Prog rock
Nov 19, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #711 of 4,573
Because of the varied nature of progressive music, I almost always (an exception was Steven Wilson's 'Raven That Refused to Sing') find it impossible to say which is the best album of a given year so I will break it down by category.

Song of the year
Katmakanic's "God The Universe And Everything Else No One Really Cares About Pt. I" from 'DOT'

Progressive Metal
Katatonia 'Fall Of Hearts'

Symphonic
The Neal Morse Band 'Similitude Of A Dream'

Pastoral
Big Big Train 'Folklore'

Nov 19, 2016 at 8:37 PM Post #712 of 4,573
Doesn't really fit in the history of prog, but it does fit in the history of bavinck's love for rock. This album was a gem back in the day, and sounds amazing today through my current setup. People today have forgotten what these guys did for rock, and just got hung up on the personalities they didn't like. How Pearl Jam gets a vote for the Hall and not these guys just baffles me! Here's to memory lane and some incredible song writing:

Nov 20, 2016 at 5:03 AM Post #713 of 4,573
Doesn't really fit in the history of prog, but it does fit in the history of bavinck's love for rock. This album was a gem back in the day, and sounds amazing today through my current setup. People today have forgotten what these guys did for rock, and just got hung up on the personalities they didn't like. How Pearl Jam gets a vote for the Hall and not these guys just baffles me! Here's to memory lane and some incredible song writing:

Yeah I don't get that Hall of Fame thing either. Alice In Chains were better than either of 'em 
wink_face.gif

Nov 20, 2016 at 6:46 AM Post #714 of 4,573

Yeah I don't get that Hall of Fame thing either.

There's nothing to get, Hall of Fame is rubbish. Rock legends deserve better than to be mentioned in the same sentence with Hall of "Fame".

Quote:

Yeah I don't get that Hall of Fame thing either. Alice In Chains were better than either of 'em

*Gasp* How dare you!!!

Jokes aside, as much as I love Pearl Jam, of the successful grunge bands (AiC, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pumpkins), they were the least unique and I consider them more classic rock than grunge. Ten is one of my top 20 albums all time though. And while I like the song writing of Smashing Pumpkins, just can't get into their vocals. Alice In Chains is amazing though.

On a side note, out of curiosity (and a lil bit of anger), where does everyone here buy their albums. I used to use itunes but have recently started using bandcamp for those that are available there due to artist support. However, places like itunes and amazon have region restrictions, meaning I can't use amazon mp3 and a number of albums on itunes aren't available for me. I generally prefer digital over physical due to my listening preference and getting physical CDs would be too costly for me. I cannot believe that Ayreon isn't available in my country 
triportsad.gif

Nov 20, 2016 at 6:53 AM Post #715 of 4,573

There's nothing to get, Hall of Fame is rubbish. Rock legends deserve better than to be mentioned in the same sentence with Hall of "Fame".

*Gasp* How dare you!!!

Jokes aside, as much as I love Pearl Jam, of the successful grunge bands (AiC, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pumpkins), they were the least unique and I consider them more classic rock than grunge. Ten is one of my top 20 albums all time though. And while I like the song writing of Smashing Pumpkins, just can't get into their vocals. Alice In Chains is amazing though.

Oh, I know - it was just a chance for a cheap shot 
biggrin.gif
 I do agree that Ten was a bit of a classic though and I'm with you on Billy Corgan's vocals - nails on a blackboard.

On a side note, out of curiosity (and a lil bit of anger), where does everyone here buy their albums. I used to use itunes but have recently started using bandcamp for those that are available there due to artist support. However, places like itunes and amazon have region restrictions, meaning I can't use amazon mp3 and a number of albums on itunes aren't available for me. I generally prefer digital over physical due to my listening preference and getting physical CDs would be too costly for me. I cannot believe that Ayreon isn't available in my country 
triportsad.gif

I use Bandcamp mostly. Bleep and Boomkat are really good too, but primarily electronic music I think. I used to get CDs from Discogs Marketplace, but since I've run out of shelf space, I'm also tending to buy digital now.

Nov 20, 2016 at 7:57 AM Post #716 of 4,573
I've been strolling down memory lane the past few days. THIS tore my musical world up back in '91. These guys were simply 20 years ahead of their time. They got back together a few years ago, and are FINALLY getting the respect they deserve for Technical/Death/Progressive pioneers:

[VIDEO]https://youtu.be/mAwY0Cf_sRo[/VIDEO]

Nov 20, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #718 of 4,573
I've been strolling down memory lane the past few days. THIS tore my musical world up back in '91. These guys were simply 20 years ahead of their time. They got back together a few years ago, and are FINALLY getting the respect they deserve for Technical/Death/Progressive pioneers:

[VIDEO]https://youtu.be/mAwY0Cf_sRo[/VIDEO]

Never heard of them, I will check it out.

Nov 20, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #720 of 4,573
I never understood the Pearl jam love, and I lived through it. Their music to me felt simplistic and formulaic (including 10)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back