Prog rock
Nov 20, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #721 of 4,494
I never understood the Pearl jam love, and I lived through it. Their music to me felt simplistic and formulaic (including 10)

I liked Ten personally, but they were always my least favourite of the grunge bands at the time. Bands like Screaming Trees were much better IMO, but they received comparatively little press.

Nov 20, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #722 of 4,494
You reminisce about grunge, have either of you gave a listen to ANEKDOTEN? Best way I have ever heard them described is grunge prog. They started out as a King Crimson tribute band but their last three albums are certainly their own sound.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0GaUfJcM5cY

Nov 20, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #723 of 4,494
You reminisce about grunge, have either of you gave a listen to ANEKDOTEN? Best way I have ever heard them described is grunge prog. They started out as a King Crimson tribute band but their last three albums are certainly their own sound.

Oh my. I checked out 2 tunes, and all I can say is there isn't enough time in the day. Heaviness with a mellotron= heaven to me!!!

Nov 20, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #724 of 4,494

I haven't, but I like the sound of this! Will have to check 'em out.

Nov 20, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #725 of 4,494
Oh my. I checked out 2 tunes, and all I can say is there isn't enough time in the day. Heaviness with a mellotron= heaven to me!!!

Anakdoken's last album 'Until All The Ghosts Are Gone' in 2015 was the number 2 album on the top 100 albums on Progarchives.com last year. They lost out to Steven Wilson's 'Hand.Cannot.Erase'

Nov 20, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #726 of 4,494
I have been trying to get you guys on anekdoten for a long time now! They are incredible. Until all the ghost are gone is song writing at its finest!!

Nov 21, 2016 at 2:06 AM Post #728 of 4,494
I'm surprised this thread don't already know about Anekdoten. Since I've learned of so many new bands from this thread, let me try to reciprocate by skimming my own list: -

The Big Wreck, Toska, Karnivool, Night Sun, The Butterfly Effect, Cog, Fair To Midland, The Contortionist, In The Silence, Rishloo, Tesseract, Chevelle, Breaking Orbit, The Pineapple Thief, Pendragon, Plini, Sithu Aye, Widek, Adagio, Scale The Summit, Astra, Arena, IQ, Darkwater, Circus Maximus, Borealis, Pagan's Mind, Andromeda, Freak Kitchen, Spiral Architect, Redemption, Beardfish, Lost In Thought, Moon Safari, Frost*, It Bites, Disperse, Suspyre, Son of Aurelius, Feinstein, Unitopia, Blue Mammoth, Perfect Beings, Prisma, Subsignal, Until Rain, Kingcrow, Dreamscape, Anthriel, Constantine, Black Peaks, Soen, Tides Of Man, Comedy Of Errors, Vienna Circle, A.C.T., Sgt Project, Urban Nomad, Coma, Jinete Azul, Pomegranate Tiger, Shell From Oceanic, Stream of Passion, Ayreon, Renaissance, Mostly Autumn, Look Right Penny, Tuber, Magenta, Kaipa, Triumvirat, Mastermind, Curved Air

You might already know some of these but I haven't had time to properly organise my music list. Hope you find something you like within this mess
tongue.gif

Nov 21, 2016 at 8:03 PM Post #732 of 4,494
You sat that about every new album:p

I said 'Prog-Rock' album of the year :wink:

My 'Prog-Metal' of the year is probably Haken but I also like the new Katatonia and Fates Warning.

We are a hilarious breed, aren't we? The scary thing, is I totally understand that logic. LOL…

Nov 22, 2016 at 1:05 AM Post #735 of 4,494
You reminisce about grunge, have either of you gave a listen to ANEKDOTEN?

I particularly am impressed when a band can play their music live. I love the live ANEKDOTEN clips. It demonstrates that they are have talent and are not just creating studio music.  ANEKDOTEN's grunge/psychedelic tilt is a nice change for me. I tend to steer towards technically complicated music as well as fusion when it comes to my preferred Prog flavor...think Allan Holdsworth, Virgil Donati, Jaga Jazzist, and Animals As Leaders.  Being a musician myself, I prefer listening to instrumentals although there are many exceptions.  ANEKDOTEN's vocals are unique but not over-the-top.  I am open to many styles of progressive music, but I'm picky when it comes to vocals. Nothing turns me off quicker than vocals that are either subpar or flamboyant.

I'm a little surprised that I've never heard of them until stumbling upon this thread tonight. There are so many good bands out there, I shouldn't be surprised anymore when someone turns me onto something so musically satisfying.  Every time I think I've heard it all, something new finds it's way into my aural canals, and that's a good thing!  When I was 18, there was nothing more than Rush, Yes, Floyd, Tool, King Crimson, etc.  Thanks for disproving that notion yet again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back