Prog rock
Apr 30, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #1,291 of 4,464
No Devin Townsend kills Theatre Equation for me! I'd much rather just listen to the studio version as I am a huge Hevy Devy fan. Another reason why I like HE better than the new one also is due to the inclusion of Devy on HE. Nice to have LaBrie on both though and I love Karevik's singing on The Source. It is much better than the last few Ayreon releases so great to see Arjen back to form!

May 1, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #1,292 of 4,464
I'm really impressed with Lonely Robot. It's still a bit hard for me to get passed the name of the project, but those are two extremely solid recordings!

Not time to get to the new Ayreon this weekend, though. Next weekend- for sure!

May 1, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #1,293 of 4,464
+1! I am really enjoying Lonely Robot. I was only exposed to them last week thanks to this thread and now have 2 great releases to digest. Tremendous week for prog releases last week with Ayreon, Lonely Robot and Big Big Train :)

May 1, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #1,294 of 4,464
No kidding. I've got written finals this week, then my oral boards, and I'm DONE with school. Then I can catch up on 2016, and maybe last week as well...

May 4, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #1,296 of 4,464
About latest releases:

I really like "Big Big Train - Grimspound" for its calm mood and great musicality, it made me go back and re-listen to "Folklore" because I didn't give it a proper listen back when it was released. I liked it more this time... I'm now listening to their 1st album "Goobye to the Age of Steam" - same pleasant sound. A sound that works also as background work music, smooth and calm but with enough things going on as to not get boring, never busy or distracting. I also remember liking "English Electric" but now I'm gonna check all their albums :) Great music for the month of May :)

"Lonely Robot - The Big Dream" - also liked it. At times It has a taste of Wilson meets Blackfield but lighter, without the drama and depressing minor scale and mood. "Sigma" can be a radio-hit :)

"Ayreon - The Source" ... dunno, this one didn't get to me. They try to do everything, and too much on a single album, just because they can. And ultimately end up being like a very busy kitschy work of "art". I heard Muse on "Everybody Dies", then a concoction of vocalists and styles ranging from arena rock to opera, garnished with folky flutes, middle eastern sound and every possible classic rock style from Dio to Deep Purple in between. Too long and too busy for me. Or maybe I just wasn't in the mood for it. Also it's back-bone being power-metal it's not exactly my style.

Later:
Well, listened to it again today, I was too harsh, it's not that bad, I guess I was too tired on the 1st listen.

Last edited:
May 4, 2017 at 2:41 PM Post #1,297 of 4,464
My last finals, probably forever, are now done. Tonight I give final exams as a teacher.

I predict a lot of head phone time this weekend!!!

Ayreon for sure. If my brain isn't too mushy for it...:gs1000smile:

May 4, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #1,299 of 4,464
Feels like an add-based site now. I feel dirty on here...

I had to switch to "mobile" mode to get rid of the ads. But there are of course other issues with "mobile" mode.

May 5, 2017 at 1:17 AM Post #1,301 of 4,464
May 5, 2017 at 4:26 AM Post #1,302 of 4,464
@KopaneDePooj Dunno why, I've never gotten into Big Big Train, ought to have a proper re-listen someday.
If I had more time for Lonely Robot and the new Ayreon, perhaps this weekend!

I wasn't a big fan either, but this time I liked it. It just flows very well. It was confirmed to me many times that the mood you're in matters a lot when you first listen to a new album. This time I liked BBT. Who knows, maybe next month I will like Ayreon a bit more :)

May 5, 2017 at 4:30 AM Post #1,303 of 4,464

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back