Project Ember Tube Rolling
Mar 20, 2018 at 11:04 PM Post #3,166 of 3,354
You guys are killing me!! I was just thinking that I had a very good collection of tubes for my Ember and at least 4 that I would rate A to A+.

And now this. A mysterious Soviet tube that was hidden in a jungle in South America for 50 years. Will this tubeitis ever end??

Question to the owners of this new wonder tube. The comment about moving the vocals forward. Are you EQing your Ember? I have found with even my A+ tubes that I need to dial in just a tad of treble and upper mid s with my Loki to get the vocals more forward in headphones.

The Ember is an amazing amp! Every time I listen to music with it I am more in love with it!

Love my Ember too! As to your question, I only have the 10k knob tipped up to about 1-1:30 maybe, but I consider that as mostly an adjustment for the HP's I'm using. The middle two knobs are centered. Those would likely affect the vocals the most. I don't feel my phones need any help there. I have the 20Hz knob at ~ 2:30. Love me some bass.

While I'm at it, I mentioned earlier that I was considering getting another one of these 'Russian Jungle Tubes'. Well I did. The second one still has that open air presentation to it like the first. You can tell it's the same tube, but on further swapping between the two, the second one is a bit sharper overall. It has more of a SS sound to it. It's most noticeable when the music reaches a crescendo or loud passage. When comparing, noticing this, the first tube I received is a bit softer sounding. It's subtle though. I love them both and can find myself switching them out on occasion just to change it up some. It's nice to have a backup.

Oh, and you could say that they look identical. Like the pic I posted several posts back.

Mar 21, 2018 at 7:14 AM Post #3,168 of 3,354
Well thanks rgmffn! After reading your post I caved and ordered a Jungle Love tube to add to my Ember stash. Koover, please take me off the group buy list.

Can't wait to see what kind of opportunities the new adapter adds to the Ember tube rolling mayhem.

Does anyone know how to put a freeze on your Pay Pal account for electronic related items only?

Mar 22, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #3,170 of 3,354
Tube adapters arrived today. Beautiful. Work great. Sound great. I'm quite pleased.

A big thank you to everyone that helped make this happen!

IMG_20180322_182945.jpg IMG_20180322_182926.jpg IMG_20180322_182906.jpg

Mar 22, 2018 at 9:58 PM Post #3,171 of 3,354
Tube adapters arrived today. Beautiful. Work great. Sound great. I'm quite pleased.

A big thank you to everyone that helped make this happen!

Mine single arrived too.
Probably going to nab a few more for the LYR2. It is of very high quality too.

Mar 22, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #3,172 of 3,354
Astral Abyss, are the WE 396A in your Ember anywhere close to your beloved 6J5 National Unions???

Has anyone, other than HOWIE13, tried the dual C3G's in their Ember? My pair of CG3's are quite microphonic but crazy good in detail retrieval.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2018 at 12:15 AM Post #3,173 of 3,354
Astral Abyss, are the WE 396A in your Ember anywhere close to your beloved 6J5 National Unions???

No, they aren't, but I wasn't really expecting them to be. The big octals have a really nice airiness and reverb to them that I like. But sometimes I like to swap the giants for something a bit more nimble and linear. Depends on the music. My metal and electronic music just wastes whatever life is left in those old 6J5Gs. They aren't fast enough to keep up and can't put down deep, clean bass like the Reflector 6N3P-E and WE 396a can..

The 5670 series of tubes give any 6922 a run for the money and don't cost a fortune. They're wonderful in my Woo Audio WA2.

I don't think anything tops those old-ass 1930s 6J5Gs, but they just simply are vanishing into history. Can't really find anything matched anymore. Hard to recommend something to folks that doesn't exist.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #3,174 of 3,354
I don't think anything tops those old-ass 1930s 6J5Gs, but they just simply are vanishing into history. Can't really find anything matched anymore. Hard to recommend something to folks that doesn't exist.

Thanks, AA. I think I'll sit out this round of tube buying madness as I do have 4 pairs of Tung Sol and Visseaux 6J5's (plus other octal 6 volt single plate tubes) as well as the C3G, 12A-- and lots of 6922 and 7308's.

I appreciate your opinion very much!

