Prog rock
Jan 29, 2016 at 7:07 AM Post #307 of 4,467
Just listened to Dream Theater - The Astonishing...
Wow... very different
Expansive, narrative, cinematic. Really a very interesting musical journey.

Jan 29, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #308 of 4,467
  Just listened to Dream Theater - The Astonishing...
Wow... very different
Expansive, narrative, cinematic. Really a very interesting musical journey.

Musically it didn't really do anything for me. Its sounds pretty compressed too.

Jan 29, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #309 of 4,467
Holy flipping cow!
My apologies if this has been posted before- I didn't pay attention. But if it hasn't, it's worth paying attention to now. A true work of art, beyond what I would ever expect.

The next person who tells me all the great music was 30 years ago or so, is apt to get clocked by me. this is an astonishing work...

Jan 29, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #310 of 4,467
Holy flipping cow!
My apologies if this has been posted before- I didn't pay attention. But if it hasn't, it's worth paying attention to now. A true work of art, beyond what I would ever expect.

The next person who tells me all the great music was 30 years ago or so, is apt to get clocked by me. this is an astonishing work...

Yes, this album is absolutely brilliant. I much prefer the acoustic half but the metal half is good to. This has had a weekly rotation in my lineup for a year now I think.

Jan 30, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #313 of 4,467

Tremendous reinterpretation of some Porcupine Tree best songs, in a Fusion\Big Jazz Band style rearrangement. Gazin never cease to surprize me!

Great production too, crisp and dynamic.
Now I want a new PT album... it's been a long time :) But S. Wilson's Hand Cannot Erase and especially The Raven were great.
But I miss something in Deadwing vein.

Try this new one too:

Steven Wilson 4 ½

Feb 5, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #314 of 4,467
This is one of my dearest albums, and an absolutely over-looked heavy/prog classic. From a band that never, ever got the respect they deserved!

The roots of prog run very, very deep...

Feb 5, 2016 at 7:00 PM Post #315 of 4,467
This is one of my dearest albums, and an absolutely over-looked heavy/prog classic. From a band that never, ever got the respect they deserved!

The roots of prog run very, very deep...
They were big sellers nonethless in the early seventies. The press did not like them but the fans did.Most of my friends did, but they weren't really seen as a prog band because they had hit singles, which was not done, in times where you were expect make a full LP side song by the somethimes snobby prog community. Personally I liked "Take a look at Yourself" the most.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back