Prog rock
Apr 13, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #1,231 of 4,529

Animals as Leaders - Soraya
For those of you who like complicated time signatures punctuated by nice melodies, give this a listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFR4CLF2XnA

Animals As Leaders seems to be my third most listened artist since I started scrobbling to last.fm back in 2009.
Tosin Abasi is a wizard.
I don't know why, but their self-titled first album didn't click as much their second, and third. Still on the verge of their fourth and latest, perhaps on it they seem to emphasize technical ability over emotion, YMMV of course.
Weightless > The Joy of Motion > The Madness Of Many > Animals As Leaders.

AAS would be on the top of my list for discovering djent for certain!
Which got me thinking some similarities - how about this:

Stick Men - Hands parts 1-3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgw4zur_aZw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixWKAiBojJ4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjh0fea8e_0
(start with pt. 1, and the YouTubes autoplay should sort you out, listen to pt. 3 if you only have time for one song.)

Djenty, but not quite - its-a prog!
And yeah, Tony Levin is a wizard too. Wouldn't mind seeing Abasi and Levin in the same group. At all.

I'll have to give these bands a listen. I completely agree with your assessment of AAL. - Very technical, very cerebral, and mostly lacking in heart felt compositions. There are however a few gems on each of their albums. Too bad they seem to be running a race. Their music is highly structured with little room for allowing their compositions to develope and unfold naturally. Let's face it, being a good song writer has little to do with technical prowess.

Apr 13, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #1,232 of 4,529
First of all, my apologies if anyone posted this band before. I must have missed it. Otherwise, this is amazing stuff, and possibly a new bass reference. I haven't listened to it on headphones yet. But- I might need new subs. And I just calibrated with anti-mode. But this is totally...awesome! Extreme sub-bass as well.

[VIDEO]https://youtu.be/NruViFNBe8E[/VIDEO]

Apr 14, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #1,234 of 4,529
This album popped today into my streaming app recommendations. And I'm very glad it did :)
Not easy to label it to a particular genre... Maybe progressive synth-pop?
Sounds like Depeche Mode and NIN had met and gone prog :)
Anyways, a fresh take on creative experimental music by a band that formerly played black metal.

Ulver  - The Assassination of Julius Caesar (April 2017)

Here are the first two tracks, but please get / listen to the entire album. It's worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq0Kb4bFNzg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJR1gqS6Afg

Ulver are a Norwegian experimental musical collective founded in 1993, by vocalist Kristoffer Rygg. Their early works, such as debut album Bergtatt, were categorised as folklore-influenced black metal, but have since evolved a fluid and increasingly eclectic musical style, blending genres such as rock, electronica, symphonic and chamber traditions, noise, progressive and experimental music into their oeuvre. 1997 marked their international debut with the release of their third album Nattens madrigal through German label Century Media. However, following discord with the label, Kristoffer Rygg formed his own imprint Jester Records in 1998. British composer and multi-instrumentalist Daniel O'Sullivan joined the collective in 2009, and the band performed some of their first live concerts in their 15-year lifespan, including the prestigious Norwegian National Opera.
Provided by Wikipedia under Creative Commons Attribution CC-BY-SA 4.0

Video Review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TggejZ_F25w

Apr 14, 2017 at 8:08 PM Post #1,235 of 4,529
Well my progressive friends I just received the new 2017 supposed remaster of Porcupine Tree's 'Fear of a Blank Planet'.

The new FOABP is more compressed with a bit less clarity than the 24/48 digital download from Burning Shed. Save your money as I just bought a $13 coaster. C'est la vie.

