Prog rock
Apr 5, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #1,683 of 4,432
Steven Wilson and Richard Barbieri performing Buying New Soul @ London Royal Albert Hall 03-29-2018

I'm not sure how that video was taken! The last time I was at a Steven Wilson concert, the "anti-recording device" gestapo were in full force lol

Apr 5, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #1,684 of 4,432
I'm not sure how that video was taken! The last time I was at a Steven Wilson concert, the "anti-recording device" gestapo were in full force lol
As far as I know, they recorded the last night for a DVD release. Assuming this might be part of it.

Apr 6, 2018 at 2:30 AM Post #1,686 of 4,432
Saw Steven Wilson in Copenhagen back in early March, and I got there early so I had front row placement, right in front of center stage.

Good concert, but the new drummer is just plain not good. He has no musical feel at all, doing high-hat and ride triplets in the middle of slow ballads. The guitarist was also completely uninteresting. I've been spoiled for so many years with Gavin Harrison and Marco Minnemann/Guthrie Govan that these guys, while competent at a base level, just sound musically dull.

I left before the encore, near the end of Sleep Together. Steven himself was very on-point, as was Nick Beggs, but that wasn't enough to make me want to stay and wait in line for my coat.

Apr 12, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #1,690 of 4,432
I'm digging the new Malady a lot. Some other stuff worth noting:

Merlin - The Wizard: This band is getting more interesting with every album, heavy psych with prog leanings. On Easter they reissued a remaster of 2014 album Christ Killer for FREE for a limited time via their Bandcamp page!

The Osiris Club - The Wine-Dark Sea:
Used to wear bird masks, are now mask-free, very electic, dark stuff

Messthetics – Messsthetics: Two members of Fugazi hook up with virtuoso jazz fusion guitarist.

https://themessthetics.bandcamp.com/

Sendelica - My House Is Made of Angel Hair:
Prolific UK psych prog, some electronic space/jam rock. I did rate Anima Mundi (2015), and had another album in my Bandcamp that I forgot to download. There's a lot to catch up in. Very long, quirky titles.

Apr 15, 2018 at 12:23 AM Post #1,691 of 4,432
here's a sleeper.... not mentioned yet on this thread. Top tier musicians (symphonic prog for sure) and crazy good writing. Circle of Illusion. The only release I can find is "Jeremias". Too bad they never followed it up with a new release! The recording quality is outstanding on this. It is listed on Tidal, so I imagine it's on spotify and apple music as well. Seriously worth the effort tracking down. Check the mix trailer:

Apr 15, 2018 at 12:41 AM Post #1,692 of 4,432
A.C.T.
tongue.gif
^^^^ yes, yes, yes. Their catalogue from "last epic" 2003 onward has been at the top of my playlist for several months. Up beat and pop-like at times, seriously hard prog at other times, such catchy and almost overly melodic jams. Somewhat mundane lyrics, very simplistic word-smithing. Outstanding recommendation. Surprised this hasn't been mentioned more. It's hard to find because of the name - here are albums in case folks want to search them down:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A.C.T#Studio_albums

easily one of my top 20 bands of all time - no exaggeration.

here's the tune that turned me on to them:

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #1,695 of 4,432
Marillion - Brave - 2018 Steven Wilson Remix

Listening to this right now in Tidal Hifi. Very good mastering, Steven Wilson knows what he is doing :).

Haven't listened to Brave in many years. I remember the brake with Fish, we often debated at the time who would come out as winners, Fish or Marillion or who would make the "best" music. Season's End and Holidays in Eden were both good records but with Brave the gap between Fish and Marillion were simply too big. Fish don't have the musical knowledge to make a record like Brave.

I still like Fish and will see him live in Copenhagen in the autumn but he's not Marillion :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back