Project Ember Tube Rolling
Mar 9, 2018 at 1:29 AM Post #3,136 of 3,354
Mar 15, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #3,138 of 3,354
IMG_0980.JPG

I. Am. Done.

This guy has more detail and air with crystal clear forward vocals surpassing each of my other five 6sn7 tubes.

Even though Kevin doesn't advertise that these are NOS, having been found in a warehouse, in Brazil... in the jungle, I'm just wondering.
Being that they/it came in the original box, looks pretty pristine, and the fact that now having about 50hrs on it, I swear it's sounding even better.
I'm wondering how you can have a tube from the 60's that is used, but still have the original box. But I'm not complaining. At his price and the way it performs, this thing is a steal!

Thanks to everyone here for sharing your stories.

Mar 15, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #3,139 of 3,354

I. Am. Done.

This guy has more detail and air with crystal clear forward vocals surpassing each of my other five 6sn7 tubes.

Even though Kevin doesn't advertise that these are NOS, having been found in a warehouse, in Brazil... in the jungle, I'm just wondering.
Being that they/it came in the original box, looks pretty pristine, and the fact that now having about 50hrs on it, I swear it's sounding even better.
I'm wondering how you can have a tube from the 60's that is used, but still have the original box. But I'm not complaining. At his price and the way it performs, this thing is a steal!

Thanks to everyone here for sharing your stories.

Interesting, what 6H8C are those excactly?

Mar 15, 2018 at 6:27 PM Post #3,141 of 3,354
Interesting, what 6H8C are those excactly?

60's Russian. Interestingly, the picture on his page doesn't 'exactly' match the one I received. I'm not sure what that says about his stock. Then again, as much as I know the different appearance may mean absolutely nothing. Also, mine has this fine coating on the glass, like paint overspray, that has a slight green hue. You can see some of it in my pic above. Not sure what that is either.
Here's the link. Hope that's ok.
https://www.upscaleaudio.com/products/early-russian-6h8c-6sn7

Edit to add: I've been listening to it this afternoon. Man does that tube sound good.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2018 at 6:39 PM Post #3,142 of 3,354
More than fine, thanks a lot.

NIB @ 30 USD... damn.

What 6SN7s did you compare it to?

Mar 15, 2018 at 9:12 PM Post #3,143 of 3,354
More than fine, thanks a lot.

NIB @ 30 USD... damn.

What 6SN7s did you compare it to?

It was compared to

2 Sylvania 6sn7 GTB's
Ken-Rad 6sn7 GT
Sylvania 6sn7 GT
Tung-Sol 6sn7 GT Mouse Ears

Of the 2 Syl GTB's one is a standout. It's notable feature is outstanding bass. The Ken-Rad is... not bad. The Mouse Ears is brighter overall with great detail. The Syl GT is the worst sounding of the lot probably. It was cheap. .

The the Russian tube has the best characteristics of all the others in one package. I spoke of the vocals and detail but the bass is also outstanding. Tight and textured.

I don't see how anyone could go wrong trying one at that price. It sounds exceptional in my setup.

Mar 16, 2018 at 1:03 AM Post #3,144 of 3,354
I'm curious about the silk-screened 6SN7GT on Russian tubes. I've never seen them do that before. It would be like the USA silk-screening Russian equivalents on tubes during the Cold War. Never would have happened. Makes me think it's some enterprising Westerner hoping to legitimize these tubes and cash in on a huge stash of them they bought for pennies on the dollar... raising awareness and the going price. It'll most likely work too

I have some 1958 Foton 6N8S tubes. Bought them from Russia a year or two ago. They do sound excellent. Never got much acknowledgement when I mentioned them because no one really wanted to hear of it. Some people might think it's simply us reaching the bottom of the barrel of 6SN7s for what's left at a reasonable price, but the Russians make some damn good NOS tubes. Their Reflektor 6P14P-EV tubes are amazing (EL84/7189 equivalent) and probably my favorite EL84. Super thick glass and rated up to 10000 hours. Sound better than anything else I have for Leeloo. The 6N3 (5670) tubes that @koover is recommending and Jeremy is making us a custom adapter for are excellent and a freaking steal at their current prices. I plan on getting a nice stash of them before they're $50 a pop.

