Prog rock
Oct 26, 2017 at 10:18 PM Post #1,501 of 4,452
Huh. I'm really digging The Pineapple Thief right now. A lot. I guess it took me a while to grow into it, but 'Where we Stood' is about as good a live album as I've heard in a while.

Oh yeah. I'm doubling down on this one. The blu-ray is ordered...

Oct 26, 2017 at 11:37 PM Post #1,502 of 4,452
Oh yeah. I'm doubling down on this one. The blu-ray is ordered...

That was a great song, and they seem awesome. Cool - a new band discovery for me!

Oct 30, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #1,505 of 4,452
Huh. I'm really digging The Pineapple Thief right now. A lot. I guess it took me a while to grow into it, but 'Where we Stood' is about as good a live album as I've heard in a while.

Thank you for sharing. I gave them a try today and am really enjoying them so far.

Nov 16, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #1,510 of 4,452
I will. I have a broad music knowledge but my 'Prog' knowledge is restricted to the classics/standards: DSOTM, The Wall, 2112, Selling England by the Pound, Close to the Edge, Thick as a Brick.
GREAT START Just expanding on those 5 groups you've mentioned try the following

Pink floyd:
Meddle
Atom Heart Mother *
Ummagumma *
Animals

(*acquired taste but great)

Rush:
Farewell to Kings

Genesis:
Foxtrot
Nursery Cryme

Yes:
Fragile
The Yes Album

Jethro Tull:
Aqualung and everything else but not all is prog!

Then move on to Gentle Giant, King Crimson. Hatfield and the North, Caravan, Camel. Van der Graaf Generator (the litmus test for true Progrockfreaks>:) ) ELP etc to experience the true golden age.

Nov 16, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #1,511 of 4,452
To continue with that (EDIT mainly) early seventies vibe when British rock ruled the world get in addition to every Progressive Rock album of the time, everything recorded between 1969 and 1973 by the Who, Free, The Faces, Rolling Stones, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Atomic Rooster, Wishbone Ash, Mott the Hoople, Alex Harvey, Rory Gallagher (he was Irish I know but I don't care) etc etc.

Times never to be repeated

Oh and every folk rock and singer song writer album too (particularly Roy Harper, Nick Drake and John Martyn)

Phew:wink:

.....not to mention David Bowie, Roxy Music, Moody Blues. Procol Harum, Supertramp even Elton John and 10cc; the musical peak in rock. AIMHO

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #1,512 of 4,452
To continue with that (EDIT mainly) early seventies vibe when British rock ruled the world get in addition to every Progressive Rock album of the time, everything recorded between 1969 and 1973 by the Who, Free, The Faces, Rolling Stones, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Atomic Rooster, Wishbone Ash, Mott the Hoople, Alex Harvey, Rory Gallagher (he was Irish I know but I don't care) etc etc.

Times never to be repeated

Oh and every folk rock and singer song writer album too (particularly Roy Harper, Nick Drake and John Martyn)

Phew:wink:

.....not to mention David Bowie, Roxy Music, Moody Blues. Procol Harum, Supertramp even Elton John; the musical peak in rock. AIMHO
Brilliant post. Great advice!

Nov 21, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #1,515 of 4,452
What are your favorite prog rock bands? Mine are Porcupine Tree, Opeth, Neal Morse, Transatlantic, Spock's Beard, Pain of Salvation, Riverside, and Camel. Anyone have any recommendations as far as this genre goes in addition to the bands I listed?

I'm also a big progressive metal listener. Bands like Circus Maximus (they rule), Opeth, Dream Theater, Shadow Gallery, Amorphis, Ayreon, and sometimes stuff like Canvas Solaris.

Anyone have any similar tastes or even recommendations? There's just so much stuff in the progressive rock and metal genres. There's always these side projects. I can't even count how many side projects Mike Portnoy has done. I just love long, indulgent passages and the song structures that take you on a journey.

Hi I recently discovered I like progressive rock bands such as Pink Floyd, Asia, 10cc, Yes, Dream theatre, Peter Gabriel, Genesis, Paul Simon, Emerson, Palmer, lake. Styx, journey, etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back