Prog rock

Discussion in 'Music' started by warmen, Dec 12, 2006.
Tags:
First

Back
91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100
102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111
Next

Last
  1. swspiers
    Oh yeah. I'm doubling down on this one. The blu-ray is ordered...

YtseJamer likes this.
  2. waynes world
    That was a great song, and they seem awesome. Cool - a new band discovery for me!

3. YtseJamer

4. HungryPanda

KopaneDePooj likes this.
  5. fianbarr
    Thank you for sharing. I gave them a try today and am really enjoying them so far.

HungryPanda and swspiers like this.
  6. swspiers
    Oh good! That's why we're here. Stick around, and let us know what we're missing!

7. fianbarr
    I will. I have a broad music knowledge but my 'Prog' knowledge is restricted to the classics/standards: DSOTM, The Wall, 2112, Selling England by the Pound, Close to the Edge, Thick as a Brick.

swspiers likes this.
  8. HungryPanda
    I really like this modern prog band

swspiers likes this.
  9. ArronZacx
    YAAAAAAY!!!

Not sure how many prog power fans here but I absolutely love Seventh Wonder.

KopaneDePooj, YtseJamer and swspiers like this.
  10. god-bluff
    GREAT START Just expanding on those 5 groups you've mentioned try the following

Pink floyd:
    Meddle
    Atom Heart Mother *
    Ummagumma *
    Animals

(*acquired taste but great)

Rush:
    Farewell to Kings

Genesis:
    Foxtrot
    Nursery Cryme

Yes:
    Fragile
    The Yes Album

Jethro Tull:
    Aqualung and everything else but not all is prog!

Then move on to Gentle Giant, King Crimson. Hatfield and the North, Caravan, Camel. Van der Graaf Generator (the litmus test for true Progrockfreaks>:) ) ELP etc to experience the true golden age.

swspiers likes this.
  11. god-bluff
    To continue with that (EDIT mainly) early seventies vibe when British rock ruled the world get in addition to every Progressive Rock album of the time, everything recorded between 1969 and 1973 by the Who, Free, The Faces, Rolling Stones, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Atomic Rooster, Wishbone Ash, Mott the Hoople, Alex Harvey, Rory Gallagher (he was Irish I know but I don't care) etc etc.

Times never to be repeated

Oh and every folk rock and singer song writer album too (particularly Roy Harper, Nick Drake and John Martyn)

Phew:wink:

.....not to mention David Bowie, Roxy Music, Moody Blues. Procol Harum, Supertramp even Elton John and 10cc; the musical peak in rock. AIMHO

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  12. swspiers
    Brilliant post. Great advice!

god-bluff likes this.
  13. Rhydonia
    Love this! Any more suggestions for modern prog that incorporates classical instruments like flute and violin?

14. KopaneDePooj
    Not modern and never happened but I'd like to see this:
    Jean-Luc Ponty & Ian Anderson :sunglasses:

god-bluff likes this.
  15. roses77

Hi I recently discovered I like progressive rock bands such as Pink Floyd, Asia, 10cc, Yes, Dream theatre, Peter Gabriel, Genesis, Paul Simon, Emerson, Palmer, lake. Styx, journey, etc

First

Back
91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100
102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111
Next

Last