Prog rock
Apr 19, 2018 at 7:32 AM Post #1,696 of 4,442
Listening to this right now in Tidal Hifi. Very good mastering, Steven Wilson knows what he is doing :).

Haven't listened to Brave in many years. I remember the brake with Fish, we often debated at the time who would come out as winners, Fish or Marillion or who would make the "best" music. Season's End and Holidays in Eden were both good records but with Brave the gap between Fish and Marillion were simply too big. Fish don't have the musical knowledge to make a record like Brave.

I still like Fish and will see him live in Copenhagen in the autumn but he's not Marillion :)

I think it goes both ways :) neither is Marillion what it used to be without Fish.
IMO, after the split we got a few good or very good albums from both sides for a while (Vigil, Internal Exile, Suits / Seasons's End, Holidays in Eden, Brave) then both sides slowly lost it...
Fish lost focus and direction and got old and bored and Marillion with Hogarth feels flat and uninteresting.
But this 4 albums : Script, Fugazi, Misplaced, Clutching, and even B-Sides are all masterpieces.
And yes, Brave is also a great album.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018 at 5:47 PM Post #1,699 of 4,442
Apr 20, 2018 at 5:48 PM Post #1,700 of 4,442
I think it goes both ways :) neither is Marillion what it used to be without Fish.
IMO, after the split we got a few good or very good albums from both sides for a while (Vigil, Internal Exile, Suits / Seasons's End, Holidays in Eden, Brave) then both sides slowly lost it...
Fish lost focus and direction and got old and bored and Marillion with Hogarth feels flat and uninteresting.
But this 4 albums : Script, Fugazi, Misplaced, Clutching, and even B-Sides are all masterpieces.

Well said. I can't get Misplaced Childhood out of my head (and it's been there for a long long time!)

Apr 21, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #1,701 of 4,442

How have I not come across this band yet? Hearing "Under the red cloud" for the first time right now. Lately, I've been following Nuclear Blast on YouTube but haven't had the patience to watch every video, given the number of bands I don't really connect with on their label. Here's a band I can get into. Thank you.

Apr 21, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #1,702 of 4,442
It is! Unfortunately the "growling" kinda ruins it for me though. I'd be happy if they were to get rid of that going foward.

I think I'm going to have to start an "eradicate the growling" movement lol. But I don't want to be a downer, so I'm going to refrain from commenting on it from now on.

You know what's weird, is that I find growling polarizing. Depending on the performer, I either love it, or can't stand it. There have been so many bands I just couldn't get into because of the cursory growling that seems to be par for the course in metal. Yet there have been others that I actually like and feel it adds to the music positively. One thing is certain...if there's only growling and no singing at all, that's a dealbreaker.

A part of me agrees with you. If I had my druthers, I'd eradicate it all. But then I think about how the growling really builds up the anticipation of the beautifully melodic vocals that come across during the chorus or bridge. So I think growling can convey a mood and create tension while being pretty "badass" at the same time.

I'm trying to find a common denominator as to why I like some growling styles but not others. I think when the growling becomes more like screaming, or is high pitched, that's when it turns me away. Here a few examples of bands I'm OK with the growling on:

Opeth
Epica
Amorphis (new to me - but so far so good)

Apr 22, 2018 at 3:05 AM Post #1,704 of 4,442

I don't think we disagree :) Marillion and Fish together was magic and agree all the albums were masterpieces, personally my favorite is still Script. It's not the best technically but it move me the most, difficult to explain, its just music when it's best!

But after the break, comparing Marillion and Fish, Marillion clearly has the lead in composing music without ever reaching the level they had with Fish. Brave is an excellent album, but it's not a masterpiece but probably the best they have made without Fish.

Apr 22, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #1,706 of 4,442
I don't think we disagree :) Marillion and Fish together was magic and agree all the albums were masterpieces, personally my favorite is still Script. It's not the best technically but it move me the most, difficult to explain, its just music when it's best!

But after the break, comparing Marillion and Fish, Marillion clearly has the lead in composing music without ever reaching the level they had with Fish. Brave is an excellent album, but it's not a masterpiece but probably the best they have made without Fish.

Totally agree, including my fondness for "Script...". After listening to it for so many times, every time when going back to it, the opening seems to bear a special and personal meaning: "So here I am once more / In the playground of the broken hearts".
But I love all the other 3 albums equally. They are like children, hard to love one more than other :)

And speaking of love here's some proof from a time when there were no internet and streaming.
Took them out from some back shelf to let them breath some fresh air :)

marillion.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #1,708 of 4,442
KopaneDePooj - thanks so much for posting that Malady album. I really dig the prog influences, instrumentation, and production. Top notch - def my fave of 2018 thus far.

First time post, so I figured I would share some albums/tracks that either aren't mentioned on the thread or are mentioned but just in passing. They're in order from "prog light" to "face melt". :L3000:

The list is all from YouTube - but I would prefer to use Spotify in the future. All good with that? I see both used but wasn't sure if there is a preference.

Field Music - Plumb (a few tracks)
- Crossover prog, heavy Beatles influence, this album is a wonderful concept album
-- other great albums are Measure and Commontime

Dutch Uncles - Out of Touch With the Wild (a few tracks)
- also a bit Crossover Prog, think "Math Pop", lots of classical minimalism influence (Reich, Glass, etc)
-- other great album is O Shudder

Ciccada - The Finest of Miracles (full album)
- Lots of old school prog influences (Tull, Gentle Giant) but totally unique and great orchestration and production. Fantastic female singer to boot. Listened to this through my Dad's Koss ESP950 ele

Wobbler - Rites at Dawn
- I know this band has been mentioned on here already, but I really prefer this album to their latest release.
-- Old school prog influences - heavy on the Yes

Mars Volta - Deloused
- Classic album - hard prog - wish these guys were still around. Also check out their second album "Frances the Mute"
-- I think the poster of this album on YouTube messed with it.

--On spotify

Pomegranate Tiger - Boundless
--THIS IS FACE-MELTING PROG METAL. Fav track = Masked Ball

Enjoy! If you have any recommendations related to these bands for other stuff to check out - please send them my way!:beerchug:

Apr 24, 2018 at 3:40 AM Post #1,709 of 4,442
KopaneDePooj - thanks so much for posting that Malady album. I really dig the prog influences, instrumentation, and production. Top notch - def my fave of 2018 thus far.

First time post, so I figured I would share some albums/tracks that either aren't mentioned on the thread or are mentioned but just in passing. They're in order from "prog light" to "face melt". :L3000:

The list is all from YouTube - but I would prefer to use Spotify in the future. All good with that? I see both used but wasn't sure if there is a preference.

You're welcome! Glad you like it. Also try Änglagård - Hybris (1992).
For sharing albums I try to use Bandcamp if available, because it is free streaming. I used Spotify only for albums that I couldn't find on Bandcamp. For single songs youtube is ok. But I guess you could use anything as long as the album is referenced, then everybody can search and use their preferred service.
Thanks for your recommendations!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back