Project Ember Tube Rolling
Jan 11, 2018 at 10:24 PM Post #3,046 of 3,354
Jan 12, 2018 at 1:01 AM Post #3,048 of 3,354
I take it, Hong Kong is the only place you can get that adapter?

YUP, I get a lot of my adapters out of China as well. The pricier ones are really worth the extra $4-5 I've found as the really cheap ones can be kind noisy.

Jan 12, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #3,049 of 3,354
Loving this thread as a new Ember II owner. Currently only have the 12AU7 that came with the amp, but have 6SN7 and adapter and 6N30P on order and anxious to give them a try.
I think you'll like the 6SN7 in the Ember. I have likely over a grand in assorted tubes, some are NOS, 8 & 9 pin for the Ember, and the Sylvania 6SN7 GTB that I got from Jeremy is easily the best sounding tube of them all. I have another Sylvania 6SN7 GTB, along with a 6SN7 GT and a Ken-Rad 6SN7 GT that I got off eBay, but none of them sound as good as the one I got from Jeremy. Is it a fluke? I don't know. But that tube is handled with care and has a permanent home in my Ember ll.

Jan 12, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #3,050 of 3,354
Thanks, I'm anxious to get that one and should have in a day or so. I don't anticipate rolling a lot of tube but a few will be fun. I ordered a couple of 6DJ8 variants off of Ebay - mainly to see how that works out. Probably will try a few 6SN7s just to see the difference. I do expect that Jeremy will be my primary source of tubes.
I look forward to the adventure and hopefully will stop well short of your tube expenditure LOL.

Jan 12, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #3,051 of 3,354
I think you'll like the 6SN7 in the Ember. I have likely over a grand in assorted tubes, some are NOS, 8 & 9 pin for the Ember, and the Sylvania 6SN7 GTB that I got from Jeremy is easily the best sounding tube of them all. I have another Sylvania 6SN7 GTB, along with a 6SN7 GT and a Ken-Rad 6SN7 GT that I got off eBay, but none of them sound as good as the one I got from Jeremy. Is it a fluke? I don't know. But that tube is handled with care and has a permanent home in my Ember ll.

Thanks, I'm anxious to get that one and should have in a day or so. I don't anticipate rolling a lot of tube but a few will be fun. I ordered a couple of 6DJ8 variants off of Ebay - mainly to see how that works out. Probably will try a few 6SN7s just to see the difference. I do expect that Jeremy will be my primary source of tubes.
I look forward to the adventure and hopefully will stop well short of your tube expenditure LOL.

I'm a 6SN7 fan my self, it seems though we've lost the Dual Tube guys though... hopefully they chime in here shortly as apparently the imaging on those was amazing! Non the less I too dropped like $300-400 experimenting with EXCLUSIVELY Sylvania 6sn7s and I was fortunate to get my hands on both the Tall Bottle Bottom Getter Flashed 1944 Jan-CHS VT 231 White Label and the harder to find 1950 Green Label Tall Bottle Bottom Getter Flashed Jan-CHS VT 231

In the end I preferred the clarity of the White Label over the meatier sound of the Green Label... I don't really have to much interest in rolling any more tubes as I really just need to upgrade to a better amp overall as I'm really super happy with my Ember II as is, I would also recommend you remove/bypass the Input Attenuation as well. I found improvements to clarity when I removed/bypassed that resistor

Though my DAC has both High and low fixed Output gain...

Jan 12, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #3,052 of 3,354
I haven't done anything with the jumpers yet but I will try that this weekend sometime - thanks for the recommendation.

By the way, where did you find those 6SN7s -- EBay or is there another/better source?

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #3,053 of 3,354
I haven't done anything with the jumpers yet but I will try that this weekend sometime - thanks for the recommendation.

By the way, where did you find those 6SN7s -- EBay or is there another/better source?

I roll the dice with eBay, though I got lucky and found a 100%/100% with equal measurements in uSiemens and mA with the original box, I've found the closer the measurements the better the imaging, my green Label is like 95/107 and again isn't nearly as detailed or resolving as my matched white label

But I feel I got lucky with mine! The more expensive vendors outside of eBay do sell more closely matched tubes I believe

Jan 14, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #3,054 of 3,354
[snipped] In the end I preferred the clarity of the White Label over the meatier sound of the Green Label... I don't really have to much interest in rolling any more tubes as I really just need to upgrade to a better amp overall as I'm really super happy with my Ember II as is, I would also recommend you remove/bypass the Input Attenuation as well. I found improvements to clarity when I removed/bypassed that resistor

Thanks for that recommendation. That is the only setting that I never played with.

