" 100 hours burn in. Takes the same adaptor. You can get a lot of 8 NOS/NIB untested or matched though for like $8 from the right seller. Evene if a couple are duds it's still so, so cheap. The shipping costs more then the tubes and they take about 3 weeks, or I can just sell you a set really cheap if you pick up the shipping which will be a LOT cheaper then coming from the Ukraine....and a lot faster.
If interested I can PM you. I turned 4-5 Head-fiers on to these and so far I "think" they really like them....especially for the money.

https://www.ebay.com/p/NOS-Pair-Tun...itm=151621028745&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2018 at 8:51 AM Post #3,204 of 3,354
I have several of the 6N3P/2C51 variants and all sound very good to my ear and they are cheap. My favorites were purchased on EBay and may be the same ones @Astral Abyss mentioned. It was a lot of 8 NOS Gold Grid 6N3P Reflektor tubes from an ebay seller "jetparts" - $11 for the lot plus $11 shipping from Ukraine. It did take 2-3 weeks to get them - https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-x-6N3P-E...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I just ordered my first 5755s yesterday, also on ebay - seller name: "tubetoons". They are J.A.N. Raytheon for $4.95 ea and $7.50 expedited shipping. https://www.ebay.com/itm/5755-Vacuu...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Apr 10, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #3,205 of 3,354
I have several of the 6N3P/2C51 variants and all sound very good to my ear and they are cheap. My favorites were purchased on EBay and may be the same ones @Astral Abyss mentioned. It was a lot of 8 NOS Gold Grid 6N3P Reflektor tubes from an ebay seller "jetparts" - $11 for the lot plus $11 shipping from Ukraine. It did take 2-3 weeks to get them - https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-x-6N3P-E-2C51-6385-ECC42-6N3P-REFLEKTOR-TUBES-GOLD-GRID-NOS-BOXED/172357379759?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I just ordered my first 5755s yesterday, also on ebay - seller name: "tubetoons". They are J.A.N. Raytheon for $4.95 ea and $7.50 expedited shipping. https://www.ebay.com/itm/5755-Vacuum-Tube-J-A-N-Raytheon-New-Dual-Triode-12AX7/120666321927?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

nice thank you ill grab a few of those to play with also. for the price why not

Apr 10, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #3,206 of 3,354
I have several of the 6N3P/2C51 variants and all sound very good to my ear and they are cheap. My favorites were purchased on EBay and may be the same ones @Astral Abyss mentioned. It was a lot of 8 NOS Gold Grid 6N3P Reflektor tubes from an ebay seller "jetparts" - $11 for the lot plus $11 shipping from Ukraine. It did take 2-3 weeks to get them - https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-x-6N3P-E-2C51-6385-ECC42-6N3P-REFLEKTOR-TUBES-GOLD-GRID-NOS-BOXED/172357379759?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I just ordered my first 5755s yesterday, also on ebay - seller name: "tubetoons". They are J.A.N. Raytheon for $4.95 ea and $7.50 expedited shipping. https://www.ebay.com/itm/5755-Vacuum-Tube-J-A-N-Raytheon-New-Dual-Triode-12AX7/120666321927?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Those 6N3P-E’s from Jetparts is the exact seller I’m turning everyone on to. They’re a good seller. I’ve bougjt 3 lots off them.

Everything you listed is exactly the way it is. They’re very excellent sounding tubes for
the money.
Just burn them in for “at least” 100 hours before final judgement.

Apr 10, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #3,209 of 3,354
Also check out the 6N3P Fontons. Late 50’s early 60’s. A little bit more money but they are excellent. Don’t know an eBay seller but go to the LYR tube rolling thread.
Look for @AuditoryCanvas as he’s a great seller win reasonable prices. I get a ton off him and they’re excellent and buy with confidence. He’s meticulous. Everything is Matched and tested. I highly recommend him for anything that he has to sell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back