Project Ember Tube Rolling
Sep 15, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #2,626 of 3,354

An earth wire is a wire that connects a piece of equipment to earth. Here's an explanatory link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/science/add_aqa/electricity/householdelecrev5.shtml.

To earth a Faraday cage you attach the earth wire from the Farady cage to an earth point. The Faraday cage might work without being earthed, but mine needed earthing.

'Nearby redundant equaliser' means an equaliser which is positioned nearby but not being used. It has an earth point and that's what I attach the earth wire to. Not every piece of equipment has an earth point though. 

Here's pictures of an earth wire attached by hooking through a hole in my Faraday cage which encloses a 6A6 tube in Ember, with the other end attached to an earth point on nearby equipment.

Note the 'Chassis Earth' symbol by the connector, and even though the equipment with the earth point is redundant and not powered up, it still needs to be plugged into the mains, and requires a mains plug with an earth pin.

Earth symbols can look slightly different. You can Google image those..

I was looking around the house. I don't have any equipment that has this "Chassis Earth" however I did look through some older posts on this thread. I see others using a copper wire to the thumb screws or use a copper wire and touch the top of the cap. Touching the cap sounded more dangerous. 

I am going to revisit the foil idea tonight. Last time I didn't ground the foil so it didn't get rid of the earth hum. I will report back.

Sep 15, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #2,627 of 3,354

I was looking around the house. I don't have any equipment that has this "Chassis Earth" however I did look through some older posts on this thread. I see others using a copper wire to the thumb screws or use a copper wire and touch the top of the cap. Touching the cap sounded more dangerous. 

I am going to revisit the foil idea tonight. Last time I didn't ground the foil so it didn't get rid of the earth hum. I will report back.

Hopefully one of those earthing methods you are trying will get rid of the hum. Good luck.

Sep 17, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #2,628 of 3,354
Figured I'd post some more developed impressions of my pseudo-V2 Ember: 

In a word: capable. It's not like it's a secret, but all of the different settings and options I have to play with is just incredible. When I picked this guy up from the FS forum for under $300, I expected a bit due to the impressions I'd read, but I would not say I was expecting life change. Well, my life hasn't totally changed, but this little open-air wonder certainly continues to impress. 

I've downsized and now I'm using the Mojo as a desktop DAC with great results. The Ken Rad VT231 plays wonderfully with my PS1000s and an EH6sn7 Gold Pin synergizes quite well with my Alpha Primes. I detect little if any grain or harshness in the sound!

Still trying to figure out the best combination of resistance and output impedance for each headphone, but the clear and powerful sound I'm getting already doesn't give me any reason to hurry!

Sep 20, 2016 at 3:30 AM Post #2,632 of 3,354
Received my two Zenith 6J5's today

With regards to the dual 6J5 adapter, do you guys not push all the way down into the ember? I noticed that you guys seem to have a larger gap in between the bottom of the adapter and the top of the ember, at the moment I've got two pieces of microfibre in between the adapter and the ember so I don't scratch it

Sep 20, 2016 at 4:46 AM Post #2,634 of 3,354
True, I wonder if they've reduced the gap on the adapter (the black part with the bottom of the adapter) because if I push all the way down then the bottom of the adapter will touch top of the ember

I'm not an audiophile by any stretch of the imagination so I can't describe it in terms that you would all be used to. All I can say is they sound great :)

Sep 20, 2016 at 5:08 AM Post #2,635 of 3,354
As a Polaris owner is the Ember sound different enough with a capable tube to warrant a purchase? Pairing with HD600 and a modi multibit DAC.

Thx!

Ember's sound is determined by the tube you chose so it can indeed sound different from Polaris- whether you would prefer Ember is another matter. Tube amps have their own characteristics, which can make them both easier and harder to use compared to SS amps.

Sep 20, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #2,636 of 3,354
True, I wonder if they've reduced the gap on the adapter (the black part with the bottom of the adapter) because if I push all the way down then the bottom of the adapter will touch top of the ember

I'm not an audiophile by any stretch of the imagination so I can't describe it in terms that you would all be used to. All I can say is they sound great :)

Am I the only one hearing the grounding hum from them? Were they dead quiet for you?

Sep 20, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #2,637 of 3,354
Am I the only one hearing the grounding hum from them? Were they dead quiet for you?

My 6J5 tubes with dual adapters (6J5 to 6SN7 and 6SN7 to 12AU7) are all completely quiet.  Sounds like you may have a bad adapter or are picking up noise from something nearby.

Sep 22, 2016 at 1:14 AM Post #2,639 of 3,354

As a class of tube, I've found the 6J5's to be quiet in Ember and free from hum, but there will probably always be the occasional tube which picks up ground/earth hums.

Great pity, but as has already been said, it's worth checking the adapter is secure and cleaning the pins etc.

Sep 29, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #2,640 of 3,354
The recent posts regarding Faraday Cages and quiet tubes finally got me to build one!

Yes, it is a Project Starlight not an Ember, but using the adapter and 6J5's I needed that last little hint of noise to be eliminated. The cage did just that. Well worth the less than $3 in fencing materials used.

I really enjoy the Visseaux 6J5's tubes and have 3 pairs but found that in my setup all were just a bit noisy..............now................ dead SILENT!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back