There is definitely a difference with bypassing the resistor. It does add clarity but also seems a bit edgy to me. More SS like, I guess. With the resistance in place, it is smoother sounding, more tube like. Which I prefer. Also, without the resistance I'm just barely off the stop at around 8 o'clock for normal listening levels. It's just way too sensitive with my setup. This little amp has gobs of power.

I realize with different setups, HPs especially, others would prefer to bypass the attenuator. It just doesn't work for me.

Love my Ember. It's a tinkerers dream. And just sounds amazing! Couldn't be happier.

Jan 14, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #3,055 of 3,354
I'm a 6SN7 fan my self, it seems though we've lost the Dual Tube guys though... hopefully they chime in here shortly as apparently the imaging on those was amazing! Non the less I too dropped like $300-400 experimenting with EXCLUSIVELY Sylvania 6sn7s and I was fortunate to get my hands on both the Tall Bottle Bottom Getter Flashed 1944 Jan-CHS VT 231 White Label and the harder to find 1950 Green Label Tall Bottle Bottom Getter Flashed Jan-CHS VT 231

In the end I preferred the clarity of the White Label over the meatier sound of the Green Label... I don't really have to much interest in rolling any more tubes as I really just need to upgrade to a better amp overall as I'm really super happy with my Ember II as is, I would also recommend you remove/bypass the Input Attenuation as well. I found improvements to clarity when I removed/bypassed that resistor

I just need some clarification if I could please.
Are you meaning to literally remove both of the little plastic jumpers on each side of the amp and run without? I'm still a little ignorant with this amp.

Jan 14, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #3,056 of 3,354
Are you meaning to literally remove both of the little plastic jumpers on each side of the amp and run without? I'm still a little ignorant with this amp.

The little plastic jumpers on the sides are used to set the output resistance/impedance.
The attenuation jumpers are under the top cover and close to the RCA input jacks on the back right (labled as: adjustable input gain module and jumpers)
Ember manual: http://www.garage1217.com/MANUALS/EMBER MANUALS/EMBER II MANUAL 4-4-15.pdf

Jan 14, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #3,057 of 3,354

The little plastic jumpers on the sides are used to set the output resistance/impedance.
The attenuation jumpers are under the top cover and close to the RCA input jacks on the back right (labled as: adjustable input gain module and jumpers)
Ember manual: http://www.garage1217.com/MANUALS/EMBER MANUALS/EMBER II MANUAL 4-4-15.pdf

Yeap, DavidA is correct pull off the top plate and back near the input RCAs is a set of jumpers, part of why I got more clarity is because my DAC sounds cleaner with it's lowest Fixed Output setting, using the Higher Fixed Gain output from my DAC sounds worse with any amp VS how the low gain setting is. Thankfully only my HE 4 and AKG K240 need high gain out and honestly they sound better with the Solid State Amp if and only if I run the amp with a Phase Reversed signal that's corrected via a cable, apparently that configuration allows 100% of the amps potential to amp the left and right signals independently since they are fed out of phase. The Cable puts them back into phase and the results are a cleaner more expensive sound BUT ONLY with my HE 4 and AKG K240, literally everything else I own sounds better with the Ember II fed Low Gain from my dac

Jan 17, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #3,059 of 3,354
OK guys - another noob Ember question:
I just received a 6SN7 and adapter from Jeremy. The adapter does not seat fully into the 9 pin socket on the Ember. I'm afraid to force it down.
It appears to be approx. 1/8" short of being fully seated.
A question is, is this normal?

Everything appears to work ok - except there is a low level buzz(no input) and some scratchiness when rotating the volume knob above 2 or 3 o:clock.
Is this normal? could it be related to the adapter not being full seated in the 9 pin socket?
I've tried a variety of 9 pin tubes (6DJ8, 12AU7, 6N30P) and had no noise or vol knob scratch.

Jan 17, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #3,060 of 3,354
OK guys - another noob Ember question:
I just received a 6SN7 and adapter from Jeremy. The adapter does not seat fully into the 9 pin socket on the Ember. I'm afraid to force it down.
It appears to be approx. 1/8" short of being fully seated.
A question is, is this normal?

Everything appears to work ok - except there is a low level buzz(no input) and some scratchiness when rotating the volume knob above 2 or 3 o:clock.
Is this normal? could it be related to the adapter not being full seated in the 9 pin socket?
I've tried a variety of 9 pin tubes (6DJ8, 12AU7, 6N30P) and had no noise or vol knob scratch.

That's a good question, I would take off your top plate snap a pic of what your seeing and send Jeremy a question about it. He's very responsive/interactive. He's helped me trouble shoot more than a few times!

Your also welcome to send us the same pic, as we'd need to see what your seeing before we could help at all

I have 2 6sn7 adapters from him and neither give me any issue as for the Vol Pot Scratching it could be related to either the way the adapter is seated or the tube your using with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back