Prog rock
May 23, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #1,336 of 4,417
Just discovered this wonderful band

"Bent Knee is an American art rock band formed in Boston in 2009. The band performs in multiple genres and draws from multiple influences, including pop, industrial rock, metal, progressive rock, and avant-garde. The band is known for unpredictable dynamic contrast and the wide vocal range of singer Courtney Swain."
Provided by Wikipedia under Creative Commons Attribution CC-BY-SA 4.0

Last edited:
May 24, 2017 at 6:02 AM Post #1,337 of 4,417
One of my all-time favorite song and lyrics.

I saw the man at J.F.K.
He took your ticket yesterday
In the humdrum

I ride tandem with a random
Things don't run the way I planned them
In the humdrum

Hey Valentina, do you want me to beg?
You got me cooking I'm a hard boiled egg
In the humdrum

Empty my mind, I find it hard to cope
Listen to my heart, don't need no stethoscope

Seem to me that television
She come to cut me a deep incision
In the humdrum

Empty my mind, I find it hard to cope
Listen to my heart - don't need no stethoscope

Out of woman come the man
Spend the rest of his life gettin' back where he can
As a bow, so a dove
As below, so above
From the black hole
Come the tadpole
With the dark soul
In coal she burn, she burn

As I drove into the sun
Didn't dare look where I had begun
Lost among echoes of things not there
Watching the sound forming shapes in the air
From the white star
Came the bright scar
Our amoeba
My little liebe schoen

Songwriters: Peter Gabriel
Humdrum lyrics
a9.png
© Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC

May 25, 2017 at 8:52 AM Post #1,338 of 4,417
New album recommendation - melodic prog with a Yes vibe.

Rikard Sjöblom's Gungfly - On Her Journey to the Sun

636244753370124720.jpg

May 25, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #1,339 of 4,417
This new UK band has a couple nice singles out, and their debut is due Aug 4. Psych prog with bits of electronics (Boards of Canada), Tame Impala, Live At Pompeii Floyd.

May 30, 2017 at 7:34 PM Post #1,340 of 4,417
IMG_4273.JPG
The Neal Morse Band just released a 48/24 master of last year's masterpiece 'The Similitude of a Dream'. I agree with a lot of reviews that is one of the greatest progressive albums in the last decade. I owed the 16/48 from last year and the new master is nothing short of fantastic. A recording to match the music.

Here is the email I recieved yesterday from Radiant Records:

This is the ultimate! The Neal Morse Band's prog concept album of the decade in the most high end possible audio format! The entire THE SIMILITUDE OF A DREAM presented in 48k/24bit download. Also included are the single edits and mixes of "City of Destruction," "So Far Gone," and "The Man in the Iron Cage." Download beginning Tuesday, May 30th at radiantrecords.com!

Last edited:
May 30, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #1,341 of 4,417
interesting choices on this thread, mostly a little heavy for me. So peculiar but i was a big prog rock fan when prog rock was prog rock. Since then i feel that it has influenced so many genres from electronic, to down tempo, to jazz that my interests have gone else wear. you can hear prog rock everywhere, just not on the radio.

May 30, 2017 at 8:01 PM Post #1,342 of 4,417
interesting choices on this thread, mostly a little heavy for me. So peculiar but i was a big prog rock fan when prog rock was prog rock. Since then i feel that it has influenced so many genres from electronic, to down tempo, to jazz that my interests have gone else wear. you can hear prog rock everywhere, just not on the radio.

I would agree with you to a point but in no other genre are you going to hear an album like 'The Similitude of a Dream' an almost 2 hour concept album just to name one album. I too was a huge progressive fan back in the 70's but today's progressive music is as good and in some cases better than the classic era (other than Genesis :)). Today there is progressive metal like Opeth, Dream Theater and Porcupine Tree that was almost entirely absent from the classic era unless you consider Rush.

I felt like you about progressive rock but about 10 years ago my progressive mentor convinced me to give the new bands a chance and I have never looked back.

May 31, 2017 at 12:41 AM Post #1,343 of 4,417
The Neal Morse Band just released a 48/24 master of last year's masterpiece 'The Similitude of a Dream'. I agree with a lot of reviews that is one of the greatest progressive albums in the last decade. I owed the 16/48 from last year and the new master is nothing short of fantastic. A recording to match the music.

Here is the email I recieved yesterday from Radiance Records:

This is the ultimate! The Neal Morse Band's prog concept album of the decade in the most high end possible audio format! The entire THE SIMILITUDE OF A DREAM presented in 48k/24bit download. Also included are the single edits and mixes of "City of Destruction," "So Far Gone," and "The Man in the Iron Cage." Download beginning Tuesday, May 30th at radiantrecords.com!
I agree! I downloaded the 24/48 Master today and it sounds incredible. A big improvement over the 16/44 Master. Great Neal Morse album too! $24.99 from Radiant Records site. Between this and the new Elder album I am set for a bit :smile_phones:

Jun 2, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #1,344 of 4,417
SW released a second song from the new album today - Same Asylum as Before. Now on TIDAL and YouTube. After 3 listens I love it! Definitely pop prog. Sounds like it could have been on Blackfield I or II. Incredibly catchy chorus.

Jun 2, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #1,345 of 4,417
SW released a second song from the new album today - Same Asylum as Before. Now on TIDAL and YouTube. After 3 listens I love it! Definitely pop prog. Sounds like it could have been on Blackfield I or II. Incredibly catchy chorus.

Is that allegedly Steven Wilson's voice, has he been castrated or is it just pure auto tune. RIP Steven Wilson.

Jun 2, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #1,347 of 4,417
Doesn't sound like Wilson's singing is significantly different from many of his other projects.

Jun 2, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #1,348 of 4,417
New Vuur song (Anneke Van Giersbergen's new band)

Love Anneke!!! Her stuff with DTP is among my favorite music. I was listening to Epicloud as I read your post :)

Jun 2, 2017 at 6:55 PM Post #1,349 of 4,417
Got the new Roger Waters' today. Brilliant stuff. Excessive use of the F word maybe but great to see he's still got plenty of anger and angst for a septuagenerian; sorely missing from 'Floyd' and Gilmore's recent stuff. Still a little too American accent in some of the singing but plenty of bits of Englishness in there ( shipping forecast, talking clock Etc). Fantastic orchestration and inventiveness. Plenty of nods to the Wall and Animals

Sounds and voices seemingly coming from out of the room that scare the life out of you as you're relaxing in bed. A really great work by a genius IMO. Mr Pink Floyd

Got to be best Floyd related release for a quarter of a century at least

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back