Mar 16, 2018 at 1:35 AM Post #3,145 of 3,354
I'm curious about the silk-screened 6SN7GT on Russian tubes. I've never seen them do that before. It would be like the USA silk-screening Russian equivalents on tubes during the Cold War. Never would have happened. Makes me think it's some enterprising Westerner hoping to legitimize these tubes and cash in on a huge stash of them they bought for pennies on the dollar... raising awareness and the going price. It'll most likely work too

I have some 1958 Foton 6N8S tubes. Bought them from Russia a year or two ago. They do sound excellent. Never got much acknowledgement when I mentioned them because no one really wanted to hear of it. Some people might think it's simply us reaching the bottom of the barrel of 6SN7s for what's left at a reasonable price, but the Russians make some damn good NOS tubes. Their Reflektor 6P14P-EV tubes are amazing (EL84/7189 equivalent) and probably my favorite EL84. Super thick glass and rated up to 10000 hours. Sound better than anything else I have for Leeloo. The 6N3 (5670) tubes that @koover is recommending and Jeremy is making us a custom adapter for are excellent and a freaking steal at their current prices. I plan on getting a nice stash of them before they're $50 a pop.

I know very little about vacuum tubes. So you're saying the marking on the tube seems suspicious. I feel Kevin Is trustworthy and certainly knows his tubes. And all I know is how good it sounds in my system. It's the best I've ever heard it sound. By a good margin. That's all that really matters to me. That, and the price of course. :) I'm even thinking about purchasing another. It would be interesting to see if another one performs at the level this one does.

Mar 16, 2018 at 1:55 AM Post #3,146 of 3,354
I know very little about vacuum tubes. So you're saying the marking on the tube seems suspicious. I feel Kevin Is trustworthy and certainly knows his tubes. And all I know is how good it sounds in my system. It's the best I've ever heard it sound. By a good margin. That's all that really matters to me. That, and the price of course. :) I'm even thinking about purchasing another. It would be interesting to see if another one performs at the level this one does.

Not so much suspicious as just seems cheesy. It is what it is. If it sounds good is what matters. I'm just suspicious by nature and simply commenting on something that appears out of place to me.

Upscale Audio is legit and I'd buy a tube they tested and verified without reservation. You get that piece of mind at least. I've bought from them before. But, they do charge a premium.

Mar 19, 2018 at 12:06 PM Post #3,147 of 3,354
You guys are killing me!! I was just thinking that I had a very good collection of tubes for my Ember and at least 4 that I would rate A to A+.

And now this. A mysterious Soviet tube that was hidden in a jungle in South America for 50 years. Will this tubeitis ever end??

Question to the owners of this new wonder tube. The comment about moving the vocals forward. Are you EQing your Ember? I have found with even my A+ tubes that I need to dial in just a tad of treble and upper mid s with my Loki to get the vocals more forward in headphones.

The Ember is an amazing amp! Every time I listen to music with it I am more in love with it!

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #3,148 of 3,354
One thing on these top secret Russian Relektors, they take an inordinate amount of burn-in time. I haven’t even got there yet but 200 hours seems to be the magic number. All I know is they sound better with each listening session. They open up a lot with solid low end, nice extended treble (but not harsh) and not as “fuzzy” or congested when they’re straight out of the box. For the money bro, they really can’t be beat. Your best deals are buying a lot of 10 or more and it’ll cost you $10-15 plus shipping. They’re just untested and not matched.

Mar 19, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #3,149 of 3,354
And the latest from Jeremy just a few minutes ago re: the 2C51 adapters.

"PCB's are here, will build up and do a final checkout on a lot tonight - long as all is good - they will be good to go tomorrow!"

That's awesome guys

Mar 19, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #3,150 of 3,354
Yes it is. How are we going to do this? This isn’t for sale for everyone (at this point, correct?) so do we want to do a PM? Your call as you took the lead on this. Thanx again for stepping up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back