Project Ember Review
Dec 27, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #136 of 1,366
  sorry mate, not as of yet, but ... perhaps. may is 5 months away, not sure how fast availability will arrive.

hey MaN227, do you work for garage1217? lol this might be a silly question, but will you guys be coming out w/ a project ember version 2? I'm probably not going to upgrade my equipment for a long time, so I can wait :) heh.

Dec 27, 2013 at 1:51 AM Post #137 of 1,366
  hey MaN227, do you work for garage1217? lol this might be a silly question, but will you guys be coming out w/ a project ember version 2? I'm probably not going to upgrade my equipment for a long time, so I can wait :) heh.

hehe no bro sorry, I do not. I am just an enthusiast of headphones and amps and the ember just happens to be one that I have interest in.

but to try and answer your question I feel it safe to assume there will be and ember v2, one need look no farther that sunrise II, and recent release of sunrise III.

to be 100% honest I'm VERY curious how their SS amp will turn out, and what the enclosures they will offer for currently released amps will be like and their cost.

upward and onward :)

Dec 30, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #139 of 1,366
So I picked this thing up about a month ago to step away from my E17. I have the ATH-AD2000 as my headkrones. Aside from the stock tube, the only one I was able to get that I was interested in was the Jan 5751. Weird thing is, I've been reading all day and apparently even those tubes still have a bit more gain than needed for the AD2000. One thing that immediately annoyed me was the "noise" I was getting and a few tricks did get rid of some of the noise, but it was obviously still there. I tried using the dac portion of my E17 after I bought some bluejeans cables (they are great btw) and it did improve a bit, but yeah. I've read this thread and a lot of people seem to be using the ODAC (which is one of the DACS I was in the market for), but I am interested in getting the Bifrost.

Does anyone have any experience with the Bifrost + Ember? I am still relatively new when it comes to audio. I read that as long as the source is great and transparent I should be fine. I'm also going to pick up some more tubes so I can do a lot more experimenting (I haven't been able to do much) as well as get some more headphones in the future. The reason I got the Ember in the first place is its ability to drive a number of headkrones and and change up the sound with tubes. I've enjoyed it so far.

Dec 30, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #141 of 1,366
I second that....get the 12AU7 tube.....set jumpers to low gain and 120R output resistance and it should be good for your AD2K.....the 5751 tube is a high mu tube in other word a high gain tube (good for planars).

Dec 30, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #142 of 1,366
A good site to check out is http://diyah.boards.net/ under ampifiers choose project ember, they have a lot of good and useful information on the site.  If you want to know more about tubes and suggestions check out the section called tubes/thermionic valves.  They are a helpful bunch and will give you good info. The last tube I purchased for my ember is Westinghouse 12au7/ECC82 black carbonized plates tube raised []-getter (181282688741)  and so far it is the best I have heard..  Good listening.  Also if you plan on doing some tube rolling get one of these, it makes it a lot easier to insert and remove the tube.  I brings the tube socket up thru the top about a half inch.  Will also make you board socket last longer and it has vibration damping.  I got mine here, good people to deal with.........http://www.tubemonger.com/NOVIB_Socket_Saver_with_Vibration_Red_B9A_NOVAL_p/novib.htm

Dec 30, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #143 of 1,366
Yeah when I first started out and did all my reading I was under the impression that the 5751 tubes are what I was supposed to be getting. I'm gonna go with 12AU7 series and some others. I can't even remember the sites that reviewed all the tubes I was interested in. I'm going to end up getting some high gain tubes down the road whenever I pick up my other headphones though, so the Jan 5751 isn't going to complete waste.

I'm going to check out your link connieflyer. Thanks guys.

Dec 31, 2013 at 4:19 AM Post #144 of 1,366
I second that....get the 12AU7 tube.....set jumpers to low gain and 120R output resistance and it should be good for your AD2K.....the 5751 tube is a high mu tube in other word a high gain tube (good for planars).

Strikethrough'd for correction; don't set the amp to 120 Ohm output resistance for the AD2K. Use the 0.1 Ohm setting instead. The 120 Ohm output resistance completely destroys the AD2K's sonic signature.

Jan 3, 2014 at 3:20 AM Post #150 of 1,366
I sent back the review-unit Project Ember today and have started writing the review. Will have it posted by 1/12.

Ok, that's what would be expected, although I find the effect on my Ember to be quite subtle. I guess you've tried the middle setting, 35 ohms?

Yup, I did try the 35 Ohm setting and would call that a subtle change from the 0.1 Ohm setting; the 120 Ohm setting on the other hand wasn't subtle though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back