Prog rock
May 5, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #1,306 of 4,452
May 5, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #1,307 of 4,452
Let me add my praise for the new Big Big Train album 'Grimspound'. While I like last year's 'Folklore' as much I must say the flow on 'Grimspound' is better. It sounds like one continuous song.

It is hard to argue that Big Big Train is at the apex of all progressive music and bands right now. In the past 12 months they have released 'From Stone and Steel', 'Folklore', a superb remaster of 'English Electric', 'A Stone's Throw from the Line' and now 'Grimspound'. One outstanding release after another.

May 5, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #1,308 of 4,452
@Fastnbulbous
Listened to Wolf People - Ruins
What a haunting sound... On the first songs the heavy distort was a bit difficult to digest but once you get it, it works well. "Kingfisher" and "Salts Mill" are excellent!
This album made me want to rewatch Pink Floyd At Pompeii.

Syd Arthur sounds very good too!
More like these please :)

Last edited:
May 5, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #1,309 of 4,452
Glad you like! The previous Wolf People and Syd Arthur albums are recommended too! Syd Arthur toured North America with Yes a couple years ago. They only played a couple dates last year, but I got to see them at Riot Fest. Still waiting for Wolf People to come back.

Hypnos 69 are no more but have a few great albums.

Norway's Spirits Of The Dead will be coming out with their fourth album this year.

https://listen.tidal.com/album/35103125

May 6, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #1,310 of 4,452
Another Norwegian band, I'm sure some folks here are familiar, the mighty Motorpsycho. This album just edges out Heavy Metal Fruit as my favorite, just a sprawling, massive achievement. Another band I've been wanting to see live for over 20 years.

https://listen.tidal.com/album/13565488

May 6, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #1,311 of 4,452
I should mention some of the roots of these bands I've been talking about. Back in November 2009, Rise Above label owner Lee Dorrian wrote a guest article for the “150 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die” issue of Classic Rock Magazine, called "Prog Psych: The Great Lost Albums of British Rock, 1968-72." He wrote about 20 albums that inhabited what was special about the transition from 60s psychedelic rock to 70s progressive.

He talked about the growing popularity of digging into previously forgotten albums, some being reissued by small labels. Many of the albums were ironically originally issued on major labels, but were not marketed well:

"So why this sudden interest? Has rock music gone so far that it doesn't know where to go next and needs to look back? There is certainly a timeless aura of freedom within the grooves of a these records that, on reflection, suggests they were made in truly exciting times. Just imagine a modern heavy metal band forming and having the balls, let alone the notion, to call themselves Fuzzy Duck? They would, of course, be absolutely ridiculed. In that respect there's an element of envy from listeners and musicians today who weren't around to experience a time when this kind of off-the-wall freedom of expression was almost as commonplace as it was acceptable...

The period of music of most interest to a number of people is the 'grey area' which occurred toward the tail-end of the 60s and continued into the beginning of the 70s. The term 'prog psych' has become synonymous with describing a multitude of bands from that era, mainly because they are neither overtly psychedelic nor full-blown progressive rock. For the purpose of this particular feature we're going to look at 20 albums released between those golden years of 1968 and 1972.

There are several areas and genres of music that records referred to as prog psych generally fall into: rock, folk, occasionally jazz and often a combination of all three. The main thing that ties these records together is that they are all considered to be underground records of the time. The purpose of this article is not necessarily to define, or even fully understand the term; that would take away an essential part of what makes its mystery and magic so alluring.

There are obviously more significant and better-known releases from this period that have had a greater influence on the history of music. The list of albums here is intended to be a selection of unique records that in many ways bridge the gap between what is considered psychedelic and progressive rock."​

Off and on since 2009 I've been researching and listening to other candidates for this gray area, which I prefer to flip and call psych prog, as it better represents the flow from 60s psychedelic rock/pop to 70s progressive rock, folk and a bit of proto-metal.

Some of the bands of Dorrian's Rise Above roster reflect these interests. For example, Blood Ceremony, who I first saw open for influential denomic Dutch psych proggers The Devil's Blood before they broke up, and who headlined one of the nights at last year's Roadburn Festival, which Dorrian curated. I also just received my CD of Galley Beggar - Heathen Hymns (Rise Above) yesterday, which is more folk psych. Other psych prog bands include Dungen, Jess And The Ancient Ones, Baron, Messenger, Knifeworld, Fuzz Manta, Amplifier, Mondo Drag.

https://listen.tidal.com/artist/3686893

https://listen.tidal.com/album/36704139

Hidden Masters – Of This & Other Worlds (Rise Above/Metal Blade, 2013)
Blood Ceremony – Lord Of Misrule (Rise Above, 2016)
Purson – Desire's Magic Theatre (Spinefarm, 2016)
Blood Ceremony – The Eldritch Dark (Rise Above/Metal Blade, 2013)
Purson – The Circle And The Blue Door (Rise Above, 2013)

May 6, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #1,312 of 4,452
This is some progressive rock from the part of the world where I live...

Kaukasus

A band that consists of three Swedish / Norwegian experienced musicians who have played in bands like Jaga Jazzist and White Willow.

They do a great job of defining their own sound image - which can be described as dark progressive rock with electronic elements. Lift The Memory is reminiscent of eighties epic rock. I like the vocal, which gives a moodful depth to the music, and it is impressive that the debut album where this song is taken from was written and recorded in just two short weeks.

Marius Solheim

This is progressive power metal from a Sci-Fi influenced opera project, and comparable to, among other things, Ayreon. Marius stands for song writing, the instrumental parts and mixing, while different vocalists interpret the different roles. It's a very good debut.

Dan Johansen

This is a solo performance by guitarist and producer Dan Johansen.

