Project Ember Review
Aug 24, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #1,322 of 1,366
Just add a Audiquest Dragonfly Black/Red or some other high quality (fairly priced) DAC-dongle to the laptops USB-port and youre ember will sound great. I can not compare to the mojo either tho.

With even a basic DAC like DF Black Ember will be in a different league than the Mojo.

Mar 12, 2019 at 5:36 AM Post #1,324 of 1,366
Does anyone out there have an opinion about how the Genalax Gold Lion 12AT7/ECC81 and 12AX7/ECC83 sound with the Ember? Any tube recommendations that go good with this amp (reasonably priced ones please). Thanks!
I only have the 12AU7 and 6JD8 Gold Lion tubes and to me they are decent, pretty neutral IMO and you can find them on sale once in a while so they are usually reasonable prices.

Mar 12, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #1,325 of 1,366
I only have the 12AU7 and 6JD8 Gold Lion tubes and to me they are decent, pretty neutral IMO and you can find them on sale once in a while so they are usually reasonable prices.

I drove to The Tube Store today and decided to get both of those Gold Lion tubes.

I’m currently listening to the 12AX7 and it’s a very high gain Tube. At slightly lower than 1/4 volume, set to mid, the Ember is about as loud as I would listen to with my HD58X. A fair amount of Tube hum between tracks, I hope that settles down after some usage. My HD650 sounds less intense, if that’s an accurate way to describe it. The Tube gets very warm, bordering on hot.

The Gold Lion 12AT7 is slightly quieter but not by much on the volume dial with the HD58X. It too has a bit of hum but not as much as the 12AX7. I set the Ember to Low and this tube sounds very good with the HD650, probably the best I’ve heard this headphone sound.

Both tubes sound quite detailed with good bass punch. I like them straight out of the box. I assume they’ll improve with time.

The RCA 12AU7 is the quietest volume wise and hum wise and appears to be a good match for the Ember.

Let the Tube rolling fun begin.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2019 at 2:56 PM Post #1,326 of 1,366
I usually stay away from 12AX7 and 12AT7 due to the higher gain which makes volume control too sensitive for me and also to noise issues that I've had with a few times.
With 6JD8/6922 I've had channel imbalance with some of them so its hit or miss but the do have better dynamics to me in general.

Mar 13, 2019 at 3:27 AM Post #1,327 of 1,366
Mar 18, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #1,328 of 1,366
It has been a while since I checked this, but as far as I can remember:
Polaris: Solid state amp works with most headphones in terms of impedance (class AB amplification).
Ember: tube pre-amp + solid state output stage, works with most headphones (AB amplification).
Solstice: similar to Ember but less powerful. It can also be used with 12SN7 tubes, which is quite nice! Ember cannot be used with those tubes.
Sunrise/Horizon: Very similar amps, but they are designed to work with headphones of different impedance (starlight 16-300 ohm, horizon 300-600 ohm). IIRC, these ones were class A amplification.

I have Ember at home and Polaris at work. Really like both, as they have similar sound signature.

Maybe someone else can complement/correct my answer...

Oct 16, 2019 at 5:58 AM Post #1,329 of 1,366
Does anyone out there have an opinion about how the Genalax Gold Lion 12AT7/ECC81 and 12AX7/ECC83 sound with the Ember? Any tube recommendations that go good with this amp (reasonably priced ones please). Thanks!
Try a 12AY7. Lower gain than 12ax7 or 12at7 and better sounding than 12au7 in my opinion with the Ember.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #1,331 of 1,366
Recently got a Project Ember for nearly half price from another member and really loving it... will be letting go of the Gustard H10s I have and quite a few of my headphones because of it - the sound I'm getting from it is what I've been searching for since started this journey a few years back. Came with a Russian vintage 6SN7GT tube & adapter and JJ Electronic 12BH7-A tube.

Been using it at work with my Porta Pros and modded HD58X with laptop & DFR since getting it midweek... and have been brought to tears. Bring it home and connect it to my Gustard X20U DAC and it gets even better. I see lots of tubes in my future and much less headphones... I know what kind of sound I want from my headphones and which headphones I really like, and with the help of the Ember can get rid of at least half of my headphones. VERY happy with this amp and looking at getting a Project Polaris to compliment it and hopefully pair better with the DT-177X GO, which I really want to keep but tube amps seem to not be it's thing.

Oct 27, 2019 at 10:26 PM Post #1,333 of 1,366
This is probably covered in this thread somewhere but does anyone know a source for a high quality linear power supply to use with the Ember? According to Jeremy the Ember uses a 48V power supply.

Nov 15, 2019 at 6:10 PM Post #1,334 of 1,366
Save your $ vracer. That Russian Jungle tube that you got with the Ember is about as good as it gets, imo.

Koover found them and they kick @ss. I wasted a lot of $ before I got one.

The 6SN7 Russian tube is 'okay' but I actually prefer the JJ Electronic 12BH7-A to it. I use EQ along with the tube amp and prefer the cleaner, more detailed sound with better separation on the 12BH7-A.

I would have liked to save money but just had to know for sure on certain legendary held tubes...especially before supply is no longer available. Three NOS vintage ones just came in and trying to decide which one to try first:

i-v954WBH.jpg

MAZDA/Brimar 6CG7/6FQ7, Amperex 7308 gold pin, and Cifte 12AU7... not like any are going to loose much value, will only get more sought after when supply is gone. Will give each a listen for enough hours (logging time powered) to decide whether they are what I'm looking for, if any don't work for me will rebox and sell.

P.S. The Amperex 7308 is first up...very noticeable difference between the JJ Electronic 12BH7-A and it heard from first notes... noticeably clearer and more detailed with more mid emphasis. Great on darker headphones (my modded HD58X and Porta Pros) while prefer the 12BH7-A more on my brighter headphones (DT-177X GO and KSC75.)

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2019 at 3:50 AM Post #1,335 of 1,366
And what's better than a Project Ember? ... two of them!

i-Tf9D8m4.jpg

Just got in a second used unit that came with an electro-harmonix 6H30Pi tube ... price could not be passed up. Both Embers cost me less than a single brand new one would! So now I have one for work and one for home. I tell you what... this 6H30Pi tube it came with is pretty sweet sounding - really digging it! Anyone know the expected life from a 6H30Pi type tube? They aren't too expensive, so I'd be fine buying a couple more if they actually were on the lower end of the life scale for a tube...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back