Prog rock
Feb 6, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #316 of 4,420
Jazz fusion group Go Go Penguin dropped a new album, Man Mad Object. Very good album, these guys are super talented and creative. Also recommend their 2.0 album:

tidal.com/album/56710083

tidal.com/album/36534562

@willyvlyminck , where are all your suggestions?? Everything you posted last month has been absolutely wonderful to listen to but I NEED MOAR!

Feb 6, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #317 of 4,420

@willyvlyminck , where are all your suggestions?? Everything you posted last month has been absolutely wonderful to listen to but I NEED MOAR!

Something that I haven't seen posted yet could be one of my favourites: Marillion (Fish era). Some hate on Fish for trying too hard to emulate Peter Gabriel, but I honestly can only appreciate him for doing that. Technically it's Neo-Prog, more easy\melodic?, and with more guitars over synths compared to Genesis.
Misplaced Childhood - Fugazi - Script for a Jester's Tear. Absolute masterpieces imho! Just listen all of them at least once, I don't think you'll be disappointed :wink:

EDIT: Added a Fugazi's song. Can't add one from Misplaced Childhood because it's a concept album :wink:

Feb 6, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #318 of 4,420
Jazz fusion group Go Go Penguin dropped a new album, Man Mad Object. Very good album, these guys are super talented and creative. Also recommend their 2.0 album:

Fanfares is my favourite

Feb 6, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #319 of 4,420
Feb 6, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #320 of 4,420

EDIT: Added a Fugazi's song. Can't add one from Misplaced Childhood because it's a concept album :wink:

Where are the prophets, where are the visionaries...
bigsmile_face.gif
 Fish's lyrics are at their finest on Fugazi, particularly on the title track and Incubus. As you say though, all Fish-era Marillion albums are great. Pity they turned into a pop band after he left!

Feb 6, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #321 of 4,420
As you say though, all Fish-era Marillion albums are great. Pity they turned into a pop band after he left!

Yeah, I hate how much even their stories (Fish-Marillion and Gabriel-Genesis resemble). Damn pop.
I must admit that I also like Fish's solo Albums, and even some pop era Marillion stuff (Marbles and Brave mostly). Can't say the same for pop era Genesis yet. I tried several times to like them but I'm still at the same point of not connection.

As far as Fish's Marillion lyrics I must agree, very fine choice of words by him. Clutching at straws was quite deep once I found out it was autobiographic. Oh, and Rothery is a melody genius imho :D

Feb 6, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #322 of 4,420

tidal.com/album/56710083

tidal.com/album/36534562

@willyvlyminck
 , where are all your suggestions?? Everything you posted last month has been absolutely wonderful to listen to but I NEED MOAR!
I am sorry but I am in holiday( Thailand) I'll be back next friday, but one Suggestion I can give:blush: Present - Certitudes

Feb 6, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #323 of 4,420
Feb 7, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #324 of 4,420
I am sorry but I am in holiday( Thailand) I'll be back next friday, but one Suggestion I can give:blush: Present - Certitudes

Thanks, I'll check it out. You do realize, though, that a vacation in life does not remove you of your proggy headfi responsibilities!

Feb 7, 2016 at 8:03 PM Post #326 of 4,420
This American Progressive band Starcastle had some good albums:

starcastle  Starcastle 1976 - Elliptical Seasons

starcastle  Starcastle 1976 -   Lady Of The Lake

starcastle  Starcastle 1976 -  Nova I put this in for the soundstage way outside of my headphones

Feb 8, 2016 at 7:54 AM Post #328 of 4,420

Something that I haven't seen posted yet could be one of my favourites: Marillion (Fish era). Some hate on Fish for trying too hard to emulate Peter Gabriel, but I honestly can only appreciate him for doing that. Technically it's Neo-Prog, more easy\melodic?, and with more guitars over synths compared to Genesis.
Misplaced Childhood - Fugazi - Script for a Jester's Tear. Absolute masterpieces imho! Just listen all of them at least once, I don't think you'll be disappointed :wink:

Fish is one of the greatest vocalists and lyricists of rock. Those three albums are landmarks of not only progressive rock but music in general, and some of my all-time favorites.
Fish is a poet and an actor, and you can easily get caught in his lyricism. Those 3 albums are also very powerful, haunting and dangerous if you listen to them when you are emotionally down. So be careful :) I know they had a big influence on me when I first listened to them, back in the day :)
As for the Fish / Gabriel comparison, I think they have very little in common, few similarities but otherwise very different in the way they portray their music. And I love Genesis with Peter Gabriel very much too, but in a different way.

Feb 8, 2016 at 8:37 AM Post #329 of 4,420
Some classics refreshed, and in a very good way.
"I Talk To The Wind" Greg Lake's live performance of the King Crimson's classic is excellent.

Keith Emerson & Greg Lake - Live From Manticore Hall (2014)

Steve Hackett - Genesis Revisited II

Users who are viewing this thread

Back