Project Ember Tube Rolling
Oct 10, 2016 at 2:24 AM Post #2,656 of 3,354
So I have been rolling tubes in the Ember I and now Ember II for quite some time. I've been with Ember since Ember was newish if I'm not mistaken. Ember is not even my favorite tube amp. That said I have rolled tubes from bugle boys to old telefunkens, and everything in between. I have done the 6SN7 and loved it. 12AX7 has been my favorite followed up closely with 12AT7, but 6SN7 has been that filler that made me feel I found the best all a round tube for the Ember. Then I bought the Shuguang Treasure CV181-Z....this is end game for me. It has everything all the best tubes I own has...with a quiet noise floor and better clarity. Not super happy about the price per tube but I have to admit it was worth it.

Oct 11, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #2,657 of 3,354
So i decided to get in the next days:
"6SN7 (used vintage) combined with our 6SN7 tube adapter $39.99"

from Garage 1217. Just wanted to ask, do i need the Tube adapter with my Ember 2.0?. I presume it's plug n play, right?
How much playtime do i get usually with "used vintage"?

Is there a commonly known Bang for the buck tube? I already have the 6n6p tube which has a lot of listening time on it..

How's the Amperex 6DJ8? Whats the sound signature?

Oct 11, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #2,658 of 3,354
Yes, the 6SN7 adapter is needed with both Ember I & II.

Everything Jeremy sells is top quality, including his tubes. While he doesn't often carry the more rare/expensive tubes those he does sell are tested and often a great value. His used tubes should give you several hundreds of hours (if not much more).

Oct 13, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #2,659 of 3,354
Anyone else planning to get, or interested in, the new Kameleon coming out from Garage1217 later this month?  

http://www.garage1217.com/garage1217_diy_tube_headphone_amplifiers_019.htm

This is actually one of the most unique and interesting new products I've seen in a while.  I'd love to be able to get rid of the software EQ in my chain.  I told my wife I already know what she can get me for Christmas.  Then I just need the modules for my HD800 and LCD 2.2F and I'm set.  If I can get Jeremy to make some Grado modules, I'll be in heaven.

I'm hoping Kameleon stacks under the Ember since I don't have room to set them side-by-side.

Oct 13, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #2,660 of 3,354
I hit Jeremy up about it and I'm going to go check it out at his place next month. It's definitely not going to have nearly the precision that a software EQ will. If you're in search of a perfect EQ, the Kameleon is definitely not the way. If you are just wishing for a bit more bass (or can't stand the HD800 because of it's piercing highs), this appears to be the best place to start. If you're listening to vinyl, I think this is by far the best option at this price.

Two big takeaways to think about: 

1. This could change the pecking order of headphones. Different headphones will each have different levels of improvement. With a few minor changes, flawed headphones could turn into great headphones. Headphones like the HD700 could become real players. Our idea of value could change if tacking a couple hundred dollars onto a $500 headphone makes it compete with $1000+ headphones. 

2. Mixing filters also could be interesting. There is a different filter for both K701's and K702's. This gives AKG users options in case their perceived flaws aren't the same as Jeremy's (or Frans') perceived flaws. This could go infinitely deep with future filters.

Just guessing, it doesn't look like it's going to stack. I could be wrong, but I believe the filters might be too tall. Otherwise he probably would've left them under the acrylic rather than cutting a hole. Also, I'm sure he's going to be putting out filters for nearly everything. He already has a big list and the product isn't even out yet. I'm guessing it isn't too hard to design the filters based off his progress already. 

Oct 13, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #2,661 of 3,354
Just bought the 6SN7 from Jeremy. Looking forward to try it.

Oct 13, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #2,662 of 3,354
Oct 13, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #2,663 of 3,354
I bought the "6SN7 (used vintage) combined with 6SN7 tube adapter" for $39.99. Unfortunately I don't know which 6SN7, Jeremy told me that the tube is warmer than an Amperex 6DJ8 though, which i opted also for.

Oct 14, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #2,665 of 3,354
  It's a vintage Sylvania yellow label black plate / chrome top 6sn7

I have several Sylvania 6SN7s.  I like the way they sound.  There's a bunch of different designs that all sound different.  If you like the way that one sounds, you'll have to do a bit of research and see what all their other designs are.  I'm still looking for a reasonably priced Slyvania 6SN7W with good specs.

Oct 14, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #2,666 of 3,354
So I have been rolling tubes in the Ember I and now Ember II for quite some time. I've been with Ember since Ember was newish if I'm not mistaken. Ember is not even my favorite tube amp. That said I have rolled tubes from bugle boys to old telefunkens, and everything in between. I have done the 6SN7 and loved it. 12AX7 has been my favorite followed up closely with 12AT7, but 6SN7 has been that filler that made me feel I found the best all a round tube for the Ember. Then I bought the Shuguang Treasure CV181-Z....this is end game for me. It has everything all the best tubes I own has...with a quiet noise floor and better clarity. Not super happy about the price per tube but I have to admit it was worth it.

