Prog rock
Nov 17, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #691 of 4,573
I was disappointed with the direction of the new Riverside. What do you guys think?

@WraithApe: you should check it out and let us know what you think.

Nov 17, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #692 of 4,573
I was disappointed with the direction of the new Riverside. What do you guys think?

@WraithApe
: you should check it out and let us know what you think.

Of course with the death of their guitarist and the subsequent decision from the band to continue without a named guitarist in my opinion cuts the heart out of their sound. Yes, they say they will use session guitarist in the studio and on the road it is not the same as having a guitarist named to the band and involved in the writing process. Ask Genesis how well the loss of Steve Hackett impacted their sound.

Nov 17, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #693 of 4,573

@WraithApe: you should check it out and let us know what you think.

I don't know the band at all. Looking at Discogs it appears their new album is Ambient - I guess that will generally disappoint someone looking for Prog! I could check it out, but I trust your take on things @bavinck. What's Riverside's best album in your opinion? It'd be nice to have a point of comparison.

Nov 17, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #694 of 4,573
I don't know the band at all. Looking at Discogs it appears their new album is Ambient - I guess that will generally disappoint someone looking for Prog! I could check it out, but I trust your take on things @bavinck
. What's Riverside's best album in your opinion? It'd be nice to have a point of comparison.

I just recently discovered them myself with love fear and the time machine. I enjoy that one a fair amount and am looking into their back catalogue. Other guys here can help point you in the right direction. .

Nov 17, 2016 at 8:02 PM Post #695 of 4,573
I just recently discovered them myself with love fear and the time machine. I enjoy that one a fair amount and am looking into their back catalogue. Other guys here can help point you in the right direction. .

I own their entire catalog and there is not a mediocre album in the bunch. If you are looking for a sampler look at the live concept album 'Reality Dream'. A blend of their first three albums and to my knowledge the only live concept album ever. I hold Riverside with Porcupine Tree, Opeth, Big Big Train and echolyn among others as masters of modern progressive music.

Nov 17, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #696 of 4,573
By the way on the subject of Riverside, their bassist and vocalist, Mariusz Duda is releasing a new album tomorrow. Seems more rock oriented but I do not care I love his vocals and bass playing.

https://mellergolyzniakduda.bandcamp.com/releases

Nov 18, 2016 at 9:19 PM Post #699 of 4,573
You guys heard Hemina - Venus yet? Really enjoyed this one:

https://hemina.bandcamp.com/album/venus

Nov 18, 2016 at 10:23 PM Post #701 of 4,573
You should have mentioned they are opening for Caligula's Horse down under. I have Caligula's entire catalog so I have to check out Hemina. Thank you for the suggestion.

I didn't know that:) I have only heard their Bloom album, which I loved. I will have to look into their other albums. You're welcome and thank you for reminding me of Caligula's Horse!

Nov 18, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #702 of 4,573
I didn't know that:) I have only heard their Bloom album, which I loved. I will have to look into their other albums. You're welcome and thank you for reminding me of Caligula's Horse!

Another great Aussie prog metal band was Arcane. Unfortunately, they broke up at the end of last year. Interestingly, Arcane's drummer joined Caligula's Horse. The double album of Arcare 'Knowned/Learned' is a fricking masterpiece of progressive metal dare I say better than Haken.

Nov 18, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #703 of 4,573
Another great Aussie prog metal is Arcane. Unfortunately, they broke up at the end of last year. Interestingly, Arcane's drummer joined Caligula's Horse. The double album of Arcare 'Knowned/Learned' is a fricking masterpiece of progressive metal dare I say better than Haken.

Yes, I have that one and fully agree. I did not realize the close connection between all those bands, Makes sense, as their sounds are similar. Just fired up Known/Leanered, good reminder!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back