The music is largely based on guitar-based progressive power metal and heavy metal, with strong influence from computer game music.

May 6, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #1,313 of 4,452
Assimilate

Melodic prog power with slightly harder melodeath parties.

Seven Impale

The music is anchored in the 70's, with jazz and noisock items.

Tussmørke

This can be described as dark folk, with a lot of zeuhl and krautrock and various metal styles. Influenced by Jethro Tull.

D’AccorD

This music is mostly within classical American and English rock.

May 7, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #1,314 of 4,452
I should mention some of the roots of these bands I've been talking about. Back in November 2009, Rise Above label owner Lee Dorrian wrote a guest article for the “150 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die” issue of Classic Rock Magazine, called "Prog Psych: The Great Lost Albums of British Rock, 1968-72." He wrote about 20 albums that inhabited what was special about the transition from 60s psychedelic rock to 70s progressive.

He talked about the growing popularity of digging into previously forgotten albums, some being reissued by small labels. Many of the albums were ironically originally issued on major labels, but were not marketed well:

"So why this sudden interest? Has rock music gone so far that it doesn't know where to go next and needs to look back? There is certainly a timeless aura of freedom within the grooves of a these records that, on reflection, suggests they were made in truly exciting times. Just imagine a modern heavy metal band forming and having the balls, let alone the notion, to call themselves Fuzzy Duck? They would, of course, be absolutely ridiculed. In that respect there's an element of envy from listeners and musicians today who weren't around to experience a time when this kind of off-the-wall freedom of expression was almost as commonplace as it was acceptable...

The period of music of most interest to a number of people is the 'grey area' which occurred toward the tail-end of the 60s and continued into the beginning of the 70s. The term 'prog psych' has become synonymous with describing a multitude of bands from that era, mainly because they are neither overtly psychedelic nor full-blown progressive rock. For the purpose of this particular feature we're going to look at 20 albums released between those golden years of 1968 and 1972.

There are several areas and genres of music that records referred to as prog psych generally fall into: rock, folk, occasionally jazz and often a combination of all three. The main thing that ties these records together is that they are all considered to be underground records of the time. The purpose of this article is not necessarily to define, or even fully understand the term; that would take away an essential part of what makes its mystery and magic so alluring.

There are obviously more significant and better-known releases from this period that have had a greater influence on the history of music. The list of albums here is intended to be a selection of unique records that in many ways bridge the gap between what is considered psychedelic and progressive rock."​

Off and on since 2009 I've been researching and listening to other candidates for this gray area, which I prefer to flip and call psych prog, as it better represents the flow from 60s psychedelic rock/pop to 70s progressive rock, folk and a bit of proto-metal.

Some of the bands of Dorrian's Rise Above roster reflect these interests. For example, Blood Ceremony, who I first saw open for influential denomic Dutch psych proggers The Devil's Blood before they broke up, and who headlined one of the nights at last year's Roadburn Festival, which Dorrian curated. I also just received my CD of Galley Beggar - Heathen Hymns (Rise Above) yesterday, which is more folk psych. Other psych prog bands include Dungen, Jess And The Ancient Ones, Baron, Messenger, Knifeworld, Fuzz Manta, Amplifier, Mondo Drag.

https://listen.tidal.com/artist/3686893

https://listen.tidal.com/album/36704139

Hidden Masters – Of This & Other Worlds (Rise Above/Metal Blade, 2013)
Blood Ceremony – Lord Of Misrule (Rise Above, 2016)
Purson – Desire's Magic Theatre (Spinefarm, 2016)
Blood Ceremony – The Eldritch Dark (Rise Above/Metal Blade, 2013)
Purson – The Circle And The Blue Door (Rise Above, 2013)

1) Thank-you for mentioning Lee Dorian in such a respectful way. That man has as much to do with keeping my favorite music alive as anyone on the planet. He has never gotten the respect he deserved.

2) Blood Ceremony! In a prog thread. +1 for that one.

3) Thank you for introducing me to a band I have taken an instant dislike towards. Hidden Masters sounds like nothing more to me than re-cycled Kinks, with a dose of pretentiousness added for good measure. Oh well, if I liked everything I'd watch American Idol... :)

May 7, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #1,315 of 4,452
Oh man! The Kinks is way off! But to be fair yes, Hidden Masters are the least proggy of the bunch. More like a muscular Dukes Of Stratosphear, with the musicianship on the level of Cream. But there is some prog in there. All the changes in the first track, "She Broke The Clock Of The Long Now," I can't get enough. I love the Kinks, but do not hear much of them in there.

May 8, 2017 at 11:38 PM Post #1,317 of 4,452
What a beautiful song. LOVE!!!! It's going to be a long wait until Nov!

May 9, 2017 at 5:49 AM Post #1,318 of 4,452
Yes, well done. I love how he plays with sound intensity and the crescendo at 3:20.
But I'd like to see a lighter tone and thematic from Steven. I'm tired of all the drama. I wonder If he'll ever do a lighter album with all the musicality and sound intricacies minus the depression. I don't care if it would be called "commercial". I think he won't ever do it...

Last edited:
May 9, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #1,319 of 4,452
New Steven Wilson

It looks like I will be in the minority but the new Steven Wilson album is such a sell out to pop. Wilson is skipping 'And Then There Was Three' and 'Duke' and going straight to 'Abacab' (classic Genesis era). I now understand why the founder of XTC was brought on board for this album to bring a pop sound. "Pariah" is a nice 4 minute duet love ballad but do not even think this is in any way progressive.

I do not blame Wilson as he has toiled over 20 years in progressive greatness but no real commercial success. I hope the new album is a huge success. Steven Wilson will remain one of the greatest modern progressive artists.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back