Project Ember Tube Rolling
Oct 17, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #2,671 of 3,354
Hello old friends on the Ember tube rolling thread,

In order to balance out the synergy with a rare tube I recently acquired for another amp, I'm in need of assistance in finding a 'darker' tube to pair it with. Would anybody here please recommend a tube which is known to have recessed treble and bass emphasis? It's for the driver tube of my other amp, which uses the same types as the Ember so it should be 6DJ8 / 12AT7, 6SN7, etc. class. I really need to find a tube that is not only bassy, but also somewhat treble shy in order to get better synergy with this... if anyone can please recommend a type that would be helpful, or if you have an extra pair then please send me a PM so we can work something out. Thanks!

PS - Howie 13 thanks for your help on this, but I'm still searching

Oct 17, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #2,672 of 3,354

In order to balance out the synergy with a rare tube I recently acquired for another amp, I'm in need of assistance in finding a 'darker' tube to pair it with. Would anybody here please recommend a tube which is known to have recessed treble and bass emphasis? It's for the driver tube of my other amp, which uses the same types as the Ember so it should be 6DJ8 / 12AT7, 6SN7, etc. class. I really need to find a tube that is not only bassy, but also somewhat treble shy in order to get better synergy with this... if anyone can please recommend a type that would be helpful, or if you have an extra pair then please send me a PM so we can work something out. Thanks!

K-R 6SN7 VT231 has been previously mentioned and I think that was a very good suggestion. Also worth considering 6N6P.

Oct 18, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #2,676 of 3,354

I was about to suggest the dual 6C5G tube in 6J5 adapter if possible. Bass and mids are strong on the 6C5G, but has bit rolled off treble compared to the V's 6J5. The K-R VT231 sounded more like a mild V-shape to me, but for bass, 6C5G wins over K-R (at least on ember).

Nov 6, 2016 at 4:58 AM Post #2,680 of 3,354
Nov 7, 2016 at 1:23 AM Post #2,681 of 3,354
Hello old friends, I'm quoting this from the newest Elise thread, in hopes for clarification:

On a different topic, I've noticed our Elise 6SN7 class drivers are even far more flexible than we may have realised! Here's a tube compatibility chart for 6SN7 including it's little brethren of the ECC88 / 6DJ8 / 12AU7 type (the smaller all work with the same 6SN7 to ^^ adapter. Basically 12AX7, 12AV7, 12AZ7 etc. are mostly just different from the gain factor, the higher the letter preceding the 7 indicates louder gain, if I understand correctly

I've been finding that the smaller driver tubes on Elise can give an extra dimension of vividness, immediacy and clarity that I have never heard from any 6SN7 class tube yet

EDIT: the above chart refers mostly to 12v tubes, but the Elise uses 6v

Warning: They Do Not!

The 12A_7 tubes can be used with the right adapter that will be different then a ECC88/6DJ8 adapter.
ECC88 and 6DJ8 are 6.3 volt tubes.
12A_7 tubes are 6.3 or 12.6 volts according to how they are wired.

Apologies, Oskari. It looks like the 12A(T,U,V,X)7 class tubes are generally not compatible in the Elise's 6SN7 driver tube slot. However there are 6 volt versions (the ones with parallel wiring) which should definitely work, though needing their own adapter. This data sheet shows the voltage / heater current for both serial and parallel versions of these tubes:

http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/frank/sheets/093/1/12AT7.pdf

Interesting though, on the Ember Tube Rolling thread, the first post has numerous mentions of these 12AX7 tubes used in the Ember, which has one identical 6SN7 slot as the Elise driver slots. I presume they were using a separate adapter, and only the 6v versions, and otherwise the 12v versions probably had little more negative effect than draining more power.

It would be interesting to get this all sorted out though, as it seems the 12A_7 tubes are much more plentiful and even cheaper than the ECC88 / 6DJ7 class, making them much easier to source

So can a 12 volt 12A_7 tube be used on a 6SN7 slot via a 12AX7 adapter, or only the 6v version? And how to tell if it's a 6v version? And does it also work with an ECC88 adapter?

EDIT: some members at Head-Fi have revealed the 12A_7 series can be converted to 6v via the corrent adapter's parallel circuitry. These need their own adapter, but the 6CG7 / 6FQ7's can be used in an ECC88 adapter

Dec 16, 2016 at 8:41 AM Post #2,683 of 3,354

I am using this in case you never found the synergy you sought. For about 6 or 7 years I couldn't get a pair of Focal Electras a hich retailed for 6 kil0 bucks to sound the way I wanted. It took Cardas gold reference ICs Jena speaker cables an AE 3 ,Cary preamp with Sylvania Ws and the final pieces were tube monobloc amps.
Try using Cardas cabling but make sure its the gold reference type, not the newer cleaner detailed stuff. Moon Audio may have something. NO affiliation and not even a customer but they have, Cardas cables.

Jan 29, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #2,685 of 3,354
Rocking the national union 6f8g today, hadn't listened to it in a while, nice to change things up every now and then

(bad cell phone pic)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back