Apr 15, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #1,236 of 4,529
Hello all, I have been a lurker here for a while and the albums some of you have come up with is amazing! But just to throw in my two pence worth, some I definitely do not catagorize as Prog-Rock, just no way! This is in my own opinion by the way, for me some of the heavy and grungy thrash type of stuff, just doesn't come under prog-rock. But everyone to their own! I have listened to quite a few recommendations, one or two, maybe even three have started out as what I would expect to be P-R only to turn into grunge or whatever you call the growling noises. Saying that, I have listened to one in particular that I do find very entertaining, "Insomnium" I think it was, quite good! Though I be a lurker, I have not been able to read the whole thread and so far I have not seen anyone mention IQ, nor Ozric Tentagles! Now if some of the growling comes under prog-rock, to me so must Ozric Tentagles, they have so much music going on that you just cannot leave them out. And as for IQ, well I am ashamed that it has taken me this long to find them, up until last year I had not even heard of them, now I class them alongside the likes of Genesis, Pink Floyd or The Who, but again, my own opinion. Keep up the fabulous albums, I need to add to my music collection and I find it hard to know what to go looking for. And a big thank you for all the suggestions, you all have cost me a fortune lately! PS; don't forget Nightwish, Seventh Wave, Triumvirat and a recent favourite, anything to do with Ayreon.

Apr 15, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #1,237 of 4,529
First of all, my apologies if anyone posted this band before. I must have missed it. Otherwise, this is amazing stuff, and possibly a new bass reference. I haven't listened to it on headphones yet. But- I might need new subs. And I just calibrated with anti-mode. But this is totally...awesome! Extreme sub-bass as well.

[VIDEO]https://youtu.be/NruViFNBe8E[/VIDEO]

I like it.

Apr 15, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #1,238 of 4,529
Hello all, I have been a lurker here for a while and the albums some of you have come up with is amazing! But just to throw in my two pence worth, some I definitely do not catagorize as Prog-Rock, just no way! This is in my own opinion by the way, for me some of the heavy and grungy thrash type of stuff, just doesn't come under prog-rock. But everyone to their own! I have listened to quite a few recommendations, one or two, maybe even three have started out as what I would expect to be P-R only to turn into grunge or whatever you call the growling noises. Saying that, I have listened to one in particular that I do find very entertaining, "Insomnium" I think it was, quite good! Though I be a lurker, I have not been able to read the whole thread and so far I have not seen anyone mention IQ, nor Ozric Tentagles! Now if some of the growling comes under prog-rock, to me so must Ozric Tentagles, they have so much music going on that you just cannot leave them out. And as for IQ, well I am ashamed that it has taken me this long to find them, up until last year I had not even heard of them, now I class them alongside the likes of Genesis, Pink Floyd or The Who, but again, my own opinion. Keep up the fabulous albums, I need to add to my music collection and I find it hard to know what to go looking for. And a big thank you for all the suggestions, you all have cost me a fortune lately! PS; don't forget Nightwish, Seventh Wave, Triumvirat and a recent favourite, anything to do with Ayreon.

Welcome. I agree IQ is excellent. I would classify Insomnium as black/death metal and nightwish as gothic/power metal. Imo of course.

Apr 15, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #1,240 of 4,529

Welcome. I agree IQ is excellent. I would classify Insomnium as black/death metal and nightwish as gothic/power metal. Imo of course.

The thing is, Insomnium is so beyond typical black/death that I personally consider them progressive metal. "Winters Gate" is the most amazing work I've heard so far this century, and no- I'm not just being hyperbolic when I write that. Yes- it's "Melodic Death Metal" or whatever the current buzz-word is for the genre.

But in 40 years of listening to Prog and Metal, I can honestly say I've never heard any work more transcendent, more captivating, or more engrossing than that album. It's a masterpiece, and if it's not "progressive", then I have no idea what the term means.

But that's just for me...

Apr 15, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #1,241 of 4,529
I can get behind defining winters gate as prog metal. Shadow of a dying sun, though, I think is pretty firmly still in a melodeath tradition. Imo, of course:)

Apr 15, 2017 at 11:43 PM Post #1,242 of 4,529
I can get behind defining winters gate as prog metal. Shadow of a dying sun, though, I think is pretty firmly still in a melodeath tradition. Imo, of course:)
dude, I could not agree more. Shadow was a great album, but it's not progressive. Killer death metal though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back