What do you like about the Shuguang Treasure CV181-Z beyond a typical 6sn7gt? I am running a 6an7gt into my hd650 and I like it. If I could get even more a lush sound I would pay those prices.

Oct 15, 2016 at 1:04 AM Post #2,667 of 3,354
What do you like about the Shuguang Treasure CV181-Z beyond a typical 6sn7gt? I am running a 6an7gt into my hd650 and I like it. If I could get even more a lush sound I would pay those prices.

I'll quote my post from here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/479031/6sn7-tube-addicts/5955#post_12913875

So clean sounding. I'm a little shocked at the low noise floor of this tube. I'm used to tubes putting a little noise out when no music is playing and this thing is so quiet! What a pleasant surprise. It helps to produce some nice clean highs, very deep bass compared to most of my tubes kinda reminds me of some of my punchy 60's era bugle boys and it has a very smooth mid-range. Lots of body and space. Clarity abounds and a richness to the music is very welcome.

As for lushness. Well that is tuff. I have a few Telefunkens that ooze lush where as the 6SN7 tubes that I own aren't really lush sounding in comparison. This CV181-Z isn't really a lush tube to me. I think if that is your goal then there are better options out there. That lush warmish 3dish sound is better served by a nice telefunken IMO. I would compare the Treasure more to a very nice sounding Amperex bugle boy from the 1960 or so but with deeper cleaner bass better mids and smoother highs.

I have several 6SN7 tubes and to me the Treasure is a step above over all of them. I currently own the following 6SN7 tubes:

1946 RCA 6SN7GT Black Plates, Copper Grids, [o] Getter
1960's Sylvania 6SN7GTB Red label, Black Triangle plates, halo getter
Raytheon JAN-CRP-6SN7GT VT-231

I hope this helps.

Oct 15, 2016 at 1:21 AM Post #2,668 of 3,354
  Anyone else planning to get, or interested in, the new Kameleon coming out from Garage1217 later this month?  

I'm tossing around the idea. I know Fran has been using these filters for a long time and others seem to like them a lot. That said I would want the docking unit that can be used with other amps but only if it can be used with the Ember and Polaris as well. I hardly run my Ember but once in awhile so i would want the dock that can be used with all of my amps. I don't see why it wouldn't work with the Ember even if it states for NON garage1217 amps. I sent a message out to Jeremy and I'll wait for his response before committing.

The major downside to me is the price. $229.99 for the dock, plus $39.99 X2 for the LCD2 and HD600 filters. I think that will be about the same I spent for just the Ember give or take...

Oct 15, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #2,669 of 3,354
I'll quote my post from here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/479031/6sn7-tube-addicts/5955#post_12913875

So clean sounding. I'm a little shocked at the low noise floor of this tube. I'm used to tubes putting a little noise out when no music is playing and this thing is so quiet! What a pleasant surprise. It helps to produce some nice clean highs, very deep bass compared to most of my tubes kinda reminds me of some of my punchy 60's era bugle boys and it has a very smooth mid-range. Lots of body and space. Clarity abounds and a richness to the music is very welcome.

As for lushness. Well that is tuff. I have a few Telefunkens that ooze lush where as the 6SN7 tubes that I own aren't really lush sounding in comparison. This CV181-Z isn't really a lush tube to me. I think if that is your goal then there are better options out there. That lush warmish 3dish sound is better served by a nice telefunken IMO. I would compare the Treasure more to a very nice sounding Amperex bugle boy from the 1960 or so but with deeper cleaner bass better mids and smoother highs.

I have several 6SN7 tubes and to me the Treasure is a step above over all of them. I currently own the following 6SN7 tubes:

1946 RCA 6SN7GT Black Plates, Copper Grids, [o] Getter

1960's Sylvania 6SN7GTB Red label, Black Triangle plates, halo getter

Raytheon JAN-CRP-6SN7GT VT-231

I hope this helps.

Thanks. Would a Telefunken 12au7 be pretty lush?

Oct 15, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #2,670 of 3,354
Thanks. Would a Telefunken 12au7 be pretty lush?

That is a good question. I have not heard one so I can't say for sure. All of mine are 12at7. I prefer the higher gain of 12AT and 12AX. I have several 12AU7 tubes but sorry I have not heard a Telefunken 12au7. That makes me curious though!

The most lush sounding Telefunken I have heard is my 1959 12AT7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back