Thanks

Mar 23, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #3,175 of 3,354
Thanks, AA. I think I'll sit out this round of tube buying madness as I do have 4 pairs of Tung Sol and Visseaux 6J5's (plus other octal 6 volt single plate tubes) as well as the C3G, 12A-- and lots of 6922 and 7308's.

I appreciate your opinion very much!

Thanks

I think you're set.

Only thing I can add is that this adapter and tube type can pretty much replace any 6DJ8/6922/7308 tube in any amp out there... for cheap... and they sound just as good or better. That's the real beauty of it.

Mar 23, 2018 at 4:59 PM Post #3,176 of 3,354
Today was a most excellent Ember day! I got Jeremy's newest tube adapter and... a Russian Jungle Tube in the mail.

The adapter is a fine piece of work, as always from him. But it may be a moot point for me. I rolled in one tube with the adapter and it sounded very good with no time on a NOS.

Them I rolled in the Jungle Tube also with no time on it. Popped in Dire Straits first CD and kicked back. First track was good and then... I was on stage with Dire Straits for the next 40 minutes. This tube kicks butt! Excellent layers of sound, bass, mids and treble in perfect balance and vocals clear and distinct.

WOW and then some. I had a couple of very strong favorites before. A Crosley, a Bugle Boy and a Kenrad and 6 or 7 other rollers. It may be real hard to pull the Jungle Tube out of the Ember going forward.
Thanks for the tip!

Mar 23, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #3,177 of 3,354
Today was a most excellent Ember day! I got Jeremy's newest tube adapter and... a Russian Jungle Tube in the mail.

The adapter is a fine piece of work, as always from him. But it may be a moot point for me. I rolled in one tube with the adapter and it sounded very good with no time on a NOS.

Them I rolled in the Jungle Tube also with no time on it. Popped in Dire Straits first CD and kicked back. First track was good and then... I was on stage with Dire Straits for the next 40 minutes. This tube kicks butt! Excellent layers of sound, bass, mids and treble in perfect balance and vocals clear and distinct.

WOW and then some. I had a couple of very strong favorites before. A Crosley, a Bugle Boy and a Kenrad and 6 or 7 other rollers. It may be real hard to pull the Jungle Tube out of the Ember going forward.
Thanks for the tip!
Post removed

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2018 at 11:44 PM Post #3,178 of 3,354
I may have jumped the gun. Doesn't look like the adapters are working in WA2. Got to email Jeremy and find out what's up. Seems odd.

Mar 24, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #3,179 of 3,354
:)

Thanks for the tip!

:) You're welcome. Glad you like the tube and it sounds like it's as much as I do.

Some may not remember my posts above but after receiving my second one, and letting it burn in for ~50 hrs or so, it has surpassed even the first one in sound quality, or, my preference. They are now different sounding. The first one has gobs of air and slightly better vocals but something is lost somewhere and it's not as engaging now having been listening to the second one. The second one is just soo musical. Not quite as much air, but just clean, clear, foot tapping bliss. It just seems to make everything stand out. The bass on both of them are very close to the same I'd say. It's just something different in each of their presentation. I'm really surprised on how different they sound now that they both have some hours on them. But they are both better than any other (5) 6sn7 I have.

I've noticed differences in other doubles of 6922's also so I'm learning that there can be differences even in the same tube(s).

Happy hunting guys!

Mar 24, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #3,180 of 3,354
:)

:) You're welcome. Glad you like the tube and it sounds like it's as much as I do.

Some may not remember my posts above but after receiving my second one, and letting it burn in for ~50 hrs or so, it has surpassed even the first one in sound quality, or, my preference. They are now different sounding. The first one has gobs of air and slightly better vocals but something is lost somewhere and it's not as engaging now having been listening to the second one. The second one is just soo musical. Not quite as much air, but just clean, clear, foot tapping bliss. It just seems to make everything stand out. The bass on both of them are very close to the same I'd say. It's just something different in each of their presentation. I'm really surprised on how different they sound now that they both have some hours on them. But they are both better than any other (5) 6sn7 I have.

I've noticed differences in other doubles of 6922's also so I'm learning that there can be differences even in the same tube(s).

Happy hunting guys!
What tube are you referring to? I got lost in translation somewhere along the line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back