Prog rock
Apr 18, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #1,247 of 4,480
Apr 18, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #1,248 of 4,480
Really interesting list. I took a quick glance at the top 10, saw 'Blackwater Park" in there, and thought "wow, this is a credible list". But Metropolis over Anesthetize...?

Thanks for this!!!

Blackwater Park as a prog song??? Not for me. It is an amazing song though.

Apr 18, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #1,249 of 4,480
Really interesting list. I took a quick glance at the top 10, saw 'Blackwater Park" in there, and thought "wow, this is a credible list". But Metropolis over Anesthetize...?

Thanks for this!!!

Blackwater Park as a prog song??? Not for me. It is an amazing song though.

Darn right it's Prog! It moved metal forward.

But, old friend, I do get your point of view. But I think Steve Wilson put it best when he suggested that if Progressive keeps following the old blueprint, it ceases to be progressive and becomes regressive.

Big Big Train is awesome, but they spend a lot of time saluting Gentle Giant, Genesis and the like. Opeth took heavy music WAY beyond anywhere it had gone before. It "progressed". But man, one really does have to expand the definition of Prog to fit it in there, to be sure.

Apr 18, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #1,250 of 4,480
Darn right it's Prog! It moved metal forward.

But, old friend, I do get your point of view. But I think Steve Wilson put it best when he suggested that if Progressive keeps following the old blueprint, it ceases to be progressive and becomes regressive.

Big Big Train is awesome, but they spend a lot of time saluting Gentle Giant, Genesis and the like. Opeth took heavy music WAY beyond anywhere it had gone before. It "progressed". But man, one really does have to expand the definition of Prog to fit it in there, to be sure.

Ya ok, I see where you are coming from. Yes, I agree Opeth was progressive for Metal.

Apr 18, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #1,251 of 4,480

I will not quibble with the list as the author of it has no idea what progressive music is.

I cannot name 10 songs in my entire music library which is exclusively progressive. I do not listen to songs, I listen to albums. Even non concept progressive albums have a character and flow. A good example from the list is Transatlantic. The members of Transatlantic consider 'The Whirlwind' their magnum opus and I would agree but it is a 87 minute concept album made up of 12 songs.

Again, the author of the list clearly has no idea about progressive music as most of the songs have to be listened to in the context of the album not in isolation.

p.s. My two cents 'Blackwater Park' is a monumental achievement in progressive metal.

Apr 18, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #1,252 of 4,480
WOW Tool is in the list...
Not quite sure it belongs there.

Apr 18, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #1,254 of 4,480
I would say that Tool is more rooted in metal and psychedelic rock than anything else, even then I would put describe them as something unique, just rock/metal but guess that's just me.

Apr 18, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #1,255 of 4,480
Why not? When I first heard it, I thought it was the best King Crimson album I'd heard in 10 years
smily_headphones1.gif

You could suggest that Tool kind of led Crimson into doing albums like Thrak. Thus them touring together. Now, I doubt you could get Fripp to suggest that. But I might.

Apr 18, 2017 at 11:26 PM Post #1,256 of 4,480
Unfortunately, yes:
http://loudwire.com/opeth-sorceress-album-late-2016/
Regarding Steven Wilson mixing the Sorceress album by Opeth.
I know this is an old post but just in case nobody corrected it, Steven Wilson was never involved with this or at least he's not credited on ether of the Wiki page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sorceress_(Opeth_album)
or the the actual credits on the album itself.

Apr 19, 2017 at 3:25 AM Post #1,257 of 4,480
Well my progressive friends I just received the new 2017 supposed remaster of Porcupine Tree's 'Fear of a Blank Planet'.

The new FOABP is more compressed with a bit less clarity than the 24/48 digital download from Burning Shed. Save your money as I just bought a $13 coaster. C'est la vie.

Steven always talking about flat transfers and how he hates "mastering" so why he thought this was a good idea is beyond me. The DVD-A version I have is without reproach, it was mixed[2.0 and 5.1] and flat transferred by him.

Apr 19, 2017 at 3:41 AM Post #1,258 of 4,480
Any of you picked up the remastered version of Aquarius from Haken? I did and once again compression is the problem, furthermore there a definite "distortion" on the lead in vocals of the first track, that wasn't there on the original version. I bought this since I never had the original version on CD or lossless, as it was OOP for awhile. I became aware of this band last year thanks to this thread, thanks guys.
It's too bad that Haken is not getting the mastering it deserves.

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=Haken&album=

Apr 19, 2017 at 4:44 AM Post #1,259 of 4,480
Any of you picked up the remastered version of Aquarius from Haken? I did and once again compression is the problem, furthermore there a definite "distortion" on the lead in vocals of the first track, that wasn't there on the original version. I bought this since I never had the original version on CD or lossless, as it was OOP for awhile. I became aware of this band last year thanks to this thread, thanks guys.
It's too bad that Haken is not getting the mastering it deserves.

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=Haken&album=

Worse I bought both the remasters of 'Aquarius' and 'Visions'. I agree a great band led astray by poor mastering.

Apr 20, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #1,260 of 4,480
The new Ulver is really, really good. Black metal band puts out a synth-pop album. Well, not really as song structures are intricate and long, which is why I am posting this here. Not sure it is "prog rock" but it is definitely progressive!

<a data-cke-saved-href="http://ulver.bandcamp.com/album/the-assassination-of-julius-caesar" href="http://ulver.bandcamp.com/album/the-assassination-of-julius-caesar">The Assassination of Julius Caesar by Ulver</a>

Users who are viewing